Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

Telephone tribunal called over an hour late and went ahead without me

rednaxrednax Member Posts: 23 Listener
edited October 14 in Universal Credit
My telephone tribunal was arranged for yesterday morning but they did not call and after an hour I gave up. They then called three times less than ten minutes later while I was showering, and now I'm advised that the hearing went ahead without me, and I must wait upwards of a week to find out the result in the post. 

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm disappointed that they were over an hour late in calling and went ahead anyway, and that I'm now going to have to wait a week to find out the result. 

Replies

• janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 4,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I am sorry to hear about your missed tribunal and understand your frustration 

On the positive it might be they had enough info to make a decision 

Not all hearings give am immediate result so even attending some people have to wait for the decision 

Fingers crossed you get a good outcome let us know how you get on 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,617 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Very much like a face to face hearing or any other appointment really, they can't always be exactly to time, hearings before you may have run over or there could have been other reasons why they were late ringing you.

It happens a lot where they don't give the decision on the day of the hearing, especially with telephone hearings. They will send you a decision letter in th epost but it can take up to 3 weeks to receive this.

Fingers crossed you're worrying about nothing and the decision was very straight forward, which is why they went ahead without you. I'mpossible to predict anything at this stage.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • rednaxrednax Member Posts: 23 Listener
    janer1967 said:
    Hi I am sorry to hear about your missed tribunal and understand your frustration 

On the positive it might be they had enough info to make a decision 

Not all hearings give am immediate result so even attending some people have to wait for the decision 

Fingers crossed you get a good outcome let us know how you get on 
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I had an email this morning saying that a decision letter has now been sent.  I was trying unsuccessfully to contact them yesterday and not had any response yet. I'm curious to see if anyone else has experienced similar in failing to contact when they said they would. It was an mid morning appointment so I can only assume that the appeal before me had overshot by more than an hour. 
    Hi,

Very much like a face to face hearing or any other appointment really, they can't always be exactly to time, hearings before you may have run over or there could have been other reasons why they were late ringing you.

It happens a lot where they don't give the decision on the day of the hearing, especially with telephone hearings. They will send you a decision letter in th epost but it can take up to 3 weeks to receive this.

Fingers crossed you're worrying about nothing and the decision was very straight forward, which is why they went ahead without you. I'mpossible to predict anything at this stage.
    Thank you for responding.
    I did send some substantial info to them in advance across 10 A4 pages in addition to what the DWP had already have records of, but also found that the DWP info packet sent to me before hand had a number of factual errors and contradicted itself in numerous places, and some outright false statements. I had intended on highlighting those and just hope the tribunal were able to work those out for themselves!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,617 Disability Gamechanger
    All you can do is wait for the decision now, Although pointing out the errors/contradictions in the assessment report is really not advised for a Tribunal because they won't appreciate any of that.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    All you can do is wait for the decision now, Although pointing out the errors/contradictions in the assessment report is really not advised for a Tribunal because they won't appreciate any of that.
    Well the DWP said I hadn't reported anything about a condition I suffer from and that they consider it new information, however it was detailed in all of my letters to the DWP, all of my fit notes, in my mandatory reconsideration, verbally at the health assessment and my ongoing prescription which I have been taking for two decades, as well as a 2 month diary I furnished them with. How the DWP can then state I've not mentioned it before is outrageous, it formed the basis of my claim from day one!
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Administrator Posts: 10,643 Scope community team
    This must have been frustrating @rednax! I hope you don't have to wait too long and that it's a positive result. :) 
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • Martin2019Martin2019 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi I wish you luck and I hope it is good news , please share with us your result ! How long did you wait for your tribunal date ? When did you appeal? I appealed in March this year and still waiting for my hearing 
    Hi I wish you luck and I hope it is good news , please share with us your result ! How long did you wait for your tribunal date ? When did you appeal? I appealed in March this year and still waiting for my hearing 
    It was the end of March when I sent the appeal form to the DWP. I was notified about the hearing mid September, 

Your appeal is for a PIP claim, this thread is about the work capability assessment. Backlogs and waiting times will be different depending on where in the country you are.
    Tribunal, not WCA. 
    rednax said:
    Tribunal, not WCA. 

Yes i know that but it was for limited capability for work, which is the WCA. Martin's Tribunal is for PIP, 2 totally different benefits.
  • Martin2019Martin2019 Member Posts: 25 Connected
    Ah sorry for hijacking the thread I miss read - probably another year for my pip tribunal then 
Sign in or join us to comment.