PIP telephone assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP telephone assessment

sahra50
sahra50 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
edited October 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi,
I have a PIP telephone assessment tomorrow and I'm feeling very anxious about it. I'm worried I won't be able to put across how my Illness effects me. I have been treated for anxiety and depression for 26 years. Although with support from MIND I requested and bagered my GP for a mental health assessment due to periods of extreme highs and lows and being on so many antidepressants I've made my way through the alphabet. I had an assessment via CARS just the other day and the assessor assured me an MDT would discuss the support I needed. One thing mention was a mood stabilizer.
I haven't been able to send any info via post for my PIP claim. How do I get this all across verbally? I'm panicking because of my illness I dont go out, get dressed if I have to go out it's by taxi

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sahra50! Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the PIP category. 

Many people feel anxious before their assessments, so you're definitely not alone in feeling the way you do. Do you think it'd help if you made some notes about how your illness affects you, which you could keep with you tomorrow? Would that help you worry less about forgetting something important? I believe you can also have someone else present with you during the telephone assessment. Is that a possibility for you, and would it put you more at ease? 

I'm sure others with personal experience will have some more advice for you :) We're all wishing you the very best of luck for tomorrow. Please do let us know how it goes.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

The time to give as much relevant information about how your conditions affect you was when you filled out the form. When you say you haven't sent any info by post do you mean evidence? If so then medical evidence is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and mostly medical evidence doesn't state this, it only states the basics like diagnosis, medication etc.

During the assessment there's never usually enough of time to go into a huge amount of detail, it's just for extra information they need. You'll need to verify what you wrote in the form as well as any other information they ask so if you kept a copy io'd advise you to have a read of that before the assessment. What they ask you will depend on how your conditions affect you.

Having someone with you during the call will help with anxiety and you'll be able to put the phone onto loud speaker, so if you have someone to ask then i'd advise you to do that.

Once the assessment is complete wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anxiousbird
    anxiousbird Community member Posts: 162 Pioneering
    Hi @sahra50
    I hope your assessment goes well. Best of luck! :) I have also posted my pip form just today and I have the same sort of mental health issues. I can understand how you must be feeling! I really hope you’re able to get things across well. Please keep us updated! 
  • sahra50
    sahra50 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    I managed to make some notes an had my form filled over the phone after the initial one. My circumstances changed in relation to meds an I I formed the DWP of the changes. I'm sorry but I feel like my brain doesn't work properly, I dont seem to take information. I don't think I'll be able to explain myself without going into a pool of despair again. I know I will be worrying that the assessor will not believe me, an I won't get the help and support I need.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sahra50 - all you can do is your best. If you have difficulty explaining anything, then that just shows the problems you have.
    You will just be asked about your initial PIP claim form. If you can give a couple of examples for each activity about the problems you have, that is all that is needed. Try to say why doing/attempting an activity you're asked about is difficult & how it left you feeling afterwards, or exactly why you couldn't do it.
    With your assessment, just take your time, & ask them to repeat any question you're unsure about. You can do this. PIP phone assessments are also more favourable to the claimant just now. Just say how things are for you. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sahra50 Welcome to the community hope the info helped

How did the assessment go
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sahra50, just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.