ESA SUDDENLY STOPPED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA SUDDENLY STOPPED

Debbie1234
Debbie1234 Community member Posts: 183 Courageous
Please help me I was due to get my fortnightly employment and support allowance this morning, but it is not in there. I Recently filed an appeal against my PIP award I believe I am entitled to mobility as well as the daily standard that I was awarded. Please help me I'm devastated ? nothing ever works out. They always seem to sting you some way 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Please take a deep breath. I know you've recently been awarded PIP and sometimes this can temporary suspend the ESA because of the PIP award, it happens a lot. All you need to do is ring DWP when they open this morning and tell them you haven't received your ESA and they will do a same day payment. It's most likely nothing at all to worry about.

Also may i ask which ESA you're claiming is it the old Income Related ESA, Contributions based or New style ESA? Do you also live alone or with a partner?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Debbie1234
    Oh Poppy I'm in bits ? thank you for your kind words....
    I am eagerly waiting for 8 am with my heart thudding. Honestly I feel like giving up somedays. 
    I was in support group years ago. Never had to go for an interview. Then I got married and we still get £335.30 a fortnight with a little bit of money for severn trent taken out of that (the big difference scheme) 
    my husband can earn up to £120 a week I believe.
    when I got awarded pip in February 2018 this never happened. I am sure they do all this on purpose to really grind you down and wear you out 
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you for always getting back poppy you're a star
  • Debbie1234
    If it is due to my pip appeal I will have no alternative but to withdraw the appeal as I won't be able to survive and 50 odd pound a week
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    You're welcome. It will have nothing at all to do with your PIP appeal.

No, your husband can't earn up to £120 per week, that's not correct i'm afraid. You can do permitted work and earn up to £140 per week because it's your claim and not his but if your husband works then it's completely different. May i ask does he work at all?

I have no idea what severn trent is, sorry.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Debbie1234 It sounds like you are having quite a morning! :( I'm glad @poppy123456 was able to help you and explain what might be going on.

I've moved this thread to our ESA board so it's in the right place to get further support.  Keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Debbie1234
    My husband was a self employed window cleaner when we met and due to my illness he had to give it up. He does earn £40 a week cleaning a couple of friends windows which they have always been aware of. When we married they put me on work related instead of support I think to help our situation. ?
    I am so confused 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    As it's your claim and not his then he can only earn a maximum of £20 per week before your ESA is affected. Anything more than this and your ESA is reduced £1 for £1. This means that if he earns £40 per week then your ESA will be reduced by £20 per week.

Your amount that you receive each fortnight tells me that your are in the Support Group and not work related group.

If he's continuing to work and earn that much per week then you will need to report the changes to DWP.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    As you're claiming daily living PIP he can claim carers allowance for looking after you providing he does this for at least 35 hours per week. It will be deducted £1 for £1 freom your ESA amount and they will add the carers premium (he'll receive the carers allowance separately) you will be about £37 per week better off.
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you Poppy. I just phoned ESA and for some reason my payment hadn't gone through. He was a lovely man (I was crying my eyes out) he said the payment will be in my account in 3 hours. So relieved ?
    thank you Poppy once again
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Please read my comment above about your husbands earnings and also the advice about carers allowance.
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you Poppy. Can anyone of us work in the support group? I haven't worked for years. But on my better days I will go with my husband and help ?
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2020
    As it's your ESA claim and not your husbands then you can do permitted work and earn up to £140 per week (less than 16 hours) after tax and NI contributions. You must tell DWP if you're doing this and you must fill out a PW1 form and return it to DWP.

Do be aware though that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming ESA then you can be reassessed early and the decision could go against you.

Your husband can only earn £20 maximum per week as previously advised.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @Debbie1234 and breatheeee.  I can understand you getting upset and crying.  It's awful when you are expecting money and it doesn't appear.  Are you okay now? 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you Poppy..... for all your knowledge, my husband does those couple of jobs fortnightly, so it works out at £20 a week ? when we married I did notify DWP about all this and I filled out all the relevant forms because essentially it was a new claim I think/change of circumstances etc.... I don't work at all as I am very poorly and my husband has to be with me most of the time (unfortunately for him) ?

thank you once again 
  • Debbie1234
    Thank you Cher ? I am a little better, a shock like that makes me poorly and I have had it then for the rest of the day 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome, always happy to help :)

Don't forget about the carers allowance that he can claim, if he doesn't already, which i'm sure he doesn't with the amount of ESA that you're receiving. Check this link for carers allowance details. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

It's also a good idea to claim it because it will pay his NI credits towards his state pension. As he's added to your ESA claim it means his NI isn't being paid, only yours is paid.

The quickest way to claim is online here https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/how-to-claim

It can also be backdated for 3 months providing he was looking after you for at least 35 hours per week. You will be £37.50 per week better off if he claims this.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hope things have calmed a little @Debbie1234! Sounds like you've had a tough morning. We're all here for you. :)
    Scope

• Debbie1234
    Hello again Poppy ? I did enquire about carers allowance for my husband back in February 2018 to a DWP worker when I had my first ever award. She advised me that there would be no point as they would pay my husband the Carer’s allowance (I am sure she said £30 something pound a week) and then they would have to deduct that amount from my ESA, so we wouldn't be any better off ?
    Was that true? Because if not she has completely misinformed me and we could of been that little bit more better off 
  • Debbie1234
    WOW ? Poppy really? I can't believe this!!!! I didn't know.... we haven't been claiming it and we didn't know about the NI thing either. I am in shock!!!!! The DWP woman Categorically told me that any carers allowance will be deducted from the employment and support allowance so initially it would be a waste of time. Thank you so much I'm going to have a look now on that website that will be quite a lot better off monthly. This website really is a saving grace for people in our situation. Thank you ☺️?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.