Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Keep on top of what's being talked about in our recent discussions and have your say!

ESA TO PIP?

is there any way of applying for pip if you are receiving ESA?

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,510 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 15
    Hi,

You apply for PIP in the same way as everyone else by ringing the claims line to start off your application. Claiming ESA has nothing to do with a PIP claim because they are 2 completely different benefits, with totally different criteria.

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, or your ability to work. It's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 4,597 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Maxinus - as Poppy has said, you can apply for PIP. As well as looking at the link given, please have a look at the descriptors/activities that are looked at concerning daily living &/mobility with PIP. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf
    This may help you decide about applying. As Poppy importantly mentions, PIP is about any problems you face with these activities, rather than any diagnosis, etc.
    Please do say if you have any questions after looking at the links given. :)
  • MaxinusMaxinus Member Posts: 37 Connected
    I didn’t mention, but this is for my husband and he receives contribution based esa as he was self employed, does that make a difference?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 20,510 Disability Gamechanger
    No, not at all. They are 2 completely different benefits.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 4,515 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi glad you have joined us and glad you have been given helpful advice which answers your questions

Come back if you have any questions about the PIP application process
  • MaxinusMaxinus Member Posts: 37 Connected
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Hope the above information has been helpful for you @Maxinus :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.