Meltdowns — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meltdowns

Veronica82
Veronica82 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My son has a mild form of CP - left hemi. Typically with a hemi child he is borderline for an emotional disorder too. He has autistic traits which are, again, typical of a hemi child.
I need to learn how to control his meltdowns better and would welcome any advise.
He isn't a naughty boy he just has immature meltdowns. We know it's his condition but if you something in the wrong way it has such a negative impact on him.
We don't have support from school which is awful. 
Any tips please help.

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    I can only speak from my own experience...
    My son has learning difficulties, epilepsy and autisim with challenging behaviour.
    I spent a lot of his earlier years trying to get help for exactly this...he was always seen as a naughty boy with a feckless mother.
    He's now 37...a couple of years ago I took an overdose as I could no longer cope.
    The result was nothing changed, he's a lot bigger than me and although I've contacted the learning disability team again for help it will come to nothing again if my son wont engage with them.
    You hear a lot about people with behavioural problems being put on meds to control moods and how terrible it is to do this...with hindsight...I wish I had pushed for meds...
    Far better he be on meds with someone who cares about him looking after him then placed I some unit where he would also at some point be put on meds and they dont give two shits about him.
    As I said I can only speak from my own experience...I was a single mother, each situation is unique and you may get the right help.
    Sorry to sound so negative...hopefully someone else will respond with a more positive experience!
    Good luck.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Veronica82 :) Sorry I didn't see this any sooner. Another member made a post recently asking about how to deal with their child's meltdowns, so you two might like to connect and share your experiences and tips? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Veronica82, how are you doing today? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.