uni credit housing benefit council tax — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

uni credit housing benefit council tax

marjcolette
marjcolette Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi my son gets uni credit and pip high rate and low rate mobility he has just moved into a new flat what is he entitled too regarding housing benefit and council tax

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi it will depend on his circumstances he needs to report change on his UC journal for his housing and they will need copy of his tenancy agreement 
    He should then get the housing element of UC the amount depends on the LHA allowance 
    As for council tax each council is different as for any reduction for disability he will need to contact the council to apply you can usually do this online 

Hope this helps 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,348 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

He won't be able to claim housing benefit because it no longer exists as he's claiming UC. If he's privately renting then he'll be able to claim housing element of UC and he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. Check here for the amount for his area. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

To claim for this he will need his tenancy agreement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marjcolette

Good Afternoon & Welcome it’s great to see that you have already meet my good friend @poppy123456

Please please let me me know if there’s anything else that I can help you further?

@steve51
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @marjcolette and welcome to the community :) 

How are you? 

I see you've already been given some great responses above. I would advise taking a look at our benefits checker which will help you to work out what he may be entitled to.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    Hi and welcome,

He won't be able to claim housing benefit because it no longer exists as he's claiming UC. If he's privately renting then he'll be able to claim housing element of UC and he'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of local housing allowance. Check here for the amount for his area. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

To claim for this he will need his tenancy agreement.

Unless he's living in supported housing and then he'll need to claim housing benefit for help with the rent.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @marjcolette. :)
    Scope

• marjcolette
    Hi thank you for all your response very helpful,with this covid 19 My son and I cant go out and getting advice is a nightmare over the phone,answering,being on hold for so long with all due respect I cant get angry this virus has effected so many people in many diffrent ways.
    Im just really confused as his rent for a studio flat (NO bedrooms) is over £600 per month its a housing asst flat its bugging me more than him im sure its way too much as far as im aware nothing is included he has to pay electric I havent sat down with him and cant visit it him either once this virus is over I think he needs to seek advice. Stay safe everyone,
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem @marjcolette, I'm glad the community has been able to help you :) 

That does sound like a lot to pay for rent, is he living in a quite expensive part of the country?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    I'm not sure what you mean by "housing asst flat" or do you mean supported housing?
  • marjcolette
    No he lives in Baldock in hertfordshire in a housing assosation studio flat one big large room with a kitchen and bathroom as I said before he is single on UC and PIP high care low mobility.
    I live in knebworth 2 bedroom flat housing assoation property in a expensive area and my rent is not as high.
    I just cant understand why his rent is so high.
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea why his rent is so high, you'll need to speak to his landlord regarding that. he would be able to claim for the housing element of UC for help with the rent.
  • marjcolette
    Thank you poppy I will tell him and look into it.Things are so confusing
  • poppy123456
    He needs to report the changes on his journal regarding the housing element. He won't need proof because they will automatically check with his housing association.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.