I'm having trouble managing pain caused by crushed spinal cord — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm having trouble managing pain caused by crushed spinal cord

ASJ
ASJ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi, I'm new on here. I have a crushed spinal cord and like you I've had some strong pain meds stopped. The first to go was nerve block injections and like you I cried when they told me over the phone, then I asked for a repeat of morphine and was told no you're not allowed it anymore. It'm having a lot of trouble coping, knowing the pain will keep increasing and all the doctor's have said is try and move to stop muscle wastage.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @ASJ

Your post sounds like you are referring to somebody with the same problem however you have started a new post rather than replying to the original so the member may not see what you have put

Have you been referred to a pain management clinic at all maybe you can discuss this with your GP, we do have a section on here about managing pain which may be of help to you

if you want to reply to posts just scroll down to the bottom of the post and there is the comments box and then click on post reply
    #
    If you want to tag somebody in so they see your post just put the @ before their username
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @janer1967- that was me. @ASJ had replied to a comment on an older thread, so I created a new post for them so that more people would be able to see it :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tori_Scope No worries as long as more people see it
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @ASJ Did you have a think about @janer1967's suggestion about a referral to a pain management clinic?  I think it would really help as you shouldn't have to live with this amount of pain  :(

Please let us know how are you getting on.  We want to help you if we can! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ASJ, how are you doing today?

Here are some pain resources. I appreciate that they won't completely eliminate your pain and what you feel is real. However, there is some great information about managing pain which could be helpful.

Scope

• jaknit
    jaknit Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    My pain medication was reduced when I went in hospital, then increased after explaining reasons for having it, tat was 5 years ago. I know they are moving people off painkillers again but my understanding was that it was only patients without specific diagnoses eg generalised pain. Pain clinic is good advice, i think i still get pain meds because I  had pain clinic ten years ago have kept below max dose, i have had fentanyl in past but only used it short term. I was denied increasing dose, rehab exercises taking toll. i worry that new drive will get mine stopped too mine is nerve pain and nerve impingment that cant be resolved. they would not deny pain relief for toothache, i.e. nerve pain def try pain clinic, 
  • ASJ
    ASJ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I did have a chat with my GP again I'm on high dose of anti depresance and max amitriptaline. She's going to change antidepresant but first I need to come off the one I'm taking and reduce the Amitriptaline over the next 3 weeks. I was under the pain clinic but the hospital discharged me when the injections stopped and the lockdown started, they did pass me onto another company but they only offer physio which for me makes the pain worse, so I was discharged from them as well. Last year my injections were very late so I agreed to move to a private clinic as I'd get my injections quicker After what you've said I'm going to ask if I can go back to the pain clinic at the local hospital
  • jaknit
    jaknit Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    I was told to take amytryptiline, i stopped after 2 weeks because of side effects. Cognitive Behaviour Therapy combined with paon meds helps me manage. i organise activity around this, might work for you or they might have something else that suits your need, best of luck and hopefully appointment will happen soon.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ASJ, I'm glad you were able to have a chat with your GP. Your GP should also be able to refer you to the pain clinic. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.