Sdp on esa — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sdp on esa

carolineb69
carolineb69 Community member Posts: 12 Connected

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @carolineb69 :) Did you have a question about SDP?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,335 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome @carolineb69 If you can give us some information then someone will be able to advise you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • carolineb69
    Hi.sorry about that i posted then edited and it was a blank page 
    Me and my husband both claim carers for each other.but was advised to stop claiming that and claim sdp on our esa . I dont really understand and dont want to mess things up
    Thank you
  • poppy123456
    HI,

I'm assuming you're claiming Income Related ESA as a couple, is that correct?

Do you have any other adults living with you? If you do, do they also claim a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living, DLA mid/high rate care or attendance allowance?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • carolineb69
    Hi
    Yes its income related esa and no one else lives with us 
  • poppy123456
    Then yes, you'll be eligible for the couples SDP which is £133.90 per week extra in your ESA.

Although, do be aware that NI credits is only paid to 1 person when claiming the ESA as a couple. Who receives it will depend on who's the main claimant of the ESA, so if it's yourself then you will receive them and your husband won't. At the moment with the carers allowance claim it pays class 1 NI credits for state pension for each of you because you're both claiming it individually.

If you still want to go ahead with the SDP claim then you'll both need to cancel the carers allowance claim before you can claim the SDP.
  • carolineb69
    Hi
    Thank you for your quick reply . my husband is just going throùgh his review for pip  . If he keeps his award i will do as you said.
    Thanks for your help
  • poppy123456
    You're very welcome. Good luck with the PIP review.
  • carolineb69
    Thank you 
    He had his phone assement couple days ago .so hopefully wont be too long 
  • poppy123456
    Once the report has been returned to DWP he can ring them to request a copy to be sent to him, providing you live in the UK. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Regarding the NI credits advice i gave above. It will be worth looking at both of your state pension forecasts to see how many more years you need. You can check online here https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

• carolineb69
    Thank you i will defo look into the state pension before i decide what to do .and thanks i will tell him to ring for a copy of the report in coulpe weeks 
  • carolineb69
    Hi again .my husband has claimed income related esa since having to stop working due to illness . And he has always claimed for me does this mean i will have had no NI credits for that time .up unitl us both claiming carers about a year ago .
    Its so confusing 
  • poppy123456
    Hi again .my husband has claimed income related esa since having to stop working due to illness . And he has always claimed for me does this mean i will have had no NI credits for that time .up unitl us both claiming carers about a year ago .
    Its so confusing 

Claiming ESA as couple only pays the main claimants NI credits, it doesn't pay the partner as well. So unfortunately, you're correct, your NI credits wouldn't have been paid until you started claiming the carers allowance.

If you need NI credits for your state pension you can continue claiming the carers allowance for looking after your partner so that you get the credits for yourself. Your partner can cancel their carers allowance claim for looking after you and you can claim the SDP for just yourself (single person) £66.95 per week. This will still make you better off financially then you are now. Just not quite as much as you would be if you claimed the couples SDP but at least your NI credits will continue to be paid with the carers allowance.

Hope this helps.
  • carolineb69
    Ohh thank you so much for that info.
    so i will tell him to stop carers claim  for me and claim the sdp.
    and i will carry on claiming carers and getting NI credits 
    I will do this if he keeps his award 
    Thanks again Poppy you have been very helpful
  • poppy123456
    yes perfect, that way you will still receive the NI credits. Before doing this though please have a state pension forecast for yourself to see how many more years you need for full state pension.
  • carolineb69
    Yes i will do that .i know my husbands will be ok as he has always worked up until last few years been on esa .
    Thanks again
  • carolineb69
    Hi Poppy
     i did the pension forecast .
    It says i have £143 now as it is .and to get full wich is £175 i need to pay another 7 years before 2036
    Its says i also have a cope addition of 3 per week on top .
  • poppy123456
    I have no idea what a cope addition is sorry. Whether you choose to continue with the carers allowance or stop it and claim the SDP if your partner PIP review is successful is entirely your decision.
  • carolineb69
    edited October 2020
    Cope
     its a contracted out to personal pension from what i read .i think i will carry on with the carers to make sure i get my NI credits 
    Thank you
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome. Ah yes, a lot of people cont5racted out many years ago. I think it's a wise decision to carry on with your carers allowance for the NI credits.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.