Back to work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back to work

NellyMaggie
NellyMaggie Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
Hi everybody, hope you’re all safe and well...it’s not be easy my return to work. My neurologist said that I can’t make night shifts but they we’re giving me least hours I’m suppose to do 32 to 35 hours a week, and I was doing 12  to 15 hours a week. So I talk to them and they start given me more hours, but night shifts. The brain tumour damage me a little bit, because of the epilepsy I have troubles in concentration, confusion all kind of this annoying things. Some colleagues treat me in a way that I don’t like, so It’s being very stressful I just wish I could stay at home, and avoid people. The good news is that I’m six months seizure free, the medication is working I have another appointment in October. I’m like Dory from finding Nemo, I’m always, always forgetting things ? so I just “keep swimming...just keep swimming!! By everybody stay safe and take care ?? 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there Have you spoke to your employers about reasonable adjustments in the workplace. It is quite common that night shifts are not always suitable for people with epilepsy as the condition can be triggered by sleep pattern

I suggest you ask to be referred to Occupational health who will do an assessment and recommend any adjustments required to assist you at work

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, there is a lot of information on here about reasonable adjustments
  • NellyMaggie
    edited August 2020
    Janer1967 
    Hello Yes I talk to the general manager and she knows my condition

I was thinking  asking to the neurologist on the next appointment to add this matter on the report, that he always send to me. She din’t ask me anything but maybe it will work, If not I have to do something  to get a reasonable adjustment the night shifts are really heavy for me and I’m starting to have trouble  sleeping. 

I was having a lot of seizures, night and days seizures they know about it. I just don’t want to get worst again

I’m going ask to be referred to the occupational health  

Thank you so much for your help 
  • NellyMaggie
    edited August 2020
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Your welcome if you need anymore help just ask 

Keep us updated 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Let us know how speaking to Occupational Health goes @NellyMaggie! I'm sorry that you've not been having a good time of it recently. Just keep swimming... but don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NellyMaggie you ok this evening, you have my sympathy, its Monday and I've had my first seizure of the week already ! I'm glad to hear that the meds are working for you, they haven't for me in 23 years now, it's great that you have been able to return to work and I hope you get your problems there sorted.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• NellyMaggie
    Hi @woodbine I’m so sorry to hear that, it’s a horrible feeling im really sorry, don’t loose hope there’s alternative medication that combined with the ones you took maybe il work and medicine it’s moving forward keep faith it much be horrible not be able to control the epilepsy. I became epileptic after a left parasagittal brain tumour in May last year I had my first seizure at work and another one on the hospital I almost died, but thank god I’m  still alive walking and talking. I was doing fine during a few months after surgery and then the seizures started. 

It’s not easy I really hope your doctor find the right medication for you!! ?

• NellyMaggie
    edited August 2020

@Tory_Scop I will say how it works 
    thanks for the support, wen I wrote the post it was only to let out, I’m glad I did it 
    And I will keep swimming ...?
    stay safe 
  • NellyMaggie
    @janer1967 I will ask and I will keep you updated xx 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    That’s amazing to here I wish you well . When you say your work colleagues don’t treat you well what do you mean ? X
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm glad you're glad @NellyMaggie! We all need a good vent sometimes. 

Thanks, and I hope you stay safe too :) 

• NellyMaggie
    @Cupcake88  thank you I wish you well to! 
    they treat me like I was the stupidest person in the world, with could shoulder. Every single day I have to prove that I’m capable to do my job. I’m a chef and I’m really tired that everyday they do the same. They know my condition I have to live with it every single day, he suppose to be enough, the least thing that I need is to be humiliated! 
    I’ve been thinking about getting another job xx

• NellyMaggie
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @NellyMaggie, just wanted to check in to see how you are doing today. :)
    Scope

• Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry that you're being treated like that by your work colleagues @NellyMaggie, no one deserves to experience that. Is there a complaints procedure you could look into? 

And thank you for your kind words :) That's made my week

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.