Treated unfairly — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Treated unfairly

Options
janejr
janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
I have a friend who has mental health and doesn't handle stress well at all he has self harmed and has tried to commit suicide before now. He struggle going out and can't cope with public transport. This description is how he is , he also has PTSD. He won a bid on a sheltered housing flat and went to view it telling the council yes he wanted it. He lives in a sheltered housing flat already but wanted to move as living in his current home made him unwell. He had a verbal agreement with council yesterday having said yes he wanted it . Today they called him to inform him he could not have it as he has got an ASBO against him and also there was on going disputes from his last property. Thing is he has never even had a warning letter from the council for bad behaviour and was homeless previous to this flat. He phoned the ASBO people to be told there is no ASBO for him on record. He is desperate to move he lives on the tenth floor and is isolated and alone. Where can he get help. He has a useless advocate who never gets back to him and I'm worried he can't take anymore
He has won bids on this property before only to be turned down as his paper work need to be suddenly sorted out. They then put the property back on bidding. 
Can his verbal agreement be enforced

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Hi @janejr

I'm sorry to hear about your friends situation and I hope it gets resolved soon.

Shelter are great at providing advice around housing and I would contact them in the first instance to see if the verbal agreement has any validity.  For more information on how to get in touch with them visit their 'Get help' webpage.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,053 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

I'm sorry to hear this. It's very unlikely that any verbal agreement will stand because it's just a verbal one, unless something was put in writing there's most likely not much he can do.

An ASBO can only be given by a court, although they only exist now in Scotland. I found this link with some information http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/neighbourhood_issues/antisocial_behaviour/what_to_do_about_an_asbo

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.