MR for PIP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

MR for PIP

Floydiee1995
Floydiee1995 Community member Posts: 112 Courageous
Hi all, 

I have recently had my PIP claim letter come back and I have not been awarded for mobility or daily living even with lots and lots of evidence. I am so frustrated and have been scored 0 points for everything. I have a physical disability and I had a telephone assessment. 

Is it worth me re-applying? Or asking for MR considering I have scored 0 in every category? Which to me is completely unfair!! I am so, so stressed with it all now. 

Many thanks

Comments

• cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Did you medical evidence how your condition affects you from my understanding its not the disability its self they go off its how it affects you sorry to here this . How soon did it take you to here back I have been waiting just over 2 weeks now . 
  • Floydiee1995
    Hi @cupcake88

i had mine back a little over 2 weeks so you should most likely hear back by the end of this week depends how busy they are. 

I have had a number of complications with My osteo arthritis and have had to go down to part time work in a much smaller care home that I was working in and soon enough I won’t be able to work there at all as I can’t work much on my affected feet it’s getting worse everyday. 

They put in it that because I have told them I work in a care home they “assume” I’m able to stand for long periods of time. Also that on the phone I didn’t sound to be in any pain or discomfort ?? bearing in mind this was a telephone consultation for a mobility problem which is now getting me psychologically down and haven’t even mentioned that once! 

I can’t stop crying I’m getting so frustrated with the whole situation and it’s bringing me down so much. 
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Many of us get 0 points initially and then go on to get the correct award at tribunal or even just at MR if you're lucky!  Success rates for MR appear to be much higher than normal so that's definitely your next step.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry @Floydiee1995 It's so disheartening to receive a claim letter that doesn't fairly reflect how your impairment affects you.  

Moving forwards this link from the Citizens Advice might help you if you decide to go through the MR process https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/appeals/mandatory-reconsideration/
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Floydiee1995
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

Many thanks for your reply. I think I’m going to try MR. I was just go smacked that I got 0 on everything even with my consultant putting in writting that I I’m soon to be having a full ankle replacement because my OA is so severe and it’s not going to get any better which will reduce my mobility massively. 

I didn’t know that a lot of people tend to score 0! Is it best too call them or just send a form back? 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Floydiee1995 Welcome to the community, glad you have joined us

I would advise to appeal the decision rather than apply again, if you repeatedly apply with the same evidence and form completion you will likely get the same result and also the claim would start from scratch

You have 1 month to submit a MR and do this in writing writing looking at each descriptor and where you think you should have scored points.

Give rea, examples of what happens when you try and do this task, any aids you use, any support you need can you do it safely and repeatedly. Dont just say you cant do the task give explanation why you cant.

Hope this helps and it is just my opinion others may think better to apply again

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

Many thanks for your reply. I think I’m going to try MR. I was just go smacked that I got 0 on everything even with my consultant putting in writting that I I’m soon to be having a full ankle replacement because my OA is so severe and it’s not going to get any better which will reduce my mobility massively. 

I didn’t know that a lot of people tend to score 0! Is it best too call them or just send a form back? 
    It's best to put the MR in writing so you can make sure to get all of your points across effectively.  You can phone if you prefer though.  Yes, I was also shocked by the 0 points but after joining this forum have seen that it's really not uncommon!

The imminent ankle replacement is a difficult situation for PIP as it shows that your mobility could change soon.  They may also take the view that you'll be able to walk perfectly with a new ankle.  

Consultant reports often aren't the best type of evidence though.  Generally it's suggested to give one or two examples for each task, what happened last time, what aids you use or help you needed...  It's worth having another look at the PIP descriptors to work out which ones apply to you and focus on those.
  • Floydiee1995
    Hi @OverlyAnxious

It's best to put the MR in writing so you can make sure to get all of your points across effectively.  You can phone if you prefer though.  Yes, I was also shocked by the 0 points but after joining this forum have seen that it's really not uncommon!

The imminent ankle replacement is a difficult situation for PIP as it shows that your mobility could change soon.  They may also take the view that you'll be able to walk perfectly with a new ankle.  

Consultant reports often aren't the best type of evidence though.  Generally it's suggested to give one or two examples for each task, what happened last time, what aids you use or help you needed...  It's worth having another look at the PIP descriptors to work out which ones apply to you and focus on those.
    Yes I think that’s what I shall do. I have no reason not to try if all fails again then so be it but I suppose it’s worth the shot. 

Yeah that’s what’s confuses me as my condition varies from day to day so I assume I just put in what a bad day is like? Compared to a good day. 

It’s extremely hard with this condition as the consultant put in the letter the next op is my only option and they will fuse the bones with the replacement as it’s spread from my ankle but that’s obviously not enough. 
  • janer1967
    Hi the MR will only consider what your condition was like when you applied not any worsening as it is the original decision you are appealing 

Also PIp is about how you are affected the majority of time not just your worst day so it usnt advisable to base your claim on your worst day 

Also you need to expect condition to last at least 9 months so this could have been factor in their decision 
  • Floydiee1995
    janer1967 said:
    Hi the MR will only consider what your condition was like when you applied not any worsening as it is the original decision you are appealing 

Also PIp is about how you are affected the majority of time not just your worst day so it usnt advisable to base your claim on your worst day 

Also you need to expect condition to last at least 9 months so this could have been factor in their decision 
    Hi, well that’s the thing when I applied was in the November which was at it’s worse and I could barely walk at all so had to be in sick leave until my surgery. The condition is a life thing and having my ankle replaced and fused will be the icing on the cake basically as I will not be able to mobilize properly at all. 

I just assume until I have this next surgery and see how it turns out after there isn’t much I can do regarding PIP 
  • janer1967
    You can still do the MR as you have nothing to lose 

I empathise with lack of mobility I lost my leg 3 years ago but after a while you adjust and learn new ways of coping 
  • male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    hi @Floydiee1995
    Welcome to the community. You will find here a great place to find support and advice.
    I'm sorry to hear about your results.
    I too had a bad set of results two years ago and asked for a MR. Turned down on that which often is the case with many..so after that its on to the appeal tribunal. 
    This can take a long time happening depending on your area and because of covid-19 but do apply for the tribunal  and don't dishearten. 
    Source outside help such as Citizens Advice. They will have welfare officers in various areas, one of whom will support you throughout. 
    Please keep in touch with the community and update when as you go.
    Best wishes.

Best Wishes 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Many of us get 0 points initially and then go on to get the correct award at tribunal or even just at MR if you're lucky!  Success rates for MR appear to be much higher than normal so that's definitely your next step.

I disagree with that. Lots of people claim PIP successfully first time without any problems at all, it's just we rarely hear the gfood stories only the bad ones.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome @Floydiee1995

You said you sent lots and lots of evidence but what sort of evidence did you send? Did it state exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors? It's rare for any medical evidence to state this, which is why usually it's not very helpful. Also sending in huge amounts of evidence isn't needed and generally not helpful, less is often more.

I don't advise you to reapply, doing this and using the same evidence you just used will very likely see another refusal and the whole process starts all over again.

What you should do is request the MR in wirting stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Then add a couple of real life examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descreiptor that applies to you.

I see you work, people do claim PIP and work but do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it can go against you.

Hope this helps. Good luck with the MR.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • river123
    river123 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Hi @Floydiee1995 Sorry to hear that.. I am in the same boat as you, I found out today my decision was 2 points witch is a total farce if you ask me. I am going to go in for a MR too but I’m like you in thinking if I scored so low would there be much hope.  I feel for you as I no how your feeling..
  • Debbie1234
    Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
    Hi ? and welcome!
    I too experienced a shock decision 8 weeks ago as I got 2 for daily living and 0 for mobility. I sent off for the MR and it went in my favour. I would agree with the other comments, it's not just about sending hospital letters etc....
    I found letters from my family and friends who know me best and how my illness affects me and what they witness worked much better for some reason. I ended up with 11 points daily and 4 points mobility. I have bravely just appealed that decision too and sent in a detailed submission letter stating why I feel I should of received more for mobility.
    I know you work, is there anyone at work that has maybe seen your struggles that can back you up. 
    I sent off a lot more evidence and wrote in more detail how my illness affects me on a daily basis. I never mentioned that my illness was worse on any days in particular. But I did say that my illness fluctuated up and down. (But mine is mainly mental health)
    this website really spurs you on and cheers you up and you feel everyone encouraging one another. I hope it goes well for you. Don't give up if you truly know in your heart what you are entitled to.
  • river123
    river123 Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Hi @Debbie1234, was yours changed then with a MR from 0 points to 11 points daily? That has definitely given me some faith in a MR.. I’m sorry to hear it wasn’t the score you wanted and I hope you end up getting the score you deserve. How long from sending of your MR did you hear back if you don’t mind me asking? I am going to take on board what you have said and try it out myself ?
  • Debbie1234
    Awww I'm glad I have given you a little faith. Yes I only got 2 points daily and 0 mobility. I almost passed out as my last award in 2018 I scored 11 points daily and 4 points mobility. I sent of my MR straight away and thankfully I kept my last assessment scores and sent those in and explaining my daily life had got significantly worse since then so how did I only score such low points. It took 8 weeks for them to decide in all. A DWP worker phoned me 3 days before my letter came to tell me it had gone in my favour. I am happy with my award, but I had put in for it again (encouraged to say my condition had worsened) so it has taken 6 months of pure hell from start to finish to end up where I was in the first place. I have been told the risk isn't that bad and I still get a chance to keep my standard living award if things don't go my way.
    You go for it and I wish you all the best. Fight for what you think you deserve. I felt the whole process is demoralising and I found the DWP patronising. I felt like a criminal on trial. I have my mental illness through no fault of my own and nobody but you knows what you go through on a daily basis. I kept a personal diary for a week too and wrote every detail throughout the day and how my illness affected me and I sent that in ? medication list, family letters that I asked to be written from their point of view etc....
    we are rooting for you ?
  • Debbie1234
  • Debbie1234
    I found these sample appeal form submission letters on anxiety etc....
    it gave me a template to work from and I personalised it to myself. I can try and get you a MR one if it will help you ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.