UC going up on 8th oct? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC going up on 8th oct?

Options
fionap20
fionap20 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited September 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi ive just heard that u.c is going up on 8th oct is this true suppose to be because of changing over from certain benefits to u.c tia

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome,

I'm not sure where you heard this from but it's not correct. UC standard allowance increased by about £90 per month due to covid19 a few months ago and will remain in place until April 2021. There's no further increases expected this year.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Thinking about this a little more, i don't suppose you read this in a newspaper did you? A couple of days ago i was reading something on my phone regarding UC increase..

The only problem here is that it's a newspaper and a lot of what's written isn't always quite as it may seem. They were talking about those that transferred from the old benefits and were claiming the severe disability premium before they transferred to UC. Some of those people may have been owed some money because of new UC regulation and a transitional support proctection. However, many of those that were owed money have received all the money that's owed to them.

The moral of this story is never trust a newspaper, especially when it comes to benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome I am sure if anyone would know this it would be Poppy must admit not heard anything myself and cant imagine it is correct with their already being a big increase already
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @fionap20! Thank you for posting your question. It looks like it's already been answered, but I've moved your post over to the Universal Credit category anyway :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • fionap20
    Options
    Yeah they had seen it somewhere its suppose to be paid from 8th oct 2020
  • poppy123456
    Options
    fionap20 said:
    Yeah they had seen it somewhere its suppose to be paid from 8th oct 2020

There are no extra payments being made in October for those claiming UC. Unfortunately, all is not what it seems with that story in the newspaper and i must admit it did make me laugh.
  • fionap20
    Options
    Thought it was to good to be true
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Those claiming UC already had an increase applied for 1 year, which is a lot more than those claiming the old legacy benefits have had... which was a big fat zero.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @fionap20 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @fionap20. As @poppy123456 mentioned, the news story on this was very misleading. 

This 'increase' is for those who lost their SDP when transferring to UC. They're currently receiving a separate payment replacing this lost income and from October this will be paid in with their UC, rather than as a separate payment. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • fionap20
    Options
    Oh ok we where receiving income support b4 being put on u.c cant remember if i got sdp 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    It would be worth checking any old paperwork you have just in case. To qualify for SDP you would have to be receiving PIP, DLA or AA (and any adults you live with also claiming one of those benefits) and no one claiming Carer's Allowance or the carer element of UC for caring for you. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • fionap20
    Options
    Thanx for info will look into that
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you weren't claiming either PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care and you didn't live alone (or be classed as living alone) then you wouldn't have been receiving the SDP. Newspapers annoy me because they never print the full story, only part of it.
  • fionap20
    Options
    Thanx for that yeah they are annoying

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.