Gym — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Gym

Options
uk71
uk71 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
I am struggling to deal with these covid-19 rules which are very disability unfriendly. One of the latest being that my gym at claiming that you cannot bring a bag into the gym. You have to be 'gym ready'. But I need to carry around certain things with me in a bag for disability-related reasons.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @uk71! This category doesn't get used much any more, so I'm going to move your post into the Disabled People category so that more of our members will be able to see your post.

That is frustrating. I would encourage you to speak to your gym directly about it, and explain the situation if you haven't already.

I had a look at some government guidelines, and they say: 
    All venues should encourage attendees to arrive at the facility in sports kit and where possible to travel home to change/shower. Use of changing rooms and showering facilities should in general be avoided where possible, although these must be available for participants with disabilities or special needs and are likely to be needed after swimming.
    So it looks like there might perhaps be some wiggle room? I'd hope they'd be understanding as long as you both agree on what further steps you can take to protect yourself and others.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • uk71
    Options
    Thank you Tori_Scope. I must look further into the guidelines.I am expecting a call from somebody from my gym to clearly explain their covid-19 rules. I shall certainly raise this new situation with them. If that doesn't work then I shall see where I can write a letter of complaint where I can explain my situation.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    No problem @uk71. Yes, definitely do some more reading if you can so that you're well equipped for the call. If I come across anything else I'll send it your way.

I've got my fingers crossed for you! Please do let us know how you get on, as I'm sure some of our other members will be in similar positions.

• uk71
    Options
    Hello Tori_Scope. I have just had the phone call where I have requested further explanation of the gym's covid-19 rules. The caller says that she will contact the centre's manager so I can speak to him about why I need to take a bag to the gym.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    That definitely sounds positive @uk71. As I said, hopefully they'll just want to talk through how this can all be done in the safest way possible :) Thanks for letting me know.

• uk71
    Options
    I have just spoken to the gym centre manager. I have sorted out the situation about me bringing a bag and also a coat into the gym. The manager is happy to accommodate that and will let the other staff know about my situation.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Fantastic result @uk71! I'm so glad they're willing to accommodate. Thank you so much for sharing this with the community :) 

• uk71
    Options
    Thank you for your advice Tori_Scope.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Not at all @uk71- this was all you!

• uk71
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.