Housing — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing

kebab
kebab Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Can anyone give advise about finding appropriate  accommodation?My daughter an I are on the housing list as our 3 bed home is no longer fit for purpose.My daughter has cp and autism and a learning disability. Although we are on the housing list and have been for 2 yrs we need a 2 bed bungalow and have given all the info they need but theres nothing in the town we live in only villages that arnt suitable for our situation.My daughter is due to have op op as soon as possible  which  we will then need a bungalow..any tips or advise on how to push this further.Thank you

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Have you had a needs assessment by OH as they can often suggest recommended housing and this could move you into a higher priority 

However if there are no suitable places available there isnt much you can do 

I suggest you talk to shelter organisation who may be able to offer some advice 
  • kebab
    I think I'm on priority and have carers first helping and had adaptations done to the house but need a bungalow. I'll try shelter thanks
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Bungalows are extremely difficult to find and this is most areas. I don't think you will be able to do anything to push it if there's no bungalows available in your choice of area. You may have no other option but to change your area or add more areas and even then it will be difficult to find a bungalow.

Have you thought about a ground floor flat? You'll likely have more option this way.

As you are not homeless i'm not sure what advice shelter will be able to offer at this stage.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kebab
    Ground floor flats are a no go as my daughter also has autism we are already having to deal with anti social behaviour  and in a flat you have others above you and beside you
  • poppy123456
    I don't have any other advice for you. I do hope you find something suitable soon though.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This does sound like a tricky situation @kebab. Could you perhaps try and look for a house that has the option for a downstairs room to become a bedroom, if it isn't already? If there was a bathroom downstairs, that would mean your daughter could perhaps stay in the downstairs bedroom? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • kebab
    We have discussed this will the relevant people theres nowhere for a downstairs bathroom and she wouldn't sleep downstairs on her own  she would panic .we could have the bathroom adapted but if we move within 5 yrs of it being installed I would have to pay all the money bk
  • poppy123456
    Yes, with a disabled facilities grant there's a clause if you move within a certain time. With such a shortage of bungalows across most of the country you may have no option but to change your thoughts. Having a bathroom adapted maybe your only option.

There's another thread here on the forum somewhere and this member is also looking for a bungalow but is having the same problem as you are, there isn't anything available. If i find the thread i'll post a link to it.
  • kebab
  • poppy123456
  • kebab
    Thank you.ive got some pointers from reading it to try

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.