Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My goal today

leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,493 Disability Gamechanger
We are often told that setting a goal for the day or even the week can be helpful to our mental health.

My goal for today is to get my prescription in to the doctors surgery.

What’s yours? 🙂

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 5,145 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal today was to complete the second unit of my course, which I have done so now I can please myself for the rest of the day
    Tomorrows goals is to book activities for my sons birthday
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 2,493 Disability Gamechanger
    @janer1967 finishing that must have given you a great sense of achievement.

birthdays are great, good luck with the preparations!
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 2,815 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 25
    My goals today

Get some things from the shops (done)
    Research hotels for a trip to Scotland for my birthday :)
    Maybe do some study

Have you managed to get your prescription in yet? :)
    Hi @66Mustang yes I took my prescription in, no queues straight in and out.

Hows the research for hotels going? I know someone who has just come back from Scotland and they had a great time visiting various lochs etc. I’m jealous, bit too expensive for me, I moved house this year so I need to save up again before I can take a break. Hope it goes well for you.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,608 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 25
    It's always a good idea to have goals in life, even little things can make you feel good when you achieve them, my goal today was a meeting with the people who are supplying our new kitchen, all went well. I also wanted to find a gardener to sort some stuff out for us that we can't do, found one and he's coming to have a look tomorrow.
    @leeCal I’m glad you got in and out quickly, I guess that is especially a good thing at the moment - don’t want to be spending too long in a doctor’s surgery etc.

There are lots of nice hotels where we want to go but most are quite expensive and we have a limited budget! I have found a couple of nice ones so far that are within the budget, though. :)

woodbine said:
    It's always a good idea to have goals in life, even little things can make you feel good when you achieve them
    I totally agree @woodbine!

It also sounds as though you had a good day today, great stuff. 
    @66Mustang I was just wondering whether air bnb places are more reasonable? 
     Also we stayed at an hotel in Berwick upon tweed a couple of years ago which was quite reasonable but of course you may need to be further north I expect. 
    @leeCal

I had never considered that - I will take a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yes we want to be a bit further up - near Pitlochry. :)
  • CressCress Member Posts: 276 Pioneering
    My goal today was just to get through it...and sometimes that's enough  :)
  • CressCress Member Posts: 276 Pioneering
    My goal today...was to get the towels out of the washing machine that I put in about a week ago...but surely after that long I should put them through the cycle again?....well that's what I thought but they smell all lenory still so regardless of what bacteria they may be teeming with...I hung 'em up to dry...
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,086 Pioneering
    I love the idea @leeCal!

My goal for the week is to buy myself a clothes horse. I recently moved house, forgot to buy one, and currently have my clothes hanging off every possible ledge in my room :#

Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    My goal today is to get a half price meal before the offer closes! 🙂

@Tori_Scope will you get a traditional wooden one or a metal screen type one? The traditional one is still really useful I think.
    edited August 26
    Definitely worth taking advantage of that if you can @leeCal!

I used to have a metal one and it was fine, so I'll probably go with that again as I believe they're usually cheaper. 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Achieved my goal today organised my sons birthday, a meal the night before, then bowling followed by Sunday lunch with family. Even bought all his presents and card and wrapping paper.

Wow I am an organised Mum lol all thats left will be to bake his cake the day before
    Well done @janer1967! That sounds like a great birthday. You are definitely very organised 

leeCal said:
    My goal today is to get a half price meal before the offer closes! 🙂
    I hope you managed to get a meal in today? Or are you going for something this evening? :smile:

Today we went for a breakfast as Wetherspoons. It is usually £3.50 for a breakfast which is crazy in itself but with the scheme it was £1.75!
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 262 Pioneering
    So today i went to see a friend, then came home and tidied my shed up a bit so i can do some artwork in there, not a bad day allround, i'm glad that your all able to do something, even if it seems small, its still productive

Grinchy said:
    So today i went to see a friend, then came home and tidied my shed up a bit so i can do some artwork in there, not a bad day allround, i'm glad that your all able to do something, even if it seems small, its still productive

Sounds like a very productive day your end!
    Yes @66Mustang I managed to get a midday meal out for two and two courses for £18.50, not as much a bargain as yours at weather spoons but still ok. I’m still full several hours later so it did the job!

everyone seems to have had a nice day today, that’s great 😀!

Thank you all for your positive posts!
    That’s not bad at all so £9.25 a head?

It’s a shame this scheme isn’t going to go on longer, hehe

I was full from my breakfast too. Only needed cheese and biscuits by 7pm, no lunch or proper dinner needed!!
    Today I need to make time to spend with an elderly friend, that’s my goal and it seems to be quite a modest one so all should be well.
    That's very thoughtful of you @leeCal. Do you have anything planned? Or just a nice catch up?

@Tori_Scope no just a chat. It’s often very amusing because he talks about the old days and when he had to do national service. It does me as much good as him 🙂
    I honestly love listening to older people talk about their experiences @leeCal! It's definitely something that benefits both parties. Have fun!

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,842 Pioneering
    Great thread @leeCal I love the feeling of ticking off something I needed to do, plus it's good motivation sharing our plans with others!

Not much for me to do today - I've already done a load of washing and hung it out.  If I can fit in a walk after work that'd be grand.

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Enjoying this thread great to see what everyone wants to achieve in a day

Ive  not got a real goal today, just having a chill and having some me time
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,679 Scope community team
    I love this idea @leeCal

My goal for the week is to try and make a list of things I need to do.  :D 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 837 Pioneering
    Hi @leeCal
                       Love this idea and think it is so important.  I have a goal system in place and this has really helped me to come to terms with elements of my disability. I have short, medium and long term goals. My goal for this week is to continuing planning the football competition for the online community in preparation for the start of the season. Thank you for sharing this. 
    Glad everyone likes the thread 🙂

I achieved my goal today and thoroughly enjoyed a chat, chocolate brownie and cups of tea, great fun. 

I have a bigger goal this week but as @Cher_Scope says once you've mentioned it you do seem to be under, a little, pressure to achieve it and since it relies on having a rain free day I’ll postpone mentioning it until the weather is going to be fine. It’s an outside repair you see.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Community champion, Scope Volunteer Posts: 837 Pioneering
    Well done for achieving your goal :) I hope the weather improves to enable you to achieve your goal for the following week. Thank you. 
    edited August 28
    So much rain today, I couldn’t do anything in the garden so I went to a small town and bought a nice jumper for autumn. Virtually brand new for ten percent of its normal price, such a bargain, warm too.  💦☔️

thank you @WestHam06 🙂
    Aww that's lovely - what colour is it @leeCal ?

I have no goals for tonight other than to relax!! It's wet and soggy outside and I'm feeling sleepy.

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    glad you got a new jumper @leeCal, shame about the weather, kept me indoors today to, i was waiting in for a new phone for my son, he's off to Uni next week in London,he is doing a performing arts degree at trinity latham, just about ready for him to leave, we will miss him, but know its for the best
    @Cher_Scope my virtually new jumper is a beige like colour, apparently it goes well with my age! Ha ha. I’m very pleased with it anyway. Yes a sleepy day now, still warm enough but damp outside. I actually drove through a cloudburst it was very heavy torrential rain.

@grinchy the performing arts degree sounds amazing, what a great opportunity, your son must be talented I should think to get a place?
    Good luck to your son @Grinchy! Of course you'll miss him, and I'm sure he'll miss you too, but hopefully he'll have a great time and get a lot out of it :) It's a difficult time for any parent I think.

thank you @leeCal and @Tori_Scope, yes we will miss him, but onwards and upwards he is really talented, he just got his grades redone as we queried them,  BTEC LEVEL 3 PERFORMING ARTS: DISTINCTION* DISTINCTION DISTINCTION. so we are pleased with that for him
    That's amazing @Grinchy! He must be really talented. 

Does he feel ready to go? 

Yeah he is really waiting to go, he can't wait @Tori_Scope, thanks 

• woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,608 Disability Gamechanger
    My goal today was to do very little in that I succeeded partly due to all the rain !
    No real goals today, but it is Saturday after all so perhaps a little shopping.
    Almost forgot , it’s a bank holiday weekend. I have no plans as far as that’s concerned but we sometimes take a ride out somewhere so perhaps later. 

A problem we have in my area is that on bank holidays the  local traffic increases tenfold and makes it difficult to get anywhere with ease. 🤨
    Hi @leeCal I tend to agree and stay in over bank holidays as it is a lot busier out there on the roads and at events and shops and such

My goal is to finally finish the first season of prison break I never realised there were so many episodes

Will also be watching the grand prix qualifying and having a chill and a nice take away
    Despite it being a holiday today I have a job to do treating some four by two plates with preserver. This is part of a decking repair job I have to do in the garden this coming week. Shouldn’t take too long...now where’s me brush?
    Hope you get it finished , my goal today is to do another unit of my diploma over half way through the diploma now
    Well done @janer1967 your dedication to the task is paying off 🙂

meanwhile yes! I’ve painted all my timber...though it looks like rain soon. Perhaps it’ll pass over. 
    Fingers crossed it passes its very sunny here in South Yorkshire today makes a change for a bank holiday 
    @Janer1967 did you get your unit done?  it was very sunny here yesterday I agree!

Yes @Cher_Scope I got 2 units done so even better hope you did ok with your dissertation 
    @janer1967 Ooooh get you!! Well done :)

Yep my dissertation is ready to submit tonight after one final, final proof-read! 

today I have to pick up the prescription from last week, not an easy task as almost every hour of every day there are six to ten people waiting for the same reason. I don’t fancy it at all because they’re so slooooooow. Never mind, I’ll just have to bite the bullet as they say.
    @leeCal Good luck, it's the same at my chemist!  if you can, take something to read with you for the wait.

Well done @Cher_Scope What a relief that will be to finally have it submitted I know thats how I felt when I did mine

In those days though you had to have it bound and handed in person
    Thank you @janer1967 I'll feel like a new person tomorrow  :)  Nope this one is just a "press submit" job.  6 months work has gone into it! 

Well done @Cher_Scope, sustained effort really does pay off eventually doesn’t it.
    Well not that I need a goal every day but today I’m finding it very hard to motivate myself to do something I really should do, at least soon anyway. It’s to fix the decking basically as it moves a lot because the base plates have rotted. It’ll wait but I often find it difficult to get going and I don’t want the weather to get too damp before it’s done.

ill have a coffee and think about it again....
    @leeCal you sound like me do anything to put off what jobs need doing 

My goal complete today getting everything ready for sons return to school tomorrow good job I hadn't forgot anything as bit last minute to sort it 
    That does sound like a big job @leeCal! A coffee sounds like a good idea. It's okay if you don't feel up to it today though, there's always another day

Good luck to your son for tomorrow @janer1967!

Hi @janer1967  a big day tomorrow then, will he have to wear a face mask at school? 
    Thinking back to maths sessions I had at school they were so boring if I’d worn a face mask as well I’d definitely had been snoozing in no time! 🤣 but that’s just me of course.
    He only going for 2 hours tomorrow for learning about new covid process 

He got to wear mask around school but not in class 

It will be me that finds it hard him not being here 
    edited September 2
    It's good that they're going to explain the processes to the students @janer1967. Do you have anything nice planned for tomorrow to help take your mind off of it? 

@Tori_Scope i will no doubt do some of my study. Friday will be the worst as he is there all day and then going to his dads after school (he hasnt seen him since March)

So I am going to be wrapping his birthday presents and baking his birthday cake to keep me busy
    edited September 2
    Ah yes of course, that'll be good to keep you busy @janer1967

That's a long time! At least you'll have his birthday weekend to look forward to :) What cake are you baking? I have fond memories of my Mum baking me birthday cakes

His contact with his dad is very hit and miss I am afraid his dad has a new family so Toby isn't high on his dad priority list unfortunately but thats a whole other story.

I am making a choc fudge cake with all different chocs on the top, too old now for themed cakes
    Ah sorry to hear that @janer1967, that sounds like a difficult situation.

That sounds amazing! I'm sure he'll love it. One is never too old for a themed cake. A couple of my friends made me a traffic cone themed birthday cake (that is also a whole other story...) in my first year of university and it was the best

I think we go back to our childhood and want themed cakes but at 14 it's too un cool lol 

It will be a choc themed cake 
    @leecal Thank you, yep hard work pays off in the end  :)

All this talk of cakes has got me wanting a Colin the Caterpillar.  

@Cher_Scope My better half made a really nice blueberry cake yesterday, very nice, the blueberries were a little like jam, tasty!
    I saw a Colin the Caterpillar look alike cake in Aldi this week
    @Janer1967 Oooh did the look alike have a name?

@leecal It sounds like you have dropped on with your better half! Blueberry cake yum  :)

It probably did Cher but I didn't look #m afraid I prefer home baked to the shop bought cardboard texture like cakes
    I agree.  There's nothing like home-baking.  It takes something special to beat my coffee cake  :D

The Aldi version is Cuthbert the Caterpillar FYI everyone

@Tori_Scope Have you done a taste test?  Who is best in your opinion, Colin or Cuthbert?

I'm merely here in a professional capacity @Cher_Scope. Scope stays neutral on such issues, I believe. 

My goal for today is to buy a birthday present for somebody :smiley:
    @66Mustang good luck.

What I must do is try to remove quite a few screws from decking I removed yesterday, not an easy task. Actually the whole job has grown horribly, ill persist but I may need help with this one.
    @janer1967 it sounds like you've had a productive few days! I imagine it will be an adjustment for you both with your son going back to school. How is he doing?

How are things going @leeCal? Blueberry cake sounds AMAZING!

Good luck today @66Mustang! Any ideas?
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    66Mustang said:
    But my birthday's two weeks away yet  :D Good luck shopping!

My goal for today is to get through to the doctors to make an appointment.  I am currently in a telephone queue so almost there.

@Chloe_Scope just in for a tea break. I’ve managed to get all the screws out. Now I need heavy duty rubble sacks for the old concrete and rotten wood. Phew 😅 

maybe i I should’ve left well alone...
    @leeCal Its starting to sound like a big job you have started there, and you deserve the tea break and maybe a slice of that cake, if there is any left

@Chloe_Scope First day gone ok but it was only for 2 hours today but he is glad to have seen his friends again and said how many of them have got taller and their voices have broke , he was one of the only ones before as he is nearly a year older then the others

Used my free time to good use got a lamb stew cooking away in the slow cooker will have some home made yorkshire pudding with it must admit ther smell is making my tummy rumble
    @Cher_Scope, team birthday party?!

@leeCal, certainly sounds like you needed the tea break, any biscuits? 

@janer1967, sounds like a productive day for you! Got to love the slow cooker. My sister is also looking forward to seeing her friends as well, it's been a long time for them!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    @janer1967 lamb stew sounds delicious! 

Im resting now, the job will wait. 😓 
    I'm glad it went well for him @janer1967 :) Your tea sounds lovely! You're making my tummy rumble too...

@Chloe_Scope @Cher_Scope team birthday party with a Colin and Cuthbert the Caterpillar taste test? 

edited September 3
    leeCal said:
    @66Mustang good luck.

What I must do is try to remove quite a few screws from decking I removed yesterday, not an easy task. Actually the whole job has grown horribly, ill persist but I may need help with this one.
    Do you have a, I don’t remember the exact name of the tool, maybe impact driver? It’s basically a really strong electric screwdriver. It can tighten or un-tighten screws.

A while ago I had to take some shelves apart and I begun using a screwdriver which was hard work until someone gave me this tool which took the screws out with no effort, just push the driver into the screw, pull the trigger and it’s undone.
    Good luck today @66Mustang! Any ideas?
    I ended up buying a huge bottle of AutoGlym car shampoo (it’s like the “Lego” of car shampoo!) for the person who is fond of their car. It was £17.50 for a 2.5L bottle and usually a 500ml bottle is £8 so very good value and should last them a long time. For the other person I went away from the baking idea and purchased some nice little wooden animal decorations! :smiley:
    66Mustang said:
    But my birthday's two weeks away yet  :D Good luck shopping!

My goal for today is to get through to the doctors to make an appointment.  I am currently in a telephone queue so almost there.
    Haha :D

I hope you got through to the doctors today! I can see it being hard at the moment.
    edited September 3
    @66Mustang yes I have an impact driver, wouldn’t be without it. The problem I had was that the screws came out of the rotten wood but stayed in the decking planks, then they’d turn but not withdraw. So I turned the boards over and whacked them through with a hammer and then they came out with the impact driver. Tiring but job done now. 

Now all all I need to do is decide whether to relay decking or do without. The decking itself lasts well but the timber it’s fixed to rots quietly underneath. Ephemeral.

thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated.

was your shopping trip a success? I see it was, great stuff.
    edited September 3
    I’m glad to hear you got it done @leeCal

That is a tricky conundrum as to whether to relay the decking. If you didn’t relay it what would you have there instead?

I learnt a new word from your post :) I had heard it before but never knew what “ephemeral” meant so looked it up!
    edited September 3
    Actually what I found after taking it all up was block paving, @66Mustang though it’s incomplete it would do as it’s at the end of the garden and only used for a few pots and a a couple of metal chairs. It’s just a shame I have some decking now which is in very good condition spare.

even my neighbour mentioned that because it is treated timber it can’t be burnt in her coal fire. Perhaps I should try to sell it locally, that’s if I decide to do without it.

(great you Learned a new word! 🙂)
    @Chloe_Scope @Tori_Scope we definitely need to organise a caterpillar cake themed party!!  

@leeCal I got through although there weren't any appointments for a couple of weeks.  Never-mind.  The NHS are under a lot of pressure at the moment aren't they?

Any goals for today everyone?  

My goal for today has been sorting my sons room so i can move my collection into it, he has moved to London for Uni, sad to see him go, but know he will do well, a new adventure for him, so i'm taking over his room  swapping from the small box room to his larger room, it'll take a while to do as i'm not very mobile at the minute, but with my wifes help it should be good
    @grinchy That sounds like a productive plan may as well put the extra room to good use I presume your son doesnt intend to return home after uni

My plans for today completed this morning I was up earlier than usual making sure the boy got off yo school ok, wrapped his presents and baked his cake will decorate it tomorrow
    @Grinchy aww has it felt strange since he went?  What is your collection?

@janer1967 well done on the early goal completion! Get you! I hope your son has a lovely birthday weekend.

I’m still working on the patio thingy. Bagged up ten rubble bags full of assorted concrete and rotten timber, so now I can see the wood for the trees, or now the dog can see the rabbit...but that’s another thread elsewhere.

so, quick cup of tea and back to work for me. 😅
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,331 Pioneering
    Sounds like you've been very productive @leeCal, a cup of tea sounds lovely!

Online Community Coordinator

Sign in or join us to comment.