Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Squirrels and Friends

RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 751 Pioneering
As many of you will know I am a lover of wildlife and I have posted many photographs particularly of squirrels.

I find really therapeutic to interact with wildlife and as I also like photography I enjoy taking photographs of the wildlife I see.

Please post any photographs or comments if you wish🐿😁

Replies

• 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 2,900 Disability Gamechanger
  • RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 751 Pioneering
    Scope

I don’t know why the photos are in that format?
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,145 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 22
    Hmm, neither am I @RAwarrior. How did you add them? Did you insert an image like you usually would?

Great photos yet again! Really high quality.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    @66Mustang
    Thank you very much😁
    @Tori_Scope
    I inserted the photos in the usual way.

Thank you very much for your lovely comments😁

I will post some more photos later👍
    Very strange @RAwarrior. Perhaps the files are too big, or there's too many of them. Either way it doesn't really matter, we're still able to view them. I look forward to seeing some more!

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 506 Pioneering
    @RAwarrior I love the last photo where he has his legs around the fence. So cute  :)
    @Cressida

Thank you very much😁

The squirrel in last and first photographs is one that I have been feeding for a while. She always poses on the fence whilst she is waiting for me to feed her hazelnuts😁

The squirrel in the second photograph   is also a squirrel that I have been feeding for a while, he is very nervous and shy. He waits on the other side of the fence waiting for me to feed him.😁

The squirrel in the third photograph is a baby squirrel who I feed by hand😁
    Some impressive leg flexibility from squirrel number 1 there @RAwarrior

@Tori_Scope
    It is amazing to see how flexible the squirrels are😁

The Moorhen in my previous post came over when it realised I was feeding the squirrels😁 I gave the Moorhen some Swan and Duck food😁
    It wanted some of the action @RAwarrior! I love the new one of the squirrel on the fence, and the one posing with its tail on the log!

@Tori_Scope

Thank you very much😁

The moorhen is one of four that I regularly feed in a pond however, he/she came over as you said when he/she realised I was feeding the squirrels. I always feed both the waterfowl and squirrels when I go to the park so I had swan and duck food with me🦆😁

The squirrel on the fence is a baby squirrel who I have only started to feed recently but he is quite feisty as he chases the larger squirrels😁 He takes the hazelnuts from my hands however, he always covers his body with his tail to protect himself when I feed him.

The other squirrel was preening herself and I managed to take a photograph to capture that moment😁

Squirrels use their tails for many things and in his case although he trusts me enough to accept food from my hand, he is still protecting himself by covering his body with his tail🐿
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 262 Pioneering
    Those are great photographs, i love wildlife, don't get out much these days, but i like to see nature, very cute squirrels, glad they come up to you that must be nice 
    @Grinchy

Thank you so much for your lovely comments😁

I’m sorry that you are not able to get out very much.

I love wildlife and spending time with my little squirrel family as I call them really helps to lift my mood. 

I went through a very bad time last year because of my PTSD and going to the park to spend time feeding the squirrels, ducks, geese, crows etc really helped me. 

Once I am outside my mood improves even if the weather is bad. It is really rewarding for me to have formed a bond with the group of squirrels who actually know me so trust me😁 

They really are a lovely group of squirrels each with their own little traits.🐿

Spending time outside especially with wildlife is very therapeutic for me and distracts me from the causes of my PTSD. 

Many thanks again for your kind words😁
    edited August 23
    @RAwarrior no problem, interesting that you suffer with PTSD i do to, mine is complex PTSD, i find it a struggle at times, but i do like to go on drives with my wife, fresh air does you good, its great that you have gotten close to the squirrels and that they know you, 
    @Grinchy

Thank you so much for your comments😁

As I have mentioned in my previous posts, my original disabilities are Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis. 

However, as a result of being bullied and harassed at work for several years I then got PTSD which is something I didn’t want or ask for on top of already having Rheumatoid and Osteoarthritis 😞

I know how to manage my RA and OA however, I have found having PTSD very difficult especially because so many people don’t understand and just tell me “to move on”.🙁

I have posted about my experience extensively under a Workplace Bullying thread which I started if you want to read it, however, I am very mindful of not adding to your pain so please read it only if you want to. 

Although the circumstances of the PTSD I have are different to the circumstances you have mentioned, I hope that by sharing my experience it might help others who also have PTSD. 

I also shared my experience because I think it is so important to highlight the real problem of disabled people like me who already have enough to deal with because of their disabilities  without being bullied and harassed at work. 

However, joining the Scope online community recently and being able to share what has happened to me has helped me especially because of the support I have received from the online community😁

I am glad you are able to go on drives with your wife and I agree that being out in the fresh air helps😁

I really enjoy spending time with my little squirrel family and it really helps me😁

Some more squirrel friends🐿
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,679 Scope community team
    Loving these pictures @RAwarrior! How are squirrels so cute?!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.

I managed to take the photograph of the butterfly and I hardly ever see butterflies these days🦋
    @Chloe_Scope

Thank you so much😁

They are really cute with their own little traits. I think the baby squirrel who covers himself with his tail when I feed him is really cute. He actually started to follow me when I was leaving the park😁
  • CressCress Member Posts: 279 Pioneering
    I love all your pictures, you can't not smile at such cute little critters!

The squirrel in the second photo is the one that is very ☺️ He knows me but he is still very nervous. He is a really sweet squirrel😁
    @Cress

Thank you so much😁

My little squirrel family have really helped me when I have been feeling really low😁

I really enjoy feeding the squirrels, ducks, geese, crows, magpies etc.

I have posted lots of photos in the Wildlife and Photography threads in case you haven’t seen them😁

It is really amazing about how interacting with these wonderful animals is really therapeutic🐿🦆
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 5,240 Disability Gamechanger
    Amazing photos yet again !!!!! Keep it up 
    @janer1967
    Thank you so much😁
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 5,299 Disability Gamechanger
    @RAwarrior - thank you so much for sharing these amazing close up photos. I'm also really am enjoying seeing them. :)
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,530 Disability Gamechanger
    Great pictures @RAwarrior, it must be like swimming with dolphins! A similar experience I expect.
    @chiarieds

You’re welcome and thank you for your lovely comments😁

I had a bad day today (please see Room 101) so posting photos of my little squirrel family is helping me.🐿

I am also really pleased that you and other members of the online community like the photographs😁
    @leeCal

It is a really wonderful thing because as the squirrels know me I have a bond with them. 

I recognise the squirrels in the group I feed and it’s so great to watch them as they all have their own personalities🐿

It really lifts my mood to interact with them😁
    lovely photos! they really are cute animals
    @Grinchy

Thank you so much 😁

They are really cute and they cheered me up yesterday after I got some really nasty verbal abuse in the park😞 
    @RAwarrior, more lovely pics, sorry you had a bad time at the park, hope your ok
    @Grinchy

Thank you so much for your support😁

I am still a bit shaken up and I posted some of the details in Room 101.😞

I just couldn’t believe what I was called but it the same old thing, it’s easy for someone to target a disabled person. If I see them again I will film them and phone the Police as what they said to me was appalling when I only went to feed the squirrels. 

However, I felt better once I called the squirrels back as they ran away because they are very sensitive animals who are easily startled. The squirrels came back and I felt a bit better😁

However, because I have PTSD it perhaps affects me more because I was bullied and harassed for years so although I hope it was an isolated incident, it makes me start thinking about the cause of my PTSD. 

I wish people just leave disabled people alone. I have enough to deal with without getting verbally abused by a complete stranger😞

All I wanted to do was to feed the squirrels. 

Many thanks again😁

edited August 25
    @rawarrior have you tried any grounding techniques. Feeding and spending time with the squirrels is obviously acting as one grounding technique but there are others you may like to research. Smelling a favourite smell is one which you can try, using essential oils for example. I like oud, but there is another I’d like to try called fresh linen, I think I’d like that one. 
    @leeCal

Thank you very much for your support and comments😁

To answer your question no I haven’t tried what you have suggested but I would be interested to find out more😁

As I have mentioned in other threads as well as feeding the squirrels, as you know I also like gardening which does help me to relax even though gardening is difficult for me. I do forget about things when I am in the garden. Also going outside to the park or countryside also helps.😁

I have posted more details about how this incident has affected me in Room 101 in which you and @66Mustang have been trying to help me and have been very supportive 😁

I would like to know more about “grounding techniques” Is it something like mindfulness? 

The CBT therapist suggested I distract my brain when I start thinking about the bully by focusing for example on a flower that I have grown or watching something on television that I like, is this what you mean?😁

Many thanks 😁

Yes @rawarrior distraction is a major part of grounding? The main idea is that when you begin to realise that you are dwelling on the noxious thoughts you use any grounding techniques to bring you back to the here and now. That may be gardening or interacting with wildlife or it may be a strong smell or indeed anything using any of the senses. It’s worth looking up and exploring a few grounding ideas I think. I’ll see if I can find some tomorrow too. 🙂 best wishes.
    @leeCal

Thank you so much for your explanation. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I will look into this more as well😁

I need to find ways of distracting my brain instead of ruminating🙁

Many thanks again😁

The squirrel in the third photograph helped herself to the hazelnuts in my bag🤣
    They'll be coming home with you next @RAwarrior!

Hehe awesome pictures 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,679 Scope community team
    Haha they obviously like the food! Are you able to stroke them? Or just give them food? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
    Great pictures!
    @Tori_Scope

One of the squirrels, the baby one who covers his body with his tail starts to follow me when I leave the park😁

It was nice to spend time in park after what happened during my previous visit as I have posted on this thread and in Room 101😞

@66Mustang

Thank you very much😁
    @Chloe_Scope

Thank you very much😁

I feed with hazelnuts which they love. 

The squirrels do come very close to me and three of them climb along my arm and take the hazelnuts from my hand, however, I can’t stroke them. 

The squirrels do come very close to me but I can’t stroke them. 

However, there is one squirrel who lives nearby to these ones who unfortunately I don’t see that often but she knows me she does allow me to stroke her.😁
    @leeCal

Thank you very much😁

@Chloe_Scope
    This is the squirrel that lets me stroke her😁
    @RAwarrior I'm telling you, this is a slippery slope to squirrels taking over your house :D

Yes, I was sorry to read about that. I'm glad the wildlife gives you some comfort. Try not to let some bullies stop you from doing what you enjoy.

@Tori_Scope

I wish I could take the squirrels home with me🐿

Thank you for your support and I was really shaken up because I didn’t expect to be verbally abused like that when I was only feeding the squirrels😞 

I was really shocked and calling me a disabled b**** is actually a disability hate crime.

I will phone the Police if I see that person again.

I did go to the park yesterday however, I kept looking out for the man who was abusive but thankfully I didn’t see him. 

However, I don’t want my visits to the park to be another trigger for my PTSD😞

However, on a positive note, I cannot thank several of the online community members enough for really supporting me following the incident in the park. You can read the comments on here and in Room 101 ( if you haven’t already done so) to see how supportive people in this wonderful community were😁 I am so grateful to the members of the online community who took the time to help me😁

Many people really don’t understand what it is like to have PTSD and if I am honest neither did I until I got it. I understood RA and OA but not PTSD. 

One of my few supportive colleagues (because as you know the cause of the PTSD is as a result of workplace bullying) gave me a really good thing to say when other people didn’t understand or said they understood how I felt when they didn’t:

“Until you have walked in my shoes then you won’t understand” I thought this was a really good analogy. 

However, you are right regarding not letting the bullies stop me from doing what I enjoy. Going to the park and feeding the squirrels, ducks etc is like a sanctuary for me.😁

I just have to be wary in case I see the bully again😞
    Yes I had a read through the comments @RAwarrior, I'm glad the community was able to help you through. 

That is definitely a good analogy. Ignorance is the root of a lot of bad things, I think.

I hope you don't see them again, but you know what to do if you do. 

@Tori_Scope
    Thank you very much for your support😁

As you have read the comments you can see how supportive the online community have been😁 I really am grateful to them😁

Regarding ignorance some of the worst things I have been told are:

To move on.

To pull myself together.

That the bully (workplace) seems so nice.

That the bully had never bothered them.

To forget about it. 

I wish it was that simple. I read a really good book about trauma by Dr Bessel Van Der Kolk called The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Body and Mind in the Healing of Trauma. 

Dr Van Der Kolk is a psychiatrist who runs a trauma centre in the USA and although the book covers many different types of trauma, it really explains how the brain works in relation to trauma. There are also lots of videos on YouTube with the same doctor. Whilst I would urge caution in reading the book as some of it due to the very nature of trauma does not make pleasant reading, I found it very helpful for me to understand what PTSD is and how it can manifest itself.👍

Yes, they're pretty great aren't they @RAwarrior.

Ah I'm sorry those things have been said to you. Phrases like 'just pull yourself together' have always confused me. Like, thanks! Wow! Problem solved!

The book sounds interesting, thank you for sharing. I'm glad you found it helped you to make sense of your own PTSD :)

@Tori_Scope

Thank you so much😁

The book was really good and the doctor really started his work with military veterans during a time when PTSD wasn’t really recognised. I don’t want to spoil things in case anyone decides to read it however, it also covers the types of treatment for PTSD.

I have also seen talks on the Ted Channel on the channel itself and there is a Ted YouTube channel which have talks about PTSD. 
    @RAwarrior

Yes it's interesting how PTSD has gone from not being recognised, to only really being thought of as something that military veterans experience, to increasingly being understood as something that can have a lot of different causes, and a lot of different symptoms. 

I love a good TED Talk! There are some great ones on mental health and... almost any other topic under the sun.

@Tori_Scope

One of the points made in the book was the fact that PTSD wasn’t even recognised for military veterans. 

I appreciate that the healthcare system in the USA is vastly different to our NHS and the results included many veterans not getting treatment for PTSD. 

Although some of the examples in the book do not reflect my situation the reactions by some of the patients in book do reflect my situation. 

There is a very good example about a couple in a car crash where following the car crash one of them “desensitises” themselves and the other “is always on alert waiting for something bad to happen”. 

It was really interesting to understand how two people involved in the same car crash reacted in very different ways. 

The doctor also tries to find alternative ways of treating PTSD which don’t involve drugs such as antidepressants which includes EMDR.

Needless to say I am always on alert😞
    Fascinating stuff @RAwarrior. I love the car crash example, I think that demonstrates it really well. 

Did you manage to look into EMDR and CBT again? I remember us talking about this before, but I can't quite remember where we left it.

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,935 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry to bring it back to squirrels, but @RAwarrior - I saw some in the grounds of York Museum Gardens and shouted 'SQUIRREL' and thought of you :D  I tried to get a photograph but alas, it wasn't meant to be.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @Tori_Scope

The doctor did brain scans to monitor the couple’s reaction to the trauma which was really interesting.

This link is an interview with the doctor which gives an overview of his approach to trauma and I found it really interesting. 

https://www.psychotherapy.net/interview/bessel-van-der-kolk-trauma

In the book the doctor tries to move away from just treating trauma patients with medicine and even uses yoga as a treatment for trauma.
    @Cher_Scope

Thank you so much for thinking of me when you saw the squirrels 🐿

Don’t worry about bringing the subject back to squirrels as I really enjoy talking about them 😁🐿

On another note you are so lucky to be in York, what a beautiful city😁 I really like history and archaeology so I think York is a really interesting place to visit. 

I have been to York Museum which is a lovely museum. I also really love The Castle Museum with all the reconstructed streets, shops etc😁

I don’t want to turn this into a travel site or review, however, I visited the Railway Museum last year and what a really amazing museum😁 

I found York to be a lovely place to visit with really friendly people😁
    @Tori_Scope

I meant to reply to your question about my treatment and I did but I got timed out😁

I need to do another referral to resume CBT which was via the NHS. Unfortunately the place I was going to don’t have an EMDR therapist so I would need to find one elsewhere.

This little squirrelled is really friendly and he climbs on my arm.🐿
    As a matter of interest @RAwarrior, in the car crash example was it the driver who became desensitised or the passenger, I’d bet it was the driver, 50/50 of course, but I’m basing my guess on previous research involving stress levels experienced by passengers and drivers, don’t remember by whom.
    @leeCal

No it was the other way round. 

A man and his wife were in the a car driving during heavy fog. The man was driving and it was his wife the passenger who was desensitised. They conducted brain scans on both of them to monitor their reaction. I will need to check the exact name for the scan in the book. 

Oh okay, interesting.
    @RAwarrior York is a beautiful place! I took my mum and we went for a walk by the side of the river, around the city centre, on the old castle walls and down the Shambles.  My other half loves the Railway Museum.  He would gladly spend an entire day there!  I am lucky it's only a short drive from where I live :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @Cher_Scope

What a lovely day out😁

I forgot to mention York Minster as well which I also visited. However, I couldn’t go up to the tower because there was no way I could climb up those steps. I had previously visited York as a child when I wasn’t disabled and I still remember how difficult it was to get up to the tower. However, visiting inside York Minster was amazing😁

I spent hours visiting the Railway Museum and it is such an incredible museum so I don’t blame your other half for wanting to spend the whole day there because I didn’t want to leave😁

I really like The Castle Museum although it is a lot larger than it looks from outside😁

@RAwarrior
    We called at the York Minster however hadn't realised you now have to pre-book to enter due to covid-19.  It's a beautiful building.  I do like old cities like York, Chester and Lincoln, they have a real atmosphere about them.

• male45male45 Member Posts: 314 Pioneering
    RAwarrior said:
    @Grinchy

I’m sorry that you are not able to get out very much.

I love wildlife and spending time with my little squirrel family as I call them really helps to lift my mood. 

I went through a very bad time last year because of my PTSD and going to the park to spend time feeding the squirrels, ducks, geese, crows etc really helped me. 

Once I am outside my mood improves even if the weather is bad. It is really rewarding for me to have formed a bond with the group of squirrels who actually know me so trust me😁 

They really are a lovely group of squirrels each with their own little traits.🐿

Spending time outside especially with wildlife is very therapeutic for me and distracts me from the causes of my PTSD. 

Many thanks again for your kind words😁

HI [email protected]
    I love the photos the squirrels look they just pose nicely for you. You have them spoiled me thinks 😏 
    What kind of camera and exposure do you use what f-stop etc

I'll look forward to coming here more often now

Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
    @Cher_Scope

I think that we have similar interests😁

It’s a pity about York Minster but I can understand why they have introduced a booking system. 

Perhaps you can arrange another time for a visit and I wonder if the ticket lasts for a year like before?

I like old cities and buildings. I find new developments  soulless.

I have never been to Chester. However, I visited Lincoln Cathedral several years ago and what a beautiful building with lovely architecture. The reflection of the light from the stained glass windows on to the floor was so beautiful😁 

I really find the sheer size of York Minster and Lincoln Cathedral amazing. The architecture is unbelievable😁 

In case you didn’t know there is a York Card which you can purchase which covers several museums in York. I believe there might be a discounted price for disabled visitors and their carers for the benefit of any of the online community who might be interested😁
    @male45

Thank you for your lovely comments😁

I started this thread because as you can see I really enjoy spending time with wildlife🐿🦆

I had already posted some photographs in the Wildlife and Photography threads (which you might want to look at). 

I found that several people really liked the photographs especially the ones of the squirrels so if in a small way I brought a smile to someone’s face I was really happy to post more photographs so I decided to start my own thread😁

I find interacting with wildlife very therapeutic.

Yes you are absolutely correct as I have spoilt them. The squirrels know me very well🐿 I give them hazelnuts  (Monkey nuts are not good for squirrels)

The squirrels come very close so I can take the photographs.

I have taken all of  the photographs I have posted with my iPhone. I do have a camera but I don’t take it out with me when I am on my own as I don’t feel safe and an iPhone is a bit more discreet. 

As you know I have already had problems in the park so I only use my camera if I am with someone🙁

I am really glad that you like the photographs in this thread.😁

Many thanks again 😁
    Thanks for sending the link @RAwarrior, how interesting! I will give it a watch this weekend. 

Make sure you do your referral! I hope you find another place that does EMDR :) Let us know if you need any help, and keep us updated.

As always, thanks for more squirrel pics! They have brightened up a rather dreary day.

@Tori_Scope

You’re very welcome and it’s an interview in a magazine not a video. However, there are lots of videos on YouTube with Dr Van Der Koch in which he talks about trauma

Thank you for your support and I will do another referral👍

Thanks for really nice comments about the squirrel photos and I am glad they brightened up your day🐿
    Great photos as always, they seem really tame allowing you to photograph them so close and even looking at the camera!!
    @66Mustang

Thank you so much😁

This group of squirrels know me because I have been feeding them for a while. 

Some take the hazelnuts from my hand but some are still nervous. Three of them climb along my arm and one of them let’s me stroke her. They all come very close though. 

One of the squirrels just helps herself now,  if I am not paying attention she climbs into the bag where I keep the hazelnuts and helps herself🤣 
    @RAwarrior I'll look out for the York card, thank you for the recommendation.  If you can, try to visit Chester - I have a feeling you would love it there and there's a park close to its city centre with squirrels in!

This is what you call Self Service🤣
    For those of you who have looked at the photographs I have already posted, this is the squirrel who poses on the fence but now she just helps herself 🤣🤣

You’re welcome😁

I would like to visit Chester as it sounds really interesting.

The card is called York Museums Trust Card or YMT. I think disabled visitors can buy the card for half price and if they have a carer the carer doesn’t pay but you will need to check especially with Covid 19 things might have changed. The card is mentioned in the link below. 

https://www.visityork.org/explore/featured-attractions/ymt
    The hazelnut thief is back😂 She’s now just helping herself to hazelnuts🤣

Baby Coots and Moorhens getting fed by mum and dad😁

This squirrel is really nervous but I managed to feed him a walnut😁
    I hope you all like the photographs😁 As you can see one of the squirrels climbs into the bag and helps herself😁
Sign in or join us to comment.