NHS wheelchair service users are not protected by law — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

NHS wheelchair service users are not protected by law

Options
Cazbarr
Cazbarr Community member Posts: 4 Listener

My name is Caroline; I am a full-time wheelchair user with a disability called Arthrogryposis.   I receive my electric wheelchair from the NHS wheelchair service and have done for many years. 

14 months ago, the batteries on my electric wheelchair leaked, this caused £4000 damage to 90% of my home flooring. 

While making a compensation claim, I was shocked that no legal help was available to me as this situation was/is not covered by the consumer or any other law.  Why?  Because I never “purchased” my electric wheelchair, it is on loan from the NHS wheelchair service.   

This meant I spent 13 months fighting for compensation on my own.  How many people would feel capable of doing this by themselves, or have the courage or patience to do the same?  This, I feel is one of the main reasons disabled people get such terrible service from the NHS wheelchair service and such like, because they know not many will fight back! 

The law seemingly does nothing to protect consumers when receiving “loan” equipment from services like the NHS wheelchair service.  I want to change this. 

I have started a petition in the hope to have the present consumer law changed/amended/updated to help better protect other disabled people that may find themselves in a similar situation.

I would really appreciate it if you could sign my petition and share as much as possible.

Petition link:  https://bit.ly/34XmyL3

Thank you to each and every one of you that sign or share.  :)

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    I can't say I am surprised and it doesn't just cover wheelchairs as equipment and care provided by Social Services is also "on loan" for most. In my case I purchased a recliner chair and when it failed they have made it very difficult for me to sort out properly, denying some responsibility, immediately referring me to an Ombudsman when I complained and so on. Having the words disabled or mobility in their names or descriptions means they are dealing with vulnerable people and  they should be made, by law, to provide a caring service and taking responsibility for problems they cause.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Cazbarr and thanks for sharing.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cazbarr
    Options
  • Cazbarr
    Options
    It is appalling that so many people can be affected and nothing has been done.  I think this is going to run more deeply than I first imagined.
  • Cazbarr
    Options
    If anyone has had similar problems, please do get in touch with me.  It would be helpful to know of other service providers who also make it difficult for people to complain when things go wrong and no legal help available.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cazbarr, how are you doing? :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.