Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Music through the decades

DragonslayerDragonslayer Member Posts: 259 Pioneering
I am an avid music fan and old enough to remember the very best bands (Groups as they used to be called) over quite a few decades.
I love Rock. Classic, romantic, soft. But not over keen on heavy , but do like some.
I also love the old old pop groups of the 60's which I grew up with and remember things like Top of the Pops on TV. And listening to the singles charts on the radio, with the 'old gang' in the park every Sunday evening. 

Which band/group is now, or was back then, the best you remember?

For me Queen is among the best ever. 

Replies

• leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 1,258 Pioneering
    Led zeppelin, the who, roxy music and Bowie, later on I liked 10cc, wang Chung, the police. And although it was totally uncool I liked most of the ABBA songs ...sssshhh!

i expect I’ll remember more ‘as time goes by’.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 887 Pioneering
    I agree Queen and Freddie Mercury were amazing and are probably one of my fave groups too.  Their music never gets old.

Other than Queen, I have an eclectic taste in music. I love U2, Arctic Monkeys, The Police, Coldplay and a bit of Diana Ross and The Supremes!  

I remember watching Top of the Pops on a Thursday night was it, on the BBC?  I used to listen to the Radio 1 top 40 charts too on a Sunday night  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    @leecal 10CC's I'm not in love makes me cry every time! 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • CressCress Member Posts: 123 Pioneering
    It's years since I've actually bought any music....the last CDs I bought were Shed 7 The Verve Ocean colour Scene, Cast, Lightening Seeds Snow Patrol...no, I did buy an Adele more recently...but my first ever was Puppy Love...by Donny Osmond...bless my cotton socks...lol
    My first music tape was Chaka Demus and Pliers classic song, Tease Me  :D

Some good choices there @Cress I'm a big fan of 90's indie stuff too.

The first LP I bought was ‘in hearing of’ by Atomic Rooster, still have it.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,240 Disability Gamechanger
  • DragonslayerDragonslayer Member Posts: 259 Pioneering
    @Cher_Scope I think TOP was on the BBC. Many people watched it and still miss it.
    @leeCal You have no need to shhssss or be uncool ABBA were great at the time and still have a big following today, the success of the films testify to that.

What about the Sixties
    The Kinks. Dave Clark five. The Hollies. The Four Seasons.
    And does anyone remember..... Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch? 

• Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 433 Pioneering
    edited September 10
    A couple of you have mentioned Queen and I think the great thing about them is how they seem to transcend the generations, everyone seems to love them. 

For me, I grew up in the 2000s when people either listened to rock or emerging hip hop artists, thankfully I went down the rock path. My first CD was a Green Day one, and they remain my favourite band to this day. 

Recently bought my first vinyl, but I don't have a record player to spin it on!
    Online Community Coordinator

@Ross_Scope ooh what vinyl?  Maybe it'll be worth adding a record player to your Christmas wish-list if you can wait that long :)

@Dragonslayer Ahhh The Kinks music is another one that never gets old.  Lola is a belter!  My fave 60's song is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Young Girl.  it always gets me singing.

• Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,026 Scope community team
    Major Queen fan here!
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 3,106 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayer I certainly remember Dave Dee (and the rest) was part of my parents collection and used to listen to it ofn

Im an Elvis fan cant beat 'The Wonder of You' amongst others  

I also like the old country music like Kenny Rogers, Patsy Cline Tammy Wynette

More recent are Whitney Housten, Gloria Estefan , Il Divo, Lighthouse Family, Adele and Gabrielle
  • TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,258 Pioneering
    Queen? Disgusting......

I started getting into music in the 70's and there will never be a better group than Deep Purple also no better male singer than Ian Gillan and no better guitarist than Ritchie Blackmore. Of course Hawkwind are a close second and who could leave out Pink Floyd.

I did appreciate Led Zeppelin just disappointed than unlike so many back then they were a 4 man line up unlike the Brits who were usually 5.

I like various groups and individuals as my music sense has grown over the years so later on Madonna (not the early rubbish), Shakira, Anastacia, Pink and Bjork get a look in as do Fluke, U2, Eminem, Evanescence, Pendulum, Linkin Park, Trivium and Il Nino and yes I live heavy metal as well as others and so Five Finger Death Punch, Nightwish and Amaranthe are my current favorites.

In the 90's and early 2000's I was heavily into dance music and have ALL the Bonkers albums which are DJ Hardcore mixes.

Of all the CD's I have though (and I have a lot) I guess the most by a single artist would be by Prince as I have almost all of them and a special mention goes to Dragonforce as I have all theirs up to a certain point plus they have a cool name, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 1,186 Disability Gamechanger
    I grew up in the 2000s as well so mostly newer music, but I still like a lot of old music and think it is generally better than modern music.

Some of my favourite older bands...

Led Zeppelin
    The Animals
    Genesis
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath

That said as a teenager I did go through a phase of liking modern rock and heavy metal music. Some bands that come to mind are:

Disturbed
    Linkin Park
    Rammstein
    Slipknot
    Pendulum
    I can't believe no-one has mentioned the Stones yet! What is wrong with you people? Surely I'm not the only one who likes them? 
    What about the Who, Police, and the Beatles. 
    I was never into the Beatles, never really rated them, but at least they did make some good songs.

Does anyone remember the track Legend of Zanadu and who made it?
    I may have the spelling out on that one😯
    A couple of you have mentioned Queen and I think the great thing about them is how they seem to transcend the generations, everyone seems to love them. 

For me, I grew up in the 2000s when people either listened to rock or emerging hip hop artists, thankfully I went down the rock path. My first CD was a Green Day one, and they remain my favourite band to this day. 

Recently bought my first vinyl, but I don't have a record player to spin it on!

You should get a record player and add it to your collection of all the other electronic things you have.
    I read something a while ago saying that vinyl plays better than CD's

@Ross_Scope ooh what vinyl?  Maybe it'll be worth adding a record player to your Christmas wish-list if you can wait that long :)

@Dragonslayer Ahhh The Kinks music is another one that never gets old.  Lola is a belter!  My fave 60's song is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Young Girl.  it always gets me singing.I

I love the Kinks also. Waterloo sunset is a classic.

• roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 60 Courageous
    @Chloe_Scope Me too.
    Queen are my favourite but I have a varied musical taste.

Queen
    The Eagles
    Many of the groups of the 60s and 70s

I also like to listen to some older music from light clasical through middle of the road to some of the modern day.
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 205 Pioneering
    Love Queen, big motown fan and michael jackson to, i have an eclectic music taste and love lots of stuff,  especially film soundtracks by the composer john williams
  • roberttaylor570roberttaylor570 Member Posts: 60 Courageous
    Do people know of the work of John Cage?

One track called 4 Minutes, 33 seconds and another called

As slow as possible.

The first is silece for the entire piece and the second requires note changes many years apart. It will take over 600 years to complete.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 645 Pioneering
    Close enough but it's Xanadu.

Group were called Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. 

Catchy, just rolls off the tongue...  :D
    My music taste is too eclectic for any single radio station.  :(   Don't really have a favourite band though!

@Cher_Scope it's a new album by a band called Creepr, they're a new, up and coming band who's latest album went to #5 in the UK, which is amazing for the rock genre these days. I think you're right Cher and @Dragonslayer, I should put a vinyl player on my Christmas list and start collecting more. The quality of vinyl is better than CDs, don't ask me why because I don't know :D 

@Topkitten I've had one of the new Trivium songs in regular rotation all year, not sure if you've heard their latest stuff?

• TopkittenTopkitten Member Posts: 1,258 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope, no I haven't heard their stuff recently.

Vinyl gives better sound quality than CD's because it's an analogue signal carrying everything whereas CD's use a fairly low digital signal. However, vinyl deteriorates gradually as it becomes worn by the needle running over the surface.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
    Ah thanks for the explanation @Topkitten :) 

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 762 Pioneering
    Assuming your favourite John Williams music is from the Star Wars films, what is your favourite Star Wars tune @Grinchy? Mine has to be the Mos Eisley Cantina song, but every piece of music in the films is so good. 
    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Queen are obviously great. If we're talking classic bands, I also love REM. They're one of my favourite bands of all time I think!
    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    edited September 11
    I like caravan palace, lone digger for example. (Don’t like the video though)
    Do you like electro swing in general @leeCal? I'm always looking for more recommendations 
  • GrinchyGrinchy Member Posts: 205 Pioneering
    Hey @Tori_Scope i  like the cantina theme to, at present i have the ET soundtrack playing, anything by him is good shindlers list is another favourite
    Hi @Tori_Scope I do like electro swing but I don’t know of any other bands particularly, I just happened across them one day on Tv and thought wow, I like this! The sound is terrific, great stuff.
    Close enough but it's Xanadu.

Group were called Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. 

Catchy, just rolls off the tongue...  

@OverlyAnxious Thanks for that. Now I remember. 
    I must really be getting old 😕
    You might like some songs by Parov Stelar @leeCal. I particularly like Catgroove, Booty Swing, and All Night. I also like Liquid Lunch by Caro Emerald. 
    I have to say, I am not familiar with a lot of the bands, or music a lot people are posting. That is probably my age showing. But I do like dance music, or elecrro? That is probably incorrect. in fact I really don't know what they call it, or the musicians playing it? It is put together by disc jockeys? Wow that's sounds ancient now! 😕
    Sorry I must be raising eyebrows now. Most, or everyone reading this will be scratching their heads and wondering what I'm talking about!! 😣
    I need help..... Please. 😯

I also get confused with the difference between electro, EDM, dance music, the different genres of House, and so on @Dragonslayer :D You've just got to fake it 'til you make it, and pull out phrases like "I love the fusion of genres here, how progressive" and "This beat is great, you can really feel where they got their influence from".

As for who makes the music, I believe that a producer makes the music, and the DJ will mix it, adding effects or blending it with other tracks, that kind of thing. I could be wrong though! 
    The beat and echo and the bunnymen, the eurythmics all good stuff.china and wang Chung. No dea what you call the music I just like it sometimes whatever it’s called, and I doesn’t make me a this or a that either. 🙂
    I like that outlook @leecal. I'm the same, I like what I like and I don't worry too much about what it's called or what other people think of it! Not knowing the name of a genre is annoying when you're trying to find similar music though
    Can't say I've heard of Echo and the Bunnymen, I wonder if that was the inspiration for Catfish and the Bottlemen?

@Tori_Scope I like House but not sure I could separate all the different types!  :D  Deep house, piano house, acid house, euphoric house, electro house...  The thing with house it's always cheerful, even if the subject matter isn't.  :)
    @OverlyAnxious I've heard of tropical house, future house, and French house too, but I don't think I could identify them! I'm not massively into house but they play it so much in clubs and at parties I got so used to hearing it. I quite like UK garage, which I think has its roots in house?
    Ooh, just Googled tropical house and it looks like there's plenty of my tracks under that sub-heading. I've learnt something there!  Also looks like there's Techno House as well (New track 'All 4 Love' has caught my ear this morning!)

I've never been to a club because of all the people, and noise, and the fact it's outside of my home...  :s   But really like club music ironically!  Still wish I'd been to Ibiza when I was a teenager...and acid house raves (albeit before I was born!)...and maybe Club Tropicana...  :D  As well as rock concerts and music festivals...tbh I'll listen to most things haha! 

Yeah I think you're right that UKG started as house, though some of it has moved too far away from that for me personally!  :)

What about Punk Rock. Sid Visious and the like.
    That was something I was not into.
    Nice @OverlyAnxious! Interesting... I bet there are absolutely loads of sub-genres.

Nothing wrong with that! I think clubbing is overrated personally, but it can be good fun sometimes. I've never been to Ibiza or anywhere like that, but based on some of the stories I've heard I'm not that sad about it :D 
    Club Tropicana
    The drinks are free!

I like a mix of genres too. 
    I was going to a gig where the clash were performing @Dragonslayer and we opened a pair of double plate glass doors to go in and the noise was so loud, I mean painfully loud and so we turned around and left immediately. We had too! The clash were punk rock...pardon? I’m sure many people damaged their hearing irreparably in that era.
    I have the odd Punk Rock song on my car playlist....  Singing 'I am an anarchist' along with Johnny Rotten whilst cruising at 30mph on my way to Tesco gives me a chuckle...  :D

Also, have you ever noticed how The Clash appear to sing 'Lock The Taskbar' way before Windows existed, let alone had an intuitive user interface?  Sorry, you won't be able to unhear it now!  :D

edited September 16
    I'm now jamming out to this while I work @OverlyAnxious :D 

boy dancing in a club
    edited September 17
    Just remembered another band that I quite like but always forget!

Simply Red.  I never used to be a fan, but then something got me started.  ;)
    Simply red are so good!  You have inspired my play-list for the next hour  :)

Jimi Hendrix  Was he the greatest guitarist ever?
    And what about the great Bob Marley. 

• chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 3,453 Disability Gamechanger
     No - Slowhand is the best guitarist imho. :)
    What a hard list that must have been to make, when we think about how many incredible artists have picked up a guitar and created memorable music. It's almost impossible to pick a number one.

I agree @Ross_Scope a very difficult task. perhaps the best guitarist could entertain solo without a band, that night whittle the list down somewhat?
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 1,186 Disability Gamechanger
    My view is that the “best” guitarist is entirely dependant on the opinion and taste of whoever is judging. Music isn’t really something where there is some definitive linear way of scoring - musicians don’t have a way of being measured to define who is better or worse than someone else, it’s all just opinion. It is not clear like running the 100m where someone who can do it in 10 seconds is better than someone who can do it in 11 seconds.

Just my random thoughts after a whisky :D
    Slash. (Saul Hudson) I is regarded as one of the best guitarists ever.
    @66Mustang It is hard to say if 'someone' is the best. It is in the view of the listeners. The one way to pick the best is the most famous I suppose.
    For me it is the player with the greatest variety of music they play and the more other people that have played with along with the most tracks they have been involved in. 
    A good guitarist can make or break a song. 
Sign in or join us to comment.