Council Tax Reduction — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Council Tax Reduction

OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
Hi,

Not sure if I'm being daft here but I can't seem to find the answer to what seems like a simple question!

Can I find out the amount of CTR that I'd be entitled to before I move to a new place?  I've noticed a few of the places that I can now afford rent on are in band B rather than A, and would like to know exactly how much extra council tax I'd have to budget for.  I've tried the .gov site but that just directs me to the council website, and the council website just gives the option to apply for CTR, rather than 'quoting' for it.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Does zoopla show you the council tax amount? If so you might zoopla for properties in the postcode area if you know it and find out like that?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

Each council has its own council tax reduction rate its not the same everywhere so I doubt you can find this out unless you maybe give the council a call I dont know any other way to find out unless local CAB know 

O
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Although all local councils have their own rules, a benefits calculator will work out what you're entitled to. They are usually quite accurate providing you put all your details into it correctly. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=8001afbc-5279-428d-85ca-c2869218a2f3

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    Our area discounts CT by 90% 2 miles down the road a different council discounts by 70%, it can be very confusing. As poppy says you can use a benefits checker, or you can just phone the new council and ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @OverlyAnxious I got the wrong end of the stick, ooops.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    Thanks all!

Not as simple a question as I thought then.  Once again Poppy has the answer though!  :smiley:

Looks like I'd need to budget for an extra 24p per week for a Band B property in my area...think I can probably stretch to that!  :D

Works out as 90% reduction btw.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    All local councils were given extra money because of Covid19 so all those claiming council tax reduction were entitled to more reduction, which meant those people on low income meant their bill was reduced to zero, mine was. Band A in my area is usually about £10 per month for me, which includes a 25% single person discount.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    All local councils were given extra money because of Covid19 so all those claiming council tax reduction were entitled to more reduction, which meant those people on low income meant their bill was reduced to zero, mine was. Band A in my area is usually about £10 per month for me, which includes a 25% single person discount.

Yes, mine is also zero this year and as I pay monthly, I was refunded for what I'd already paid too!

The benefits checker that you linked gives the actual figure, and not the current subsidised figure, so that's a useful guide for next year and is exactly what I was after.  :)   

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.