Hi, my name is Ash80! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Ash80!

Ash80
Ash80 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
New here, have a 14 year old, who was diagnosed with ASD last year (as we had reached crisis point).
Looking for advice from the super members here,  Daughter suffers from chronic boredom & isolation. (Has no friends), and looking for some Girls Groups/clubs/workshops for her.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Have you google searched your local area to see what's available? Although due to Covid there maybe very little going on at the moment but this will depend on where you are in the country, as all areas have different rules. Some are worse than others.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ash80
    Hello, can't find much in my area, hence looking around for ideas,
    Thanks..
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ash80 and welcome to our online community  :)

I used to volunteer with the Girl Guides as a trainee leader and they were brilliant with accommodating all girls different needs and personalities, so that could be worth exploring.  For more information on groups in your area, visit the Girlguiding website.  

The National Autistic Society also has a service directory where you can find support for adolescents across the UK.  

We could also help find her something more interest-specific if you let us know what hobbies she has and what she likes doing.  It must be tough for her being bored but we will get there.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ash80 - & welcome to the community from me too. It must be terribly difficult for young people, especially at this time. I do hope the info given above will be useful, but do let us know how you & your daughter are getting on.
    There's also Autism Alliance which shows some local support available. Please see: https://www.autism-alliance.org.uk/our-members/  & this one I've seen mentioned, but possibly not your area. Please see: https://sparklesheffield.co.uk/  :)

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Ash80 :) I can imagine the boredom and isolation must be difficult for both you and your daughter. I hope the above advice has given you some ideas? Have you had a chance to look for groups local to you? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ash80
    Hello, 
    Unfortunately nothing around our area...so still struggling to find something relevant for my daughter, such a struggle, 
    Thanks,
    Ayesha
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I'm sorry you haven't been able to find anything @Ash80. Have you checked your local council's website, or contacted any local charities?

It's also worth bearing in mind that many activities are taking place digitally and remotely at the moment. Although this means your daughter wouldn't be interacting with people face to face, it could open up more opportunities for her as your location would no longer be an issue. For example, I know lots of people have been doing virtual choirs over video call. Is that something that might interest her? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.