POST COVID-19 EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT ALLOWANCE — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

POST COVID-19 EMPLOYMENT SUPPORT ALLOWANCE

tcellmutation
tcellmutation Community member Posts: 259 Pioneering
Hello,

I have been listening to quite a few discussions about weather COVID-19 will change the way people will work, no longer commuting to working but working from home. It got me thinking that this could perhaps change for some, not all, people being entitled to Employment Support Allowance as perhaps some may be able to get jobs that allow them to from home and no longer be entitled to ESA. Potentially this could be a big shake up to the system.

It’s just a thought but anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I would say that alot of people have returned to work, except for those that have already been made redundant of course.

The work capability assessment looks at the work you can do and not the work you can't do. Why would working from home mean more people will be found fit for work? I disagree, sorry. I don't think Covid19 will make any difference in a negative way. Actually since telephone assessments have in progress there's more people having a possitive decisions.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation
    edited August 2020
    Don’t you think in years to come when / if COVID-19 has passed and more jobs are home based done via computer that more people will be capable at least to have a part time computer based work from home job?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    To be totally honest i never think that far ahead. No one can predict the future.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • tcellmutation
    Yeh, just a thought
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @tcellmutation

There's definitely a conversation to be had around this topic. It'll be interesting how the pandemic impacts long term life in general, but in particular when it comes to the working world. 

Hopefully more organisations can offer flexible working, which will accommodate the needs of employees and make working more accessible.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I must admit I tend to agree in part, I think more employers will now look at working from home in a more positive light and realise it can wot

More flexibility for employees and also reduced costs for employers to some extent.

How this will affect ESA and the capability to work will have to yet be seen.

I have worked from home before but usually has entailed a certain amount of attending meetings or seeing clients etc outside the home which I now could not do

Interesting topic though
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely an interesting topic.  

The pandemic has brought to light how many of the reasonable adjustments disabled workers have long been asking for are feasible and could easily be implemented.  Frances Ryan wrote a brilliant article in The Guardian about it called "My pandemic epiphany: watching the world open up for disabled people".  I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    My daughter works for an American bank here in the UK, they started working from home 1 week before lockdown, and the latest she's heard is that they won't be going back to the office until Easter next year, and then they will be allowed to work from home 2 days a week, she works in HR covering the whole of Europe so her phone bills been interesting !
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Are the bank paying for her phone bill @woodbine!?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    yes they've been really good, plus for 5 months she hasn't had to pay for before and after school club saving £60 a week she's finally managed to pay off her long standing overdraft.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That sounds great @woodbine! Paying off her overdraft must be such a relief too.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.