Issues with EHCP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Issues with EHCP

Options
samnick79
samnick79 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited August 2020 in Education
Local authority

Comments

• samnick79
    Options
    Has anyone dealt with local authorities on echp and there illegal ways 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samnick79

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I’m one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope.

Here’s some info for you below with regards to “echp”

https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/asking-ehcp-review/

Please let me know if there’s anything problems with this info??

@steve51
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samnick79 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us here.

I dont really know anything about EHCP myself but I am sure there are other members here who can help. I have certainly reead other posts about this, maybe have a look in our parentsd and carers section or parents of disabled children.

If you can give a bit more information about your query I hope somebody can herlp
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @samnick79 and welcome to the online community.

What's the issue you're having with EHCP? I'm sure the members would love to provide any advice for you.

Ross
    Online Community Coordinator 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • samnick79
    Options
    Hi and thank you for your reply
    my son has autism with associated difficulties. Our special needs school was shut down last year for nearly 3 months as  ofstead inspectors stated it was inadequate. From that point I have asked for a reassessment of my sons needs and a annual review as I have recently found out they have put thing in paperwork that’s not true and false and held annual reviews without me and changed my sons needs without me all false . I’m stuck in a web of corruption caused by school and the local authorities and I’m unable to get my sons real needs noticed and I’m running out of time as he is supposed to start secondary when he goes back. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @samnick79 thanks for getting back to us :) 

Sorry to hear about that, it sounds very stressful, your son deserves all the help he is entitled to to enable him to receive a fair education. 

Is the school you're referring to at the end there the school your son is due to attend from September? Is it his new school who are not being helpful as well as the local authorities? 

I would suggest contacting your MP if both the school and local authorities are failing to give you the help you require, your MP might be able to intervene.

I'm sure other members on the community will be able to advise better than me in this particular area. 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @samnick79

That sounds like a very stressful situation, and I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling to get your son's needs addressed, especially when he's starting at secondary school in September! 

Did you give the link @steve51 sent a read? It outlines how you can challenge EHCPs, amongst other things. If you have any further questions, please do ask! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi & welcome @samnick79 - I'm sorry to read about the difficulties you're facing with your son's EHCP.
    The only thing I can add, is to also draw your attention to IPSEA (Independent Provider of Special Education Advice) in the link Steve gave above, as they may be able to help with advice. Please see: https://www.ipsea.org.uk/
    Please kindly let us know how you get on, thank you. :)

• samnick79
    Options
    Hi and thank you I’m unable to get an appointment for a month now and also I tried in February 
  • samnick79
    Options
  • samnick79
    Options
    MPs are on leave until September 1st I tried that yesterday after speaking with one of your helpers she was lovely and also tried herself to get me an appointment with Ipsea yesturday then advices me to contact my local mp
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Hi @samnick79

Just to clarify, did you try to contact your MP yesterday? I'm only checking because MPs are often still open to contact from constituents, even when on recess.

• samnick79
    Options
    Yes I went through to the parliament switchboard and asked for Valery yaz who is my local mp and the lady said all mps are on leave until September 1 st
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Why haven't you been attending the reviews? You are supposed to be invited to attend, your childs needs are then stated during the review. Once this has been done and all agreed with the plan then goes before a board where it needs to be agreed with others from your local council.

I've recently done my daughters EHCP through a video call with myself, my daughter, eldest daughter, teacher and someone from my local council.

Once it's all be agreed they are then supposed to send you the new updated EHCP.

It's very likely that the new updated review will not be completed until he starts the new school. Even then it may not be a face to face meeting, it could potentially be through video call.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Ah that is frustrating @samnick79. I'm not sure what else to suggest, other than continuing to try and speak to IPSEA and the school, and speaking to Valerie once she is back from recess. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.