Pip update — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip update

cupcake88
cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
I wasn’t sure whether to say any thing or not because I felt kind of guilty that a few people on here were not successful with pip so I didn’t want to seem like I was bragging but it might help some people to hear a positive story . I called the pip line today to ask when my report was comming to my shock they told me I had been awarded pip for higher rate daily living and lower mobility I was so shocked I actually went into a panic . 

There was a few posts on here about mental health and pip . I suffer with ocd , anxiety and ptsd psychosis . I  was nearly killed by my exe partner and was in a abusive relationship with that same person when I was in my early and mid 20s I’m in my 30s now . The after affects of his abusive didn’t set in and until a couple of years after leaving the situation . I didn’t deal with my demon so to speak it got worst and worst over the years it’s taken over my life and I was starting  to feel like a victim well today after hearing I got my pip made me feel like a survivor it’s really given me some independence Back  . I’m not sure how long it was for forgot to ask but will get the letter soon .

im really happy but also feel bad for others who haven’t got there’s first time . I hope no one thinks I’m bragging I just wanted to share with you all . I really am grateful to you all for making me feel so welcome . 

And just want to say that if there’s any one on here who is suffering with a mental illness don’t let that put you off from claiming pip it put me off and look what happened I was awarded it .  Thank you to every one for your support 
you have all made me feel like I’m not alone .

xx

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for sharing your news! that's fantastic and i'm really happy for you. It's lovely to have a possitive story instead of the usual bad ones.

I hope that you'll now finally able to relax just a little and maybe go and treat yourself to something nice with your backdated money when it arrives in your bank.

Just wanted to add also that you shouldn't feel guilty for being awarded a disability benefit successfully first time. You'll be added to all the other successful awards :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    @cupcake88 that's absolutely fantastic! Honestly I'm so happy for you :) we need the good stories too! Enjoy spending your backpay  :)
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Brilliant news! @cupcake88

Hearing the positive stories really helps a lot.
    I recently applied on mental health grounds and it's good to hear you got the award you deserved and encourages others like me to keep hoping and to not give up!

Best wishes for the future  :)
  • cupcake88
    Thank you so much will
    keep you All updated On how long I get it for ? 

If I feel better next year I have More good days and wish to return to work part time do I have to let them know ? I can’t see my self being able to for a long time I have these days where I feel like oh maybe I can go to work then I can’t leave front door and it wastes people’s time . I can’t explain how much this will change my life I can contribute to this house hold and feel more independent can concentrate on getting better . I was up all night scared to sleep so I feel so much relaxed . 

I hope they i will feel better next year I wish my mental health nurse can wave a magic wand and I’ll be better . I get my back pay in a few days can I ask does it usually go in and mid night and when Willy August pip go in will that be in with my pip or will I get that at the end of August how does that work ? I’m so scarred some thing will go wrong can they cancel the pip or change the amount one the decision has been made ? 
  • cupcake88
    @cress keep going I couldn’t of done this with out you all @poppy123456 especially you your knowledge on pip is amazing I’m so so greatful and to every one , I just really hope I get better one day and be like how I was not scared of my shadow . 
  • cupcake88
    @poppy123456 is there a chance your pip can be stoped at any time ? Or is that rare do they usually pay on time ? 
  • cupcake88
    Also when do they usually do a review like a few months before it’s up ? Hopefully I don’t have to worry bout it for another year or so but then agaIn I always worry but I do feel bit better , 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    People do claim PIP and work without any problems at all. It's not means tested as you know. If you start back working, you don't need to ring them to tell them but if the work you do contradicts the reasons you're claiming it then it could go against you when you're reviewed.

Stop your PIP? for what reason? Nope, that's not likely to happen. I've been claiming it since 2013 and they've never missed a payment. It's paid every 4 weeks on a Wednesday for me.

Thank you for your kind words, they really do mean a lot. I'm glad there are some who appreciate my advice here. :)

Please try to relax more now, if you possibly can. You should receive your backdated money between 3-5 working days after the decision was made. The award letter usually arrives after the money has gone into your bank.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • cupcake88
    I’m still panicking ha I do feel better . I’m a long way off working so it’s all good .  That’s reassuring to know. 

I’ll let you all know when the money goes in and how long it’s for . 

I’m hoping that when I have done my trauma therapy I might start to feel better but my  nurse said I’m not ready bout that  till end of next year . 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    That is brilliant news @cupcake88 and I am glad you shared it! It's nice to hear a positive outcome.  I hope the extra money will help you with additional costs you face because of the PTSD.  I'm sure it will be a big relief and it gives our other members hope.

In the meantime, like @poppy123456 said, try not to fret! Relax and look to the future.  I hope the trauma therapy gets you to an emotionally better place :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Brilliant news @cupcake88 Instead of worrying think about all the things you will now be able to do now you have a small income.

You get the review forms around 6 months before your award is due to end so no need to panic yet just enjoy the award and that is was awarded first tie without need to appeal 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,014 Pioneering
    @cupcake88 very pleased to hear this. 

• rsx
    rsx Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    That's amazing, so happy for you .
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't know how I've missed your post until now @cupcake88 - just to say I'm absolutely delighted. Sharing your good news helps others as well as yourself. Congratulations & well-deserved. :):):)
  • cupcake88
    Thank you so much every one . I feel very lucky I don’t have to appeal . I still haven’t recieved my letter yet so I don’t know how long it’s for . 
    Hopefully I’ll get it soon the money in my account I’m very excited for the back pay . I’m going to buy some arts and crafts to distract me when I feel really poorly .

i can’t believe what I heard I’m still expecting them to change there minds . I do feel guilty for the others who are having to appeal . 

It’s so nice to hear all your kind words cx
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Congratulations @cupcake88! Hopefully you'll get your letter soon, and that that'll put your mind at rest. 

Buying arts and crafts supplies is a great idea. What kind of activities do you like to do? 

You shouldn't feel guilty, this is what you deserve :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Really pleased for you @cupcake88 :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • pinkrose
    pinkrose Community member Posts: 46 Courageous
    fantastic news @cupcake88 so pleased for you and it really helps to hear of the positive outcomes.
    thanks for letting us know . x
  • Debbie1234
    Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
    Hello there ?
    I am ever so delighted for you, many congratulations.... You just concentrate on getting yourself better and at least the pip you receive will help alleviate the financial stress a little ?
    If you don't mind me saying your experience is very similar to mine. I am appealing at the moment too. I suffer ptsd along with other mental health issues. A top psychiatrist once called me " a damaged  woman for life "
    My ex partner tried to kill me (almost did) ? also assaulted me the worst way  a woman can be....
    reading your experience really does help others like yourself that struggle and finally get a little bit of good news and hope for the future.
    the therapy you will be having is it EMDR by any chance? In trauma victims I know there is a very high success rate if you see it through ?
    unfortunately I only made it through the 8 months and not the 13 months.....
    I send you all the best wishes in the world sweetie on the road to your recovery and wellness ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Super happy for you @cupcake88! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.