bipolar disorder and alcoholism — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

bipolar disorder and alcoholism

Tracey2710
Tracey2710 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
ho everyone my son suffers from bipolar disorder 1 rapid cycling he is also an alcoholic. Although he was in recovery and didn't drink for 6 years. He has been on a rollercoaster with both illnesses for 2 years and was hospitalised several time for his bipolar.  Unfortunately thing got really bad 8 weeks ago and he became homeless. He now lives in a 2 bed house sharing with 1 other person. When he moved in 2 weeks ago most of the house
s windows were boarded up and still are Although they said they would be glazed straight away .its an open house to anyone and has led my son to having anxiety attacks his lock on his door sticks so he has been locked in. He's no angle when he drinks but he is very VUNRUBLE he also smokes wakey bakey I don't know what I can do to help him he went to aa for 5 years but stopped going and thats when the problems started. I wish I could afford to aend him to rehabe but I can't the problem is whilst he is mixing with people with addiction he can't get well i feel he has been put in a very bad place to live and his bipolar disorder has not been taken into consideration there is no care for him. I would appreciate any help such as addiction charities homeless charities i lost a son to suicide several years ago who probably suffered with bipolar. I really don't want to lose my only remaining child.please any help would be greatly appreciated  ? 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracey2710 - I'm so sorry to read about what you're going through, & what you have been through too.
    The following charity may be able to help your son with his mental health & addiction problems, if they are in his area (there's a postcode check on the site). Please see: https://www.richmondfellowship.org.uk/
    For mental health: https://www.rethink.org/
    Shelter may be able to help about his housing. See: https://www.shelter.org.uk/
    I do hope some of this may help, but others may know of other organisations that could too.
    Please use this forum to chat any time, & do let us know how you & your son get on, thank you. :)

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Tracey2710 Welcome to our online community.  I'm sorry you've found us under such difficult circumstances but we can help support you through this.

Firstly, is your son under the care of a local mental health team for both his bipolar and alcoholism?

Also, is the house that he is sharing a council house?  If it is, the council should have a tenant support service that can help him chase up the repairs, and assist with his vulnerable position.  

I'd really advise you to get in touch with Shelter who are a housing and homelessness charity who are brilliant in situations like this.  They have a free helpline that you can call on 0808 800 4444.  They are open 8am - 8pm on weekdays and 9am - 5pm on weekends.

For your son's alcoholism, I'd use the FRANK website to find the support services local to you.  If you go through the link, enter your postcode and click drug and alcohol action team in the services list, you should be given some names and contact details for people who can help.  

I understand your upset and just want to reassure you that we are here to help you.  Make sure you look after yourself too  <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tracey2710
    Thank you for your replys my Son has a mental health team however his cpn nurse was on long term sick and has now left. He does have a support worker who i am hoping to see on Wednesday with my son at his house so he can see for himself the living conditions for him self. The property was allocated to him from a charity called p3. But to be honest I wouldn't put a dog in there i worry more about my sons safety than anything because there are so many strangers in and out of the house. Thank you i will look at the things you have suggested.  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracey2710 Welcome to the community I hope you get some help from the suggestions made

Have you spoke to his GP about your concerns it may also help if you get some support for yourself and try and find out more what you can do to support your son.

Are there not any rehab programmes that are available on the NHS maybe have a look on their website

Good look for the meeting hope it brings some support
  • Tracey2710
    Thanks for replying we have alcohol support service called recovery for you. But he says he doesn't need it. In AA they call this denial but unless he goes there he has no chance of rehab.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tracey2710

I'm just checking in to see how you and your son are.  I hope things are okay.  Have you managed to access any more support?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Tracey2710
    Hi Cher thanks for thinking of us.  I saw Craig's mental health support worker with Craig on Wednesday it doesn't seem like he can help Craig with regards to his housing situation but I was able to speak to a lady who is support for Craig's tenancy she got intouch with the other gentleman that shares the property with Craig and told him that he can't have all these visitors that come and go as they please but unfortunately my son didn't go back last night he insisted that he can't go back he says nothing will change so he stayed the garage at my sisters house with his cousin. His cousin is not helping maters as he was the one supplying my son with the cannabis that then turned to him drinking alcohol.  So at the moment I'm struggling Craig is smoking cannabis again today and although my sister told him he could only stop over last night he seems determined to stay there. Sorry if this is long winded but I can't see anything changing while he is with his cousin or at the house. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like it's a tough situation for you to be in @Tracey2710. I really hope things improve.
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.