Universal Credit and Postgraduate degree — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal Credit and Postgraduate degree

james19o6
james19o6 Community member Posts: 158 Courageous
Hello guys,
My son is due to start his Master or Postgraduate in September and he has been approved to receive postgraduate loan from sfc. As you know Postgraduate loan is not same us undergraduate as they dont pay maintance loan. So my son will receice £11,222 from sfc and he has to pay 6500 for his tuition fee and for the rest £4722 he has to pay for his living and travelling costs etc. But he is also receiving Universal credit for the last 2 months. So i was going to ask will it affect his Universal Credit entilement? If yes, does he have to report it or will the University tell the dwp or UC that my son is studying?

Many thanks for you advices

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If this is full time then students can only cliam UC under very certain circumstances. Being assessed and having limited capability for work is one of them, along with claiming a disability benefit such as PIP/DLA.

All changes of circumstances need to be reported, his Uni will not report the changes for him.
    This link gives you all the criteria for students and UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.