Do i need to see my doctor — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do i need to see my doctor

Options
ketokid
ketokid Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
Hi I've just been turned down for pip i only scored 2 points, I'm incontinent both ways and have had mental heath problems for years, The assessor didn't listen to anything i said during  the telephone assessment. my doctor has left the practice now he really knew about all my problems. . I've rang dwp and asked for a mandatory reconsideration. And I'm in the process of writing a letter, but I've watched a few vids on YouTube and they say a doctors letter is a must. Any info would be great thanks so much

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

A letter from a doctor isn't needed at all because they won't know exactly how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors, they will only know the basics like a diagnosis, medication etc. A diagnosis is rarely in question for any PIP claim.

What you need is anecdotal evidence from yourself. A couple of recent real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding who was with you, where you were and what exactly happened.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome sorry about your PIP application

A letter from your GP is of no benefit unless it describes how your condition affects you on a daily basis and Gp do not tend to give this level of information as they do not see you completing the tasks.

What is best is to go through the descriptors you think you should have scored points and give real examples of what happens when you try and do the task. How you do it do you need aids, or support, can you do the task if not why not

Can you do it safely and repeatedly and timely

If you need help who helps you

It can also be helpful to do a daily diary and send this and also maybe a letter from somebody who sees you daily and what help you need

Fingers crossed for the MR  there are lots of hints and tips from other members in the PIP section
  • ketokid
    ketokid Community member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    Hi thanks for info, and  good advice  rang the doctors and they said they are not doing face to face appointments at the moment anyway. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.