DLA when applying for UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA when applying for UC

jaktag
jaktag Community member Posts: 19 Courageous
Hi can you please tell me if when you apply for UC after been on IS if you get the DLA paid as a seperate benefit still or will it be stopped and calculated in to the UC claim.My daughter is just changing from IS to UC after a change in circumstances and is confuse,she gets DLA for her autistic 8 yr old and can not wotk out if the DLA will still be paid as normal.Thank you.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi as far as I know DLA is a completely separate benefit and wont be affected at all 

Hopefully other members will confirm this too 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Yes, DLA isn't part of UC and will continue to be paid as normal. Your daughter needs to make sure she tells them that she's caring for her child and then the carers element will be added to her UC entitlement.
    She will also be entitled to the disabled child element of UC, what rate she's entitled to will depend on what DLA award her child has.

Also if she's currently claiming tax credits then do be aware that this will stop if she applies for UC.
    If she's claiming housing benefit for help with any rent then this will continue for 2 weeks and then transfer to UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jaktag
    Thanks very much will tell her.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Let us know if there's anything else you need help with @jaktag :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jaktag
    Will do thanks appreciate it, :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    She should also use a benefits calculator to check what she maybe entitled to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.