Forgotten about — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Forgotten about

caitswildecake
caitswildecake Community member Posts: 6 Connected
I understand that due to the virus a lot of places are put under pressure to meet the social distancing criteria but am I wrong to feel angry when I see new  procedures not considering or taking into account the needs of disabled people? I’m witnessing Wheelchair areas being taped off, food courts not allowing the use of tables (i was expected to put it on my lap), tills in certain shops are too high up already and I can’t reach the area where I’m meant to slide my money under a gap at the bottom of the shield on the till,  and when asked staff to make reasonable adjustments so I can sit in a wheelchair area that was closest to the toilet that they decided to inconveniently close off they say they’re not allowed? I feel like we’re being pushed aside and forgotten about.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    @caitswildecake I think in all honesty that many people, not just disabled people are feeling excluded from society in general especially as we now face more restrictions and the possibility of a second lockdown, they are even talking about using the army now. We will get through this of that i am 100% certain.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    You're definitely not the only one to feel this way @caitswildecake. Scope have been working on a campaign called 'we won't be forgotten', and we delivered a letter with over 30,000 signatures to Boris Johnson last week.

It's a difficult time for many people, and lots of disabled people are feeling excluded and forgotten about. Thank you for sharing your experience to raise more awareness of these issues! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us and brought up such a relevant topic/

Lots of us are feeling exactly the same and it never seems that through all this the disabled have been considered, most are not in the shielding group but their care and carers have been restricted throughout and the support from friends and family limited

Fingers crossed the Scope letter can do some good
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @wildcatlady, just wanted to say welcome. You certainly are around like-minded people, thank you for sharing this with us. :)
    Scope

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Hello @caitswildecake

It is so maddening isn't it?  Frances Ryan, a disabled journalist, has written lots about this and you can find her articles on this Guardian webpage.  Keep us updated with how you get on and let us know if we can provide any particular support.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • caitswildecake
    caitswildecake Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Thanks everyone. I was really emotional after a long day. I’m upset with the restrictions and not being able to get access to certain places because of my wheelchair. I only just started to accepted that my chair was actually giving me independence but I began to feel like a burden with it again. I’m also upset how abled people are being forced to stay home and that includes key workers. The government don’t realise that the vulnerable and disabled people rely on the abled bodied people to go out to work in order to help us out. I live with chronic pain every day but I’m afraid to tell my consultant of any new symptoms just because of waiting times for referrals now and in some cases they won’t do them unless it’s an “emergency”. Now what exactly qualifies for an “emergency”? 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @caitswildecake I understand you being upset, I think we are each in our own way getting tired and emotional with how coronavirus is impacting our daily lives.

I'd urge you to tell your consultant about any new symptoms you are experiencing.  It's always best to be safe and keep on top of any changes.  

How are you today?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.