Music!! Who plays an instrument or produces / records?? :D — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music!! Who plays an instrument or produces / records?? :D

Simon1986
Simon1986 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
I used to produce a few years ago, and am looking to get back into it, and was just wondering if there are any other keen musicians on here??

I sing, play guitar, and a bit of drums - I love pretty much everything except for some country! :P

Here's a link to some things I used to dabble with.... https://www.soundcloud.com/simon-powell-recording

If you've got any music online, or just want to jump into the conversation then pop a reply up!!

Comments

• csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Simon1986 said:
    I used to produce a few years ago, and am looking to get back into it, and was just wondering if there are any other keen musicians on here??

I sing, play guitar, and a bit of drums - I love pretty much everything except for some country! :P

Here's a link to some things I used to dabble with.... https://www.soundcloud.com/simon-powell-recording

If you've got any music online, or just want to jump into the conversation then pop a reply up!!
    Hi Simon,

I play both drums and percussion.  I recently got a synthesiser and I am currently taking piano lessons. It is nice to have another musician in this forum. I understand mike hughescq is also a musician. 

I wonder if there are any more?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to play bass, sing and keyboards up to a point, but, it was a long time ago ?‍? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• fieldsofnew
    fieldsofnew Community member Posts: 46 Listener
    violin, singer, bands... now solo! (we are older and my friends have children) I listened to your first track and loved it. The lyrics and composition were really powerful and beautiful...very honest and a unique, brave voice... thank you. 

I am wondering about pro tools at the moment to home record ~ I know how to use garageband but not pro tools. I can also only use the garageband app on my phone as I don't have a macbook and its only compatible there. But it no longer suffices as I want to record properly... Do you have any suggestions, should I just learn how to use pro tools on my laptop? I have a demo downloaded but it looks so daunting. I have one of those adaption things where you plug in the instruments to then the computer, yet when I set it up, it isn't a 64 something so wouldn't work with the laptop?

Do you have any advice for me?

thank you so very much!
    lOve
    S
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to play the piano! I loved it. Although, my hands aren't very cooperative anymore!  
    Scope

• Simon1986
    Simon1986 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hey guys!

Thanks for the replies, ah it's nice to meet some other musicians! :)

@csno01 - that's really cool, I find drumming so hard! Getting my hands and feet to do different things in rhythm is definitely not a strong point! :)

@fieldsofnew - I actually use a program called Cubase - I've used ProTools, Logic, Ableton and FL Studio, as well as Reason; but always find myself heading back to Cubase, it's really intuitive and nice and bright which I find helps a lot :) Thanks for the kind words about the track - that one was a set of professionally recorded stems that I got my hands on to mix and master, so all I've done is balanced it and used it to practice mixing / mastering

@leeCal & @Chloe_Scope - it's a shame you guys don't play anymore, I take it you both still like to listen to a lot though?

Cheers all!

• CMM
    CMM Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I use Cubase as well and FL10-12.I have just bought a Zoom R16 and have a Casio CT-X3000 for the piano and other sounds.For the price the Casio is great.I have used loads of VST's etc and i have a 25 key X-Station.I also have a DJX-1 for sale,boxed-£100.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Definitely @Simon1986, I listen to music all of the time. :)
    Scope

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Simon1986 I do listen to music occasionally but I have tinnitus badly, playing bass guitar I was usually asked to stand next to the drummer and they often had a habit of smashing their cymbals etc, very bad for ears it turns out. Adding to the damage was working years ago in a very noisy factory and on construction sites without ear muffs, before health and safety became popular. Thankfully those days are behind me. I do miss the old bass playing though. Tinnitus is deafening silence!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Simon1986! I used to play saxophone, but haven't in a few years. I should really get back into it.

Your songs are really well produced!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • amsofly
    amsofly Community member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Hi @Simon1986 I love music so very much. I've just registered for a guitar class and I think I'm doing very well... Hope to become a PR someday... Smile.
  • csno01
    leeCal said:
    I used to play bass, sing and keyboards up to a point, but, it was a long time ago ?‍? 
    Hi leeCal, 

Good to have you with us. Sounds fun. Do you not play at all now? Not even for your own personal enjoyment?
  • csno01

@fieldsofnew: I imagine Pro Tools is daunting as it is the full package as apposed to Garageband being more entry. I haven’t used Pro Tools myself so can’t give an opinion on it. I used Cubase on PC, prior to switching to Mac a couple of years ago. Downside is, I sold all of my equipment shortly after finishing my course, hence me not having a use for it. 

Good luck!

@chloe_Scope: I am sorry to hear you had to give it up. I had the opportunity to learn it when I was younger, but I went down the Drums  / Percussion route instead. I have since bought a Synthesizer and am I now having lessons. 

@Simon1986: Which version of Cubase are you currently running? I have used:

Cubase SL v1.06 (which I know is no longer supported). It is the version I had on PC.   

Cubase SX 1: At college

Cubase SX 3: Which I bought at a later date.

Today my current setup is:

MacBook Pro MacOS High Sierra (Considering when to upgrade to the newer version) Advice welcome.

Roland TD-1KPX2 Electric Drums

Yamaha E363 Synth

On a similar note, do you have & use an Audio Interface? Are these a necessity? How do they compare to a Mixer? 

@Chloe_Scope:  You are right. Music is the best medicine. What is your Platform of choice? I use Spotify. Due to its capacity, I struggle to choose what to listen to hence you can find anything on there. 

@leeCal: Sorry to hear that. I hope you can still enjoy listening to music today?

Welcome to the discussion @Tori_Scope & @amsofly.

• Chloe_Scope
    Spotify all the all @csno01! Although, my boyfriend is clinging on to his iTunes library!  :D
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Another huge music fan, there's nothing I find more therapeutic than sticking on my headphones and listening to my favourite artists.

I used to play drums many years ago, and like a couple of people on here I want to get back into it at some point when I have room for a drum kit.

I've used Google Play Music, YouTube Music, Amazon Music and Spotify in the past, but I'm now settled on Spotify. It has the best discovery tools and it integrates well with my smart speakers.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • csno01
    Spotify all the all @csno01! Although, my boyfriend is clinging on to his iTunes library!  :D 

@Chloe_Scope Good choice. I can't understand why people like ITunes so much. The issue I have with Spotify though is that playback will occasionally stop. Why is this? Have you experienced this before? 
  • csno01
    I am trying to record audio from a Minidisc into the Garageband App on my Mac, although I am having problems. I was wondering if someone could help me please? I have my Minidisc player connected from the headphones output to the headphones input on my Mac but when I record, no data appears on my screen / track. Suggestions welcome. Thank you.
  • CMM
    edited August 2020
    csno01..DO NOT connect the Minidisc headphone output into any headphone socket on your computer.Headphone sockets output sound and so is the minidisc player from it's headphone socket.

• CMM
    csno01.Also do not connect the minidisc headphone out into the mic input as the mic input is far too sensitive.You need an external soundcard into the usb socket then connect the minidisc via a 3.5mm to 2 rca phono plugs,then connect the 2 phono plugs into the sound card.
  • CMM
    Hope that helps.
  • CMM
    Ask for further help...it's easy.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.