2 birthdays — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2 birthdays

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
I have to buy presents for 2 family birthdays and thought I’d make a thread to ask for suggestions...

I don’t have a huge budget and want to spend about £15 - 25 on each person.

Person 1 likes baking so any suggestions along those lines maybe. To anyone who bakes on here: what would you really like to receive as a present?

Person 2 likes cars and they also like going out drinking on a weekend. I was thinking maybe a good quality car shampoo (Autoglym or something) and a small bottle of vodka (their drink of choice). But any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!! :)

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @66Mustang I am a baker and can make the following suggestions

Baking book (Mary Berry) or other I find the Sainsburys own cook books good

Baking tins they do a nice range at Dunelm

Werighing scales, apron, cutters, mixing bowls

As for the car person the Silverstone experience centre is open and tickets are £25, or maybe a voucher visit to one of the car museums
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks @janer1967 for the suggestions. It is very helpful to get some ideas from someone who is a baker themselves. I will check out all those ideas :) I know they already have a couple of Mary Berry books so I will have to have a sneaky look to make sure I don’t buy the same one!!

As for the car person they not really into looking at old cars or super cars etc, they are a bit more of a boy racer if that makes sense - they own a hot hatchback and are always washing it so I thought maybe some good quality car cleaning products would be a good idea.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @66Mustang, for the person who likes baking, do they have a favourite recipe? You could get a large glass jar and fill it with all the dry ingredients that they would need. Easy to do yourself if you can weigh out the ingredients. :) 

Here is an example of cookies in a jar. :)
    Scope

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    2) forget the car shampoo and make it a full size bottle of vodka decent supermarket brands around £11. for 1) what about one of the many baking/recipe books around again usually for a tenner?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    As @janer1967 says kitchen scales but perhaps the new digital Salter  ones, they are slimline very small and digital not like the bulky old fashioned types, ie an improvement taken that being a baker they’d likely already have a set of scales. I think they are fifteen pounds.

at this time of year my thoughts are on autumn or winter jumpers, perhaps there’s a sale on somewhere? 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I have the digital type and agree they may already have some 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    As @janer1967 says kitchen scales but perhaps the new digital Salter  ones, they are slimline very small and digital not like the bulky old fashioned types, ie an improvement taken that being a baker they’d likely already have a set of scales. I think they are fifteen pounds.

at this time of year my thoughts are on autumn or winter jumpers, perhaps there’s a sale on somewhere? 
    there's a sale on everywhere  :)

2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    Thank you for all of the suggestions, really appreciated :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Person 2 likes cars and drinking?  Maybe buy them a breathalyser kit... :D

Seriously though, maybe a decent wax would be useful to make the car cleaning easier?  Also depending how much they're into it and what they already have, something like a nice wash mitt or drying towel makes a good, long lasting gift.  The Auto Finesse Aqua Deluxe is fantastic!
  • 66Mustang
    A breathalyser is actually quite a good suggestion! When I used to drink more in the evenings I never used to know whether it was safe to drive the next day.

Wax is a good shout but I get the impression that that is one of those things that people are really picky with the brands, and I’d buy the wrong one hehe!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.