PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Community updates

• Read over some of our recent discussions and have your say!

• Upload a new profile picture and give your profile a personal touch.

• Get the latest information on issues relating to coronavirus.

Hi, my name is helen1950! The PIP form looks complicated, could I get some advice on filling it in?

helen1950helen1950 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 13 in PIP, DLA and AA
I have been advised by my doctor doctor to fill in PIP form as I now have athritus affecting my spine.  The form looks so complicated and doctor told me to fill in carefully

Replies

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 762 Pioneering
    edited September 13
    Hello and welcome to the community @helen1950

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the PIP category

It's perfectly understandable that you'd feel a bit overwhelmed when first looking at the PIP form. Which bits of the form do you think look particularly complicated? If you expand a bit more on what you're worried about, our members will be more able to give you some specific advice :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 3,451 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 13
    Hi @helen1950 - & welcome to the community. The most important thing to remember is that PIP is about the functional problems you have with activities of daily living, &/mobility. Have a look at the link below, which shows the activities/descriptors & where points may be gained. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    For each applicable descriptor give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you faced. Why was it difficult, what happened, what, if any, were the consequences of doing/attempting it & could you do it reliably, i.e. to an acceptable standard, could you repeat the activity as often as you would normally wish, could you do it safely, did it take you a long time, etc?
    Just do a little at a time, & if you need more time, ring the DWP & ask for this....they will normally say you can have a couple more weeks. Any questions, please do ask, as there's usually someone here who can advise. Hope this helps. :) .

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 3,106 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @helen1954 Welcome to the community glad you have joined us here and you have been given some advice which I hope helps you

Just follow the form and for each

descriptor write how your condition affects you doing the task, any aids you use any support or help you need. Dont just put you cant do something explain why you cant do it

Take your time you can sometimes get help filling in the forms from CAB

Keep us updated on the outcome
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,240 Disability Gamechanger
    As well as CAB it might be worth trying welfare rights if there's one in your area.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,026 Scope community team
    Welcome to the community @helen1950! How are you feeling today?

Here is a website that breaks down all of the different PIP descriptors. This should make it a bit easier to understand and to see if you meet the criteria. 

Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member - under moderation Posts: 4,844 Disability Gamechanger
    The form may look complicated but it isn’t so much when you insert the word “reliably” into each question. That’s all you’re really being asked. Can you do activity x reliably? If not then why not and give 2 recent detailed examples. 

Reliably is defined in law. If you can do something reliably then you can do it in a reasonable time, to a reasonable standard, repeatedly and safely. If any one of this’d does not apply then you can’t do that activity. 

Also worth mentioning that whilst your doctor may have been well intentioned they will likely know zilch about PIP. Don’t worry about filling it in carefully. Just do it accurately and in detail.  
  • KittycKittyc Member Posts: 22 Connected
    Definately use your disability rights officer at your local council.  They were fabulous with me.  I also studied the descripters.  Take your time and use extra sheet to explain everything.  Good luck x
Sign in or join us to comment.