In what ways do you find the design of buildings inaccessible? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In what ways do you find the design of buildings inaccessible?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger

I recently watched a TED talk given by Sinead Burke, the disability rights activist, called  “Why design should include everyone”.

In the TED talk Sinead speaks about living in a world designed for people of a ‘normal height’ and tells us how as a little person, who is 3 foot 5 inch, she comes across different problems in daily life.  Some of these problems relate to locking toilet doors, being unable to reach cups in coffee shops and sitting on chairs.  

Sinead speaks more about these issues in her empowering BBC Desert Island Discs podcast saying,

“We have become so focused designing a world for one specific type of person that our lens has been so narrow that if we widened it to include a whole host of people, we’ll realise quickly that has benefit and value for everybody”

Photo of communal toilet sinks

Over to you,  have you experienced inaccessible building designs? If so, where and what happened?  
Or have you seen a good example of an inclusive building or shop that was easy to get around?  

Let us know your thoughts in the comments.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi

I find lots of buildings that have issues with access being a wheelchair user, anywhere with steps to enter the building is a no go area if on my own. I find older bulidings are the main issue

Also places where there isnt disabled toilets and also very cramped so cant turn around in the chair

Height is also an issue for wheelchair users cant reach top shelves in shops, counter tops too high

The list could go on its endless 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @janer1967 Agh, that sounds really impractical and emphasises the point that buildings are designed for just the one kind of person - 2 legs, no wheels!  Have you been anywhere and been impressed by it?

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Mainly shopping centres like meadowhell are good for access and disabled facilities but some of the shops inside are too cramped 

The sports direct shop in French gate centre totally unacceptable 2nd floor can get in ground floor but no lift in store can use centre lift but then entrance into 2nd floor of shop has steps told them few times but the staff just turn you away 
  • Cher_Alumni
    'Meadowhell'  :D I agree there, I'm impressed with most of the facilities and the wide landings but some shops have very narrow aisles.

That's disappointing about Sports Direct.  A good example of how not to be inclusive or cater to the diversity of bodies! 

• Saffy2000
    Saffy2000 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Doors that have to be physically opened .... ever tried it in a wheelchair?  
  • Sorry_Susan
    Sorry_Susan Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Counters at banks are high. Counters in general are high. 
    My daughter is a wheelchair user and on occasion she is completely ignored and l am addressed instead by assistants or tellers. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Saffy2000 grr, I can imagine the frustration  :smile:

@Sorry_Susan That must be really annoying for her, I'm sorry.  These are good examples of how we need to be more inclusive in the design of everyday buildings.  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.