How do I help my friend with a PIP review form? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I help my friend with a PIP review form?

Bridgetty
Bridgetty Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello all,
Where do you start when completing PIP forms? For my friends review. She was knocked down to the standard last time and didn't want the stress of appealing it. She is pretty ill and I don't want to let her down. I know you have to be careful how you answer questions for someone whose illness is OK, Bad, Hospitalised.  Just writing the best days really won't help her and she has a lot of bad days at the moment. But is a very positive person. She is shielding too. Just to make life harder. I got a PIP form extension to 9th October.
Thanks
Bridgetty 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    The first thing is to treat a review just like you would a new claim, if you need more pages to do this don't forget to put name and N.I number on every page, then remember PIP isn't about your illness or condition but about how your care and or mobility needs are affected, you could give an example of when they tried to do something but couldn't and why not. Also send any letters from consultants etc that are relevant and if possible fairly recent, take time filling it out don't try and do it all in one day. If she has an extension to 9/10 she needs to get it in the post by 30/9 at the latest, don't send it recored or signed for delivery just get proof of posting from the post office.
    If she needs any more help just come back and ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bridgetty - & welcome to the community. For your friend's PIP review, this should be completed giving as much detail as in their initial PIP claim. It should show how they are on the majority of days, not, as you say, just her 'good' days. If their disability fluctuates, then it should illustrate this.
    The review form is short, so attach extra pages at the end with name & National Insurance number at the top, noting which question this is a continuation about.
    PIP is about how your disability affects you in aspects of daily living &/mobility. An understanding of the descriptors/activities may help, if they haven't come across these. Please see the following link & the notes at the end: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    For each descriptor that applies they should give a couple of recent, detailed examples of the difficulty they faced....why, & how, was it difficult, what happened, what was the consequence, if any, of this, etc.
    It's also very important to take on board the concept of could they do this 'reliably,' i.e. could they do the activity safely, to an acceptable standard, could they repeat this as often as would normally be expected, or did it take them longer than it would for someone without their disability? Do they need help to do an activity, if so, why?
    Hope this helps, but please ask any questions, as there's usually someone here who can help. :)

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Bridgetty! I've moved your post into the PIP category so that more people will be able to find and answer your post :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.