Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Can't sleep with my mental health

SystemSystem Posts: 471 Scope community team
This discussion was created from comments split from: EHCP Tribunal appeal.

Replies

• JJackson1JJackson1 Member Posts: 19 Connected
    Hi I need help with my mental health
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,599 Disability Gamechanger
    JJackson1 said:
    Hi I need help with my mental health

HI,

What help would you like? Can you give us some more information and then someone maybe able to advise you.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    I have not been able to sleep with my mental health 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
  • Adrian_ScopeAdrian_Scope Administrator Posts: 7,552 Scope community team
    Hi @JJackson1. Lack of sleep can be really difficult to cope with. Have you spoken to your GP about it? How long has it been going on for? 

Mind says on their website about the link between sleep and mental health:
    There's a close relationship between sleep and mental health. Living with a mental health problem can affect how well you sleep, and poor sleep can have a negative impact on your mental health.

This page also has a range of tips to try and help improve your sleep which you may find helpful.

I've always had difficulty sleeping and have recently tried meditation and mindfulness which has helped somewhat. There are lots of free resources for these available online.
    Senior Community Partner
    Scope

If you have a few minutes to spare, we'd appreciate your feedback on our online community.
  • RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 641 Pioneering
    @JJackson1
    There are videos on YouTube which can help with sleep and also calming music such as rainfall, forest sounds, bird sounds etc on YouTube which might help.

Adrian_Scope thank you

RAwarrior I will look at that 

Hi @JJackson1,
    a tip I got from @leeCal was that if you want to let the person know you have replied to them you need to put an @ before their username. I am new to this only community and I didn’t know about this. I hope the sleep videos help and there are lots of them to chose from.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,619 Scope community team
    Welcome to the community @JJackson1! How are you doing today? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 4,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JJackson1 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

I sometimes have trouble sleeping but find rather than lying there trying to force myself to sleep I get up have a cup of tea and watch bit of TV then go back to bed when I am starting to drift off

Hope your doing ok 
    Sorry to hear that @JJackson1, is there anything further we can do to help? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • kaiasparrowkaiasparrow Member Posts: 28 Courageous
    I recently got the Calm app and the nature soundscapes, especially the City Rain and Thunderstorms ones, help me fall asleep. I have PTSD that causes bad nightmares and ADHD that makes falling asleep hard. I still struggle to stay asleep but the sounds that relax me help me fall asleep so overall I'm getting more. If there is a particular sound that makes you feel calm and relaxed it could be worth a try. I hope you find something that helps x
    @kaiasparrow

I also have PTSD after suffering from workplace bullying and I also get very bad nightmares. As well as videos on YouTube which I have already mentioned there are nots of apps with calming sounds from nature like forest sounds, birds singing etc which I find really help me.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,422 Pioneering
    Hi everyone, another bad sleeper here! I have been working on what helps me get to sleep for a while.  I agree calming sounds and podcasts help.  Also, its an oldie but a goodie, try a warm cup of ovaltine before you go up to bed and some time off screens like your phone.

I saw this advice the other day too which had some tips! https://sleepcouncil.org.uk/advice-support/sleep-advice/sleep-hygiene/ 

Keep me updated with how you get on and we can swap advice.  Wishing you all lots of Zzzzzz's.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @Cher_Scope
    Thank you very much for the information, it’s very useful. I have trouble in getting to sleep and the apps I have mentioned help me to relax. (I meant lots of apps not not as there was a typo in my previous post). I find it so difficult to switch off and it’s really annoying that I think about the very things that cause me anxiety when I need to sleep. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,430 Pioneering
    Hi @RAwarrior :)

Yet another bad sleeper here (it's a hiring requirement at Scope apparently...). I second all of the information about sleep hygiene and mindfulness, they're really important!

RAwarrior said:
    I think about the very things that cause me anxiety when I need to sleep
    Brains are annoying like that! 

If you still find that your thoughts are racing, or you feel anxious in your body, using a distraction technique can help. It feels counter-intuitive to get up and do an activity to help you get to sleep, but I find it really helpful. You can also pair this with better sleep hygiene, by training your body and mind to know that being in bed = time to sleep. I'm not a professional, but I've written a little step-by-step guide below:

1. Allow yourself an amount of time, such as 20 minutes, to try and get to sleep. Set a bed time, and go to bed at that time, regardless of whether or not you feel ready for bed

2. If you don't fall asleep within this time, get up and do an activity outside of the room in which you sleep. Make sure that the activity doesn't involve looking at a screen, and that it's something you find relaxing. For example, I like to do Sudoku or read a good book. Do this for 30 minutes (or less time if you start feeling sleepy)

3. Get back into bed, and try to fall asleep. Give yourself 20 minutes, and keep repeating steps 1 and 2 until you fall asleep

4. Set a waking-up time, and try your best to get up at that time every day, regardless of how much sleep you got

It might not work for you, and I was certainly very tired when I first tried it due to always having to wake up at the same time, but it did help me to get into a better sleep routine in the end.

There are some useful resources on the Psychology Tools website that you could take a look at.

I hope this might be helpful to you! You're definitely not alone.

Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @Tori_Scope
    Thank you very much your suggestions and the link to the website. I will try the things you have suggested. I had Cognitive Behaviour Therapy because I suffer from PTSD as a result of being bullied at work for many years by one person who is still employed  and part of the therapy involved getting the brain to distract itself by focusing on other things. Many thanks😁
    No problem at all @RAwarrior :) I think it's worth a go, and you can always adapt the methods to suit your needs. I know how damaging a bad night's sleep can be.

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, it's good to focus on the positives and try to intercept and question your negative thoughts and behaviours as they come in. Much easier said than done of course! But by reaching out and getting help it seems as though you're on the right track to feeling better.

Please let me know if there's anything else we can help you with. I'm sure I'll continue to see you around.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @Tori_Scope
    Thank you very much. Unfortunately PTSD was not something I had before as my main disability is Rheumatoid Arthritis. I have explained the situation in great detail under the thread I started about workplace bullying. Although I had CBT it was interrupted by Covid19. I have tried to highlight the devastating impact workplace bullying can have on someone who is disabled and already has more than enough to deal with without being targeted by a bully. In my case I was bullied for years by someone who became “teflon coated” because a series of managers stood by and let the bully continue because they would accuse anyone who attempted to challenge their behaviour of racism when it wasn’t true. As I have mentioned in my other posts the bully has been doing this for about 20 years and is still employed. In addition my colleagues stood by whilst I was bullied because some didn’t want to get involved and they were scared of being accused of racism. A senior manager told me that they couldn’t do anything about the bully. I raised a formal grievance with lots of evidence and witnesses ; none of which were interviewed). My employer would rather protect the bully instead of me and unfortunately what many people don’t realise that there are long term effects of being bullied and harassed which include PTSD. Instead of helping me I have been told by numerous staff and managers “to move on”. I am by no means an expert on mental health issues ( I have extensive knowledge about Rheumatoid Arthritis) however, one of the worst things people can say is to move on. If some of the same people had actually tried to stop the daily bullying then I might not be in this situation. I know this thread is about sleep however, my problem directly relates to being bullied. I live in fear of seeing the bully again although they are at another location. I just wish people would think before they choose to target a disabled person because many disabled people struggle to cope with their original disability and having unwelcome additional
    disabilities added are not helpful.  
    Hi @RAwarrior, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm just so sorry it has had such a profound affect on you. You certainly did not deserve any of that.

I hope @Tori_Scope's advice has been helpful and please let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,278 Pioneering
    Meditation before bedtime helps slow down the mental processes and is a good preparation for sleep.
    @Chloe_Scope
    Many thanks for your kind words. I will try Tori’s suggestions. 

Unfortunately the bully is what I would call a serial bully and it doesn’t say much about them when they target disabled people. The person has been allowed to bully people because they don’t want to do any work so they cause a distraction by making vexatious complaints and accusing anyone who tries to tell them their behaviour is wrong of racism. Unfortunately this has been their meal ticket for about 20 years and because even senior managers cover it up the bully knows that nothing will ever be done. I used to have the door slammed in my face when I was carrying a hot drink but the manager told me off because the bully complained that I had left the door open! The same manager is also the direct cause of my PTSD. I could quote 50 examples of what the bully did but the Scope moderators would remove my comments because some of the things the bully said were extremely vulgar, embarrassing and humiliating. Even the comments directed at other staff were horrible because I had to listen to them. Unfortunately the bully enjoyed humiliating other people and if anyone dared complain they would be straight into the manager’s office making a vexatious complaint.

Unfortunately there are always victims of workplace bullying and as I have said before any time bullying awareness is mentioned at work I switch off. 
    I really appreciate the support and kind words I have received from Scope and the online community.

On another note I tagged you by mistake when I replied to a thread about Rheumatoid Arthritis so please accept my apologies as I was supposed to tag Cher and not you😁
    Oh @RAwarrior That sounds horrendous, I am so sorry you had to experience that and am well and truly glad it's all behind you now.  Your story will help other people who might be going through a similar thing so thank you for posting and sharing it.  

If ever you need support us at Scope are here :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @Cher_Scope
    Thank you very much for your kind words and support.
    I think it’s important to highlight workplace bullying because as someone who is disabled I already have enough to deal with without the constant fear of dread I used to have when going to work because I knew what I would face. Bullying and harassment can be extremely difficult to prove. In my case I had the evidence but the main problem is the bully had been getting away with their appalling behaviour for about 20 years and because nobody had addressed it, they were able to carry on. Bullying and harassment has to be addressed at an early stage because in my case the bully was allowed to continue because they had done it at previous locations without being challenged. It wasn’t only comments directed at me as it was also about other disabled people. As a disabled person I want to be part of society and not to be labelled as “a sickie” which was one of the bully’s terms for disabled people. 
    Many thanks again😁
    Hello again @RAwarrior :) It's definitely an important issue to highlight, as no one should have to dread going to work due to workplace bullying (or any reason really!). I'm also really sorry that you had that experience. 

That is dreadful. You are a valuable member of society, and we're all thankful that you're here! I'm so glad you're out of that situation now, and we all look forward to seeing you around as you continue to share your story.

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,278 Pioneering
    @RAwarrior it’s ironic that the bully doesn’t realise he has a disability himself, ie antisocial tendencies.wasn't it always the way. ☹️ 
    @Tori_Scope
    Thank you again for your kind words and support😁

Unfortunately I am still in the situation because not only as a result of being subjected to bullying and harassment for so many years due to the actions of one of the managers who covered up the bullying I have PTSD. I have flashbacks and I see people when I am out who look like the bully and I start to panic. The bully is based at another location with the same employer so I live in dread that I will see them again. 

Unfortunately some people who have been bullied don’t recover even when they no longer see the bully. I have shared my story partly so people realise what the effects of long term bullying can be. This includes PTSD, lack of confidence, low self esteem, feeling worthless, feeling very let down and not being able to trust people for fear that they might harm you. I have always been proud of the fact that I managed to stay in work despite my original disabilities and I was doing a good job. However, when my formal grievance was not upheld despite the huge amount of evidence and witnesses my attitude to work changed so my employer has also lost out. I do my job but not with the enthusiasm or motivation I used to have because my employer didn’t protect me and instead as a direct result of management covering up the bullying because they were scared that the bully would accuse them of racism, I was rewarded by my employer because they chose to do nothing with gaining another illness in the form of PTSD, an illness which I didn’t have before the bully was moved to my workplace. 

It has not only affected my health but my employer has lost out because I used to be far more motivated but now especially when equality is mentioned I switch off. I get fed up about my employer talking about equality because I wasn’t protected. I have previously posted some of the examples of what the bully did and because the manager was scared of a vexatious complaint, I got told off. I am also not talking about one incident, I am talking about years of being subjected to this horrible sustained bullying. 

As I previously mentioned I started CBT which was interrupted by Covid 19.

One of my biggest fears is that I won’t recover from the PTSD and without going into too much detail the PTSD was  reactivated in a very bad way a few months ago because of the actions of the same manager who told me off after the bully had slammed the door in my face. The actions lead to a relapse so a bit like the Jaws film “just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water” it wasn’t and I ended up in a very bad way. 

The problem is that unless someone is the target of the bully it is difficult to understand or in my case they did not listen to what I was trying to tell them  what it’s like so when I told my employer and they still didn’t listen  or they thought they knew what was best for me without asking me the result wasn’t good to put it mildly. Their actions has lead to me having PTSD and if they had only listened perhaps I wouldn’t be in this situation. I am not a mental health expert but what I can say is that PTSD changes the whole way in which you live and interact with others and not being able to trust many people because you are constantly “on guard” because your brain is anticipating an attack is not a great way to live. Unfortunately when people don’t listen and think they know what’s best for someone without considering the consequences this is what can happen.
    Many thanks again 😁
    edited August 10
    Hi @RAwarrior,

I can see that the workplace bullying is something that is still affecting you to this day. Being apart from the bully certainly doesn't solve all of the problems by any means, but it does hopefully give you the space to start to recover. It's unfortunate that your CBT has been interrupted by COVID19, but I hope that there are plans in place for you to resume therapy as soon as it's possible? Is this something you could inquire about? Or, alternatively, could telephone or video therapy be an option for you? I know it's not available, accessible, or appropriate for everyone for a number of reasons.

I'm also sorry that your work has been affected. It doesn't sound like your employer dealt with the situation very well, either. 

I'd like to point you towards Mind's page on workplace relations if that's okay. I think there's some useful information on there. 

I'm not a mental health professional but, for what it's worth, I do think that you should stick with the CBT when you're able to resume. I believe that you can make more progress :) We're all rooting for you.

@leeCal
    Thank you very much for your comments😁
    The irony is that the bully accused me of being a sociopath.
     I didn’t want to bring this up because I am very wary of upsetting other people who have mental health conditions, however, unfortunately one of the ways in which the bully became untouchable was by saying that they had mental health issues, however, they also admitted to me that they “used their mental health issues by pretending that they had issues so that no manager could ever touch them.” This type of behaviour does a terrible disservice to people who actually do have mental health conditions and suffer because others don’t believe them.  However, my mental health didn’t matter to my employer because they stood by and did nothing and as a result I have mental health issues which I previously didn’t have.
    @Tori_Scope
    Thanks again for your kind words and support😁
    I will look into restarting the CBT and someone mentioned EMDR therapy which may be able to help with PTSD.

Thank you for sending me the link to Mind’s website and I will have a look at this.

My employer didn’t deal with the bullying at all. The bully used to make regular derogatory comments about disabled people, racist comments and mock certain religions, all of which are illegal. Many of the comments were made openly with lots of witnesses. The bully had previously physically attacked two members of staff before moving to my workplace. However, when I had no choice but to raise a formal grievance it was covered up. The bully would accuse anyone who tried to tell them their behaviour was unacceptable of racism. As I said before that workplace bullying has to be tackled at an early stage. The bully has been destroying people’s lives for at least 20 years and will continue unless a manager actually addresses what is a very serious issue. I tried to complain to a senior manager who said “you do know we can’t touch him?”
    It might seem so far fetched but all of this actually happened and I unfortunately have to live with the consequences whilst that particular manager has since moved on. The bully really enjoyed harming people and insulting them when all I wanted to do was go to work. 
    Many thanks 😊 

Hi @RAwarrior

Of course, it's no problem. We're all here to try and support you in any way we can. 

Great! Yeah, I've heard a little bit about EMDR, but can't say I know much about it. It's worth investigating!

That sounds really terrible. I wouldn't want to give legal advice, but it might be worth having a look at what possible paths there are for escalating your complaints further, if you haven't already. 

I believe you, and I think your feelings about it are totally valid. I hope you can find some solace in engaging with the Scope community :) 

@Tori_Scope
    Many thanks😁
    I read a very good book about PTSD which was written by a psychiatrist and EMDR was one of the treatments he mentioned. In addition there are lots of videos on YouTube and on Ted Talks about PTSD and how the brain deals with trauma. I am not a medical expert but the two main features which I have come across in the book and by watching the videos is that there are two main ways in which the brain reacts to trauma, one is to constantly be on alert preparing for something bad to happen and the other is for the brain  to desensitise itself so the person feels nothing so doesn’t actually enjoy anything. By reading the book it helped me to understand more about PTSD, the treatments and exactly what it means which actually helped me.

Unfortunately it’s too late to seek legal advice as I would have had to appeal against my grievance not being upheld but because of the poor state of my health at the time I had to choose between pursuing it and the real possibility of my health deteriorating further or for the sake of my health not to appeal. In the end because of the complete lack of support from my employer I knew that I would have to go to an Employment Tribunal which would impact my health. What many people don’t understand that it can be extremely difficult for a disabled person to go to an employment tribunal because they don’t have the energy, stamina and the strength that is needed because it’s not a short process. The managers colluded with each other to ensure that no action was taken in relation to the bully so they didn’t protect my health.

Thank you for saying you believe me because that makes a huge difference to me because one of the issues was not being believed when I tried to stop the bullying and harassment. 

As I have said before the bully has a history of violence towards other staff yet they remain in employment and from what I learnt afterwards they had been moved from different places instead of being dismissed. It might seem harsh in what I have said but the covering up of the bullying even before they came to my workplace has directly lead to the problems I now have yet if something had been done before I  wouldn’t be in this situation but continuously covering up the bully’s behaviour will only lead to them ruining more lives.

Hopefully one day someone will have the strength I didn’t have to go to an Employment Tribunal because the bully won’t ever stop so will harm other people and perhaps the managers will have to explain to an ET judge about how they can justify the bully’s behaviour. People sometimes forget it’s the employer that is liable because of vicarious liability which had I gone to a tribunal would have been interesting to see how an ET judge would have felt about me having the door slammed in my face when I was carrying a hot drink especially when I am disabled. 

On a positive note, I am really grateful to you and the rest of the Scope online community who have been extremely helpful, supportive and understanding. I feel that I have been able to explain what happened without fear of reprisals and I have been helped by the online community. As I said before unless it happens to someone many people don’t want to know, don’t care and stand by and watch whilst someone’s life is being destroyed. However, the bully chose to pick on me because I am disabled, nowhere near the same build, size etc and unfortunately it is like being back at school when bullies don’t pick on people of their own size. 

I am really grateful that I do feel supported by the Scope online community. I can no longer speak to anyone at work about this because all I get is apathy, get told to move on or even worse the” if it was me I wouldn’t have let them do that to me” scenario which in reality is very  unhelpful. Many say I would have challenged the bully so why did one of my colleagues who knew exactly what I was going through say to me that because the bully hadn’t targeted them they would not support me?

Many thanks to you and the rest of the Scope online community😁

Ahh thank you for your kind words @RAwarrior! This is exactly what the Scope online community is here for and I am so pleased that you felt able to share your story and got the support you deserve.  As long as you feel the need to talk about it and process your experience of bullying, we are here.  

By the way, I totally understand you finding your colleagues words unhelpful.  Although they may come from a good place, sometimes people inadvertently put their foot in it or don't help matters.  Try to go to the people who you know 'get it' so you don't end up feeling worse :/  I hope you are good today! 

@Cher_Scope
    Thank you for your kind comments and support.
    Unfortunately there are the people at work who simply don’t care because it didn’t happen to them, some that see disabilities especially mental health as a weakness, the ones that get involved in equality or mental health issues as a tick box exercise or to get promotion and the ones that say they have “psychology qualifications” and that I need to move on.

When the bully was based at my workplace  (I can’t say worked because most of the time was spent   causing trouble so they didn’t do much work) the bully was the elephant in the room because people used to walk on eggshells when the bully came into work and when they weren’t there the atmosphere was completely different. Everyone knew about the bullying but chose not to do anything. The fact that the bullying was covered up by so many senior managers has made it worse. I can’t name my employer but I doubt this would have been tolerated with a different employer especially the physical violence before the bully was moved to my workplace. 

As I said previously 
    I really appreciate the help, understanding and support I have received from the online community. I know how to manage my original condition i.e. Rheumatoid Arthritis, however, what I find hard to cope with is PTSD. I don’t think some people understand that with a mental illness there are many unknowns and what really hurts the most that I got this as a direct result of being bullied and harassed at work when all I wanted to do was to go to work and do a good job. Unfortunately the bully was moved to my workplace and that’s when my life changed. The irony is that I managed to cope really well with having Rheumatoid which a very serious illness but thanks to the bully and their enablers which are the managers I now have PTSD. 

Many thanks again for all of your support😁

Just wanted to pop on and say hi @RAwarrior! I'm glad you have this space to be able to share your thoughts. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    @Chloe_Scope
    Thank you very much😁
    I appreciate the fact that I can share what happened without being judged and without fear of reprisals.
    Many thanks to you and the Scope online community 👍
    You are more than welcome! :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
Sign in or join us to comment.