LCWRA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA

pjgumna
pjgumna Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi
I had a letter attached to my journal awarding me the LCWRA element yesterday. I started submitting fit notes on the 31st August 2019. My telephone assessment for this award was on Monday so they were quick with the decision, a matter of just 4 days. My assessment periods are from the 16th to the 15th of each period. 
I have two questions to ask. If i have any backdated payments when do they begin from? Also i have overpayments and want to know if i have any backdated payments will the DWP take it off me as overpayments?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

That's great news. Your LCWRA payments will be backdated to January 2020. Yes, they can take the backdated money to pay back any debt you have.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pjgumna
    Hi thankyou for your reply. I made a mistake in my post. I started submitting fit notes on December 31st not August.  So we are looking at April or May as backdated payments? Perhaps its a good thing that they will deduct any debt as I will have a clean slate so to speak. Also how much is awarded for LCWRA element please?
    I also took the self PIP assessment and my answers were the exact same as what i put on my UC50 form. The result was that i passed both elements of PIP so is it a good idea to apply for that to
    Thanks in advance

• poppy123456
    edited October 2020
    There's a 3 full months waiting period for the LCWRA and then it's paid from the 4th month. Your waiting period is as follows.
    January 16th to February 15th... 1 month
    Feb 16th to March 15th ... 2 months
    March 16th to April 15th 3 months.

LCWRA paid from your May payments and it's an extra £341.92 per month.

PIP, is completely different to LCWRA and has very different criteria. Claiming LCWRA doesn't mean you'll automatically be awarded PIP. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

When doing the PIP self test it's very easy to over score yourself if you don't fully understand the descriptors and what they mean. Just like it's very easy to underscore yourself.

For a standard award of PIP you need to score between 8 and 11 points. For an Enhanced award you need to score at least 12 points. There's 2 parts to PIP, daily living and mobility.

If you do apply when filling out the forms you need to add as much relevant information as possible about how your conditions affect you. Then add a couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that acvtivity for each descriptor that applies to you, stating who was with you, where you were and exactly what happened.

A successful claim can potentially take several months, sometimes longer.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • pjgumna
    Hi thanks for your useful reply.  I put the exact same answers to the self PIP test as my work capability application and i passed.  So i didn't overscore myself. So perhaps its worth applying for as i have nothing to lose.
  • pjgumna
    Hi also if there are any backdated payments are they paid separately? 
    Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Without fully understanding all the PIP criteria and what the decriptors mean then it's very very easy to over score and even underscore. Very few people completely understand the descriptors and what they mean.

Not sure what you mean by "passed" you need to score enough of points in the descriptors for an overall score to be awarded. There's 2 parts, daily living and mobility. The daily living descriptors are added together separate to the mobility part.

Do you mean are payments backdated? yes of course, if you are successfully awarded. It's backdated to the date you rang to start your claim. PIP isn't part of UC and is paid separately.

Do also be aware that PIP isn't about not being able to work, like the work capability assessment. People work and claim PIP.

• pjgumna
    Thankyou for your reply. Sorry I hadn't made it clear about backdated payments. I meant are backdated payments of LCWRA paid separately or with my next UC payment. I understood about the descriptors of PIP, it was what i took the self test on, the descriptors. 
  • poppy123456
    Usually they are paid separately.

Please have a read of the link i posted above regarding the PIP. The PIP self test is terrible, which is why i never use that link when advising others here. It gives no information at all regarding the descriptors. All it does is ask you very simple questions.

Here's a sample of the P{IP2 form "how your disability affects you" and this is form you'll be sent once you ring to start your claim. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/713118/pip2-how-your-disability-affects-you-form.pdf

• pjgumna
    Thanks for all the advice and links. I will read them and decide what to do. My work coach has suggested before to apply for PIP when i asked about any help with mental health but i didn't go forward with it. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.