George Ezra - “Pure O” OCD — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

George Ezra - “Pure O” OCD

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
I thought I would share this article as I found it interesting and it is similar to what I have.

His condition manifests as thinking about the worst and most inappropriate thing to say in a certain situation.

With me it is currently undiagnosed but it manifests as thinking about the worst thing I could do in a situation (i.e. if in a group: shout out, if I’m driving: crash the car, if chopping food: use the knife on someone/myself) and then being scared I’m going to act on that thought, so slightly different, however this is the most similar thing I found in the media to what I have so I thought I’d share it :)

If nothing else it highlights that OCD is not just about washing your hands and counting things.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53950320

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @66Mustang, that's such an interesting read. I'm glad that such a huge celebrity has spoken about this, hopefully it will raise awareness.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    @66Mustang I know exactly what you mean, thankfully it has a name but what is the treatment, any ideas? I suppose cbt.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Thanks for reading @Ross_Scope and @leeCal. :)

I don’t know what the best treatment is and I think neither do the doctors at this stage - my experience is that they are experimenting at the moment. Personally I have tried CBT but it hasn’t worked, and I am now on a small dose of antipsychotic medicine and I’d say the thoughts are maybe 10-20% quieter now but definitely still there. The next step may be increasing the dose or trying different medicines.

Thanks again
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    That's a fascinating read, thanks for sharing @66Mustang

I have experienced similar intrusive thoughts before and I think it's something that a lot of us get occasionally but are scared to speak out about.  I too have had instances sat in a group where I thought.. oh no, I'm going to shout something random :D These times are often anxiety-provoking and a real challenge.  

Positively, I think the more we share these experiences and break down the taboo, we can recognise these feelings for what they are, distressing but often fleeting thoughts.  Personally, I've found CBT a great help with dealing with this although I know it doesn't work for everyone.  

Keep us updated with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    I've been doing a few of the OCD-UK Zoom meetings and this was mentioned at one last week.  :)

Currently the treatment for this sort of thing is still CBT.  The basic idea is that you 'accept' these thoughts rather than dwelling on them or trying to get rid of them.  

Although I'm a stereotypical OCD sufferer with lots of handwashing and many visible rituals akin to the character in my avatar, I do also experience awful intrusive thoughts, which are often more difficult to deal with in my opinion.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing @66Mustang
    Scope

• 66Mustang
    That's a fascinating read, thanks for sharing @66Mustang

I have experienced similar intrusive thoughts before and I think it's something that a lot of us get occasionally but are scared to speak out about.  I too have had instances sat in a group where I thought.. oh no, I'm going to shout something random :D These times are often anxiety-provoking and a real challenge.  

Positively, I think the more we share these experiences and break down the taboo, we can recognise these feelings for what they are, distressing but often fleeting thoughts.  Personally, I've found CBT a great help with dealing with this although I know it doesn't work for everyone.  

Keep us updated with how you get on.
    It did help me to find out that others also get similar thoughts.

What you described is exactly the thoughts I get when in a group, haha. Often in a group setting where you are supposed to be quiet like a wedding/funeral or a meeting. It does seem silly and almost funny but the anxiety it creates is serious. I found that sharing with the group the fact that I am worried about calling out, and if I do to just ignore me, made the worry about doing it in the first place go away. Obviously that wouldn’t work with a situation like driving, though!

Distressing but fleeting is a great way of describing the thoughts. I am told to tell myself “it’s just a thought” but am always worried that the thought can turn into an action or a loss of control. Shouting out a group it would be embarrassing but ultimately harmless but some of the thoughts like crashing a car or doing something bad with a knife are more serious.

Thanks for taking the time to read and post :)
  • 66Mustang
    I've been doing a few of the OCD-UK Zoom meetings and this was mentioned at one last week.  :)

Currently the treatment for this sort of thing is still CBT.  The basic idea is that you 'accept' these thoughts rather than dwelling on them or trying to get rid of them.  

Although I'm a stereotypical OCD sufferer with lots of handwashing and many visible rituals akin to the character in my avatar, I do also experience awful intrusive thoughts, which are often more difficult to deal with in my opinion.
    A psychologist did try to teach me to accept the thoughts and also to try to think of them as helpful thoughts. For example if worried about doing something with a knife, think: “yes I could do that, and it would have a bad consequence, but I don’t want to so I won’t”.

I have “stereotypical” OCD as well. It is interesting that you get intrusive thoughts, I wonder whether it is linked with OCD or whether those with one are more likely to have the other?
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for sharing @66Mustang
    Thanks to you as well for reading it :)
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,585 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:

A psychologist did try to teach me to accept the thoughts and also to try to think of them as helpful thoughts. For example if worried about doing something with a knife, think: “yes I could do that, and it would have a bad consequence, but I don’t want to so I won’t”.

I have “stereotypical” OCD as well. It is interesting that you get intrusive thoughts, I wonder whether it is linked with OCD or whether those with one are more likely to have the other?
    I've found there are an awful lot more people with 'Pure O' than contamination OCD, both on forums and at the meetings.  Not a scientific test of course but it seems very noticeable.  It does seem that most contamination sufferers also have intrusive thoughts but those with just intrusive thoughts, won't necessarily go on to have contamination fears... 

Personally, I still believe there's more to OCD that will be discovered in the next few years and decades...whether it'll come soon enough for us, I have no idea!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.