The latest version of me: searching for employment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The latest version of me: searching for employment

Sheerah
Sheerah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited October 2020 in Work and employment
Hello everyone.  
I am not at all sure how to fit in but I'm going to try.  I'm 56 and desperate to return to work in some form I have been restricted by limited ability to  walk far, stand for periods of time reach up or kneel without pain. This new me came just a short time ago in February 2019. An accident led to a major operation which led to many failings and ultimately has led to the new limited me.  I am trying my hardest to push forward and very gradually I am finding tiny improvements.  I am desperately trying to find work as I'd always worked in retail shop floor customer service assistant ect.   Its the first time I've had to think about the things I can and cannot manage regarding employment. I've applied for positions but  where they ask if I have a disability I feel if I don't inform the employer it would annoy them when I arrive and see I'm not what they want. I'm scared of not  getting the opportunity to show the skills I do have.  I'd love some advice. I'm afraid I have suffered many years from anxiety and depression but through the work I did I always found I escaped that a bit.  I love helping others and thrive around other people so finding this wonderful site is a god send. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi Sheerah, it's great that you've reached out to others on this Forum. 
    Sometimes it's useful to get a range of different ideas. 

Although you've worked in retail before, something less physically taxing might now be more suitable for you. I'm thinking maybe working as an advice line, customer service or helpline operator. That way, you'd still be dealing with the public but not have to stand up all day. This is just one suggestion. 
    Are you thinking of working full time or part time? 
    Give yourself time to get used to new capabilities and conditions. 
    I would say that you should always be honest with prospective employers. 
    Wishing you all the best in your search for suitable employment. 

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sheerah

Good Morning & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

I am one of the Community Champion’s here at Scope. 

Yes I went through the same situation a few years ago now.

You can get help through the “Access to Work Scheme”

Here’s some info below for you.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj1w9Tu19brAhWDse0KHQK6AO8YABAAGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAESQOD2yLSbmq1dQIhwJZd9qr1uckkIlb2-ZNJzHiLTg1CP2_mRXQ2-_fztpPvv_ygLAcDqUREm_UiJCEPzSNmO_Ho&sig=AOD64_2AnueSret-E6FraugfEn4MVdng4Q&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwj5-svu19brAhUITRUIHXwrCNMQ0Qx6BAgNEAE

Please please let let me know if you need any help with the above info.

@steve51

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sheerah - welcome to this friendly & supportive community. Thank you for joining with your positive message in that you're trying to find ways in which to get back to work. You have overcome so much & are still trying to progress & I'm sure you'd be an asset to any shop.
    Scope has some info that may help in asking for 'Reasonable adjustments' in the workplace. Scope also has a 'Support to work' programme + others, which may be useful.
    I hope some of the above may help, & do also chat here any time. :)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Sheerah and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this with us. Scope have employment services which you might find beneficial.

Here are some other articles you might find helpful:

Please do let us know how you get on and if there is anything else we can do to help. :)
    Scope

• Sheerah
    Sheerah Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Thank you Chloe... I feel I will need help finding work as my age and my ability is definitely going to need a little support... Thank you for your advice ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sheerah and welcome to our online community.  I see our lovely members have provided you with lots of support already!  

The good news is that there are more opportunities to do flexible working now than ever, so it might be worth exploring different job opportunities.  Also, your age and being disabled are characteristics that make you unique and an asset to organisations - you have lived experiences that other candidates won't have so big it up.  No doubt having your major operation made you resilient, flexible and determined; reflect on what you have learnt and make sure to put it on your CV and be proud of it in interviews.

Please let us know how you get on and the very best of luck.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    I am a bit younger than the OP (44 and half) and am struggling to get a job in Sheffield.

Every time I declare my disability on any application I get insta rejected, is it not supposed to be ILLEVGAL to do that? But under the DDA the onus is on ME to rpve discrimination by taking the company to the proverbial cleaners under the DDA or the Equality Act, which I can't afford and don't have a Lawyer.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @MrAllen1976! I think I remember speaking to you about this before. I'm sorry to hear that you're still struggling to find work. 

This is what I found before: 
    I can't say I know much about employment law, but from reading the gov.uk page on disability rights and employment law, it looks like maybe an employer is allowed to ask about any impairments you might have if it would impact on your ability to carry out a task that's an 'essential part of the work'? 
    I also had a look on Citizens Advice, and found this, similar, information:

"Employers can treat disabled people less favourably only if they have a sufficiently justifiable reason for doing so, and only if the problem cannot be overcome by making 'reasonable adjustments'. For example, an employer would be justified in rejecting someone with severe back pain for a job as a carpet fitter, as they cannot carry out the essential requirements of the job."

It looks like the Fulfilment Associate job involves 'offloading stock deliveries, processing work orders, locating merchandise, and packaging orders for shipment', so it might have been their view that they couldn't have put a reasonable adjustment in place for you as the job appears to involve a lot of packing and lifting. I'd encourage you to have a look into it yourself though.

Employers can treat disabled people less favourably only if they have a sufficiently justifiable reason for doing so, and only if the problem cannot be overcome by making 'reasonable adjustments'. For example, an employer would be justified in rejecting someone with severe back pain for a job as a carpet fitter, as they cannot carry out the essential requirements of the job.

Did you ever have a look at our Support to Work service to see if it could benefit you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Hi @MrAllen1976! I think I remember speaking to you about this before. I'm sorry to hear that you're still struggling to find work. 

This is what I found before: 
    I can't say I know much about employment law, but from reading the gov.uk page on disability rights and employment law, it looks like maybe an employer is allowed to ask about any impairments you might have if it would impact on your ability to carry out a task that's an 'essential part of the work'? 
    I also had a look on Citizens Advice, and found this, similar, information:

"Employers can treat disabled people less favourably only if they have a sufficiently justifiable reason for doing so, and only if the problem cannot be overcome by making 'reasonable adjustments'. For example, an employer would be justified in rejecting someone with severe back pain for a job as a carpet fitter, as they cannot carry out the essential requirements of the job."

It looks like the Fulfilment Associate job involves 'offloading stock deliveries, processing work orders, locating merchandise, and packaging orders for shipment', so it might have been their view that they couldn't have put a reasonable adjustment in place for you as the job appears to involve a lot of packing and lifting. I'd encourage you to have a look into it yourself though.

Employers can treat disabled people less favourably only if they have a sufficiently justifiable reason for doing so, and only if the problem cannot be overcome by making 'reasonable adjustments'. For example, an employer would be justified in rejecting someone with severe back pain for a job as a carpet fitter, as they cannot carry out the essential requirements of the job.

Did you ever have a look at our Support to Work service to see if it could benefit you?
    I contacted your support to work people before, and they never got back to me, there may be messages on the Landline at the Flat but due to the second lockdown I am living with my Parents till whenever Boris Johnson lets everyone carry on as normal.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I've popped an email over to the Support to Work team @MrAllen1976 :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.