I've been told I need to wait for my PIP to come through before I can apply for ESA. What can I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been told I need to wait for my PIP to come through before I can apply for ESA. What can I do?

mu1935
mu1935 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have recently give up carer because I have become ill myself, now my income support has stopped, I have applied for pip but haven't heard from them yet, I have a 15year-old daughter, who I get child tax for, but I have no income coming in for myself, I tried to apply for esa but they told me I had to wait for my pip to come before I could apply, what should I do, im really struggling

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

PIp and esa are different benefits so it shouldn't be the case that you have to wait to apply 

Have you tried using the benefits calculator to see what you could be claiming there is one on here 

I will tag in another champion who is the best to advise you @poppy123456 can you help here 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @mu1935 and welcome to the community.

Glad you've joined us.

Further to the comment above from @janer1967, here is Scope's benefit calculator which you may find useful.

Hopefully it won't be long until you hear back about your PIP, how long has it been since you applied? Worth keeping in mind that they do have delays at the moment due to the pandemic, which won't be helping.

Again, welcome to the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome @mu1935

The reason why your Income Support has stopped is because you're no longer receiving the carers allowance, which i assume is the reason why you were claiming Income Support.

You can't apply for Income Related ESA because this no longer exists for new claims unless you're claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit, which you're not because you're not yet receiving a disability benefit.

You can apply for Universal Credit but if you do this your tax credits will end and the child elements will be paid as part of Universal Credit. If you're claiming housing benefit then this will continue for a further 2 weeks and then transfer to Universal Credit. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=d6dd73cc-d1d6-4000-af24-1e2a20ad41e7

Do be aware than UC is a monthly benefit and first payment is 5 weeks after you first claim. You can ask for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back from future payments.

Fit/.sick notes will also be needed from your GP to be able to start the limited capability for work process off under UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mu1935 :) I'm sorry you've been unwell, and that you're struggling at the moment. 

How are you doing today? Has the above advice helped? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.