are these people medically qualified ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

are these people medically qualified ?

Options
87878amy
87878amy Community member Posts: 2 Listener

hi there, i just wanted to ask if anyone knows if the pip home visits are carried out by medically qualified people as i do not believe a qualified person would have said i can manage most of the daily living questions with 12 conditions that my medical records show and do they bother to find out what the symptoms of conditions are?

also, can i request a copy of my answers i gave to the questions on the form as on the manditory reconsideration letter they sent me, they have said i could only walk 1 meter at first then 2 months later they have said 20 meters. seems strange to me. i have taken the pip test over and over just to see what points i should get and every time it is 35 - 14 for mobility and 21 daily living. not 8 daily living they awarded and 12 mobility. 

has anyone had this kind of nonsense to be in a position to offer me some advice as to what i should do.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

They do not need to be medically qualified in any specific condition because the assessment is not a medical.

It's not their responsibility to "find out" what the symptoms are of anyones conditions. It's your responsibility to tell them how your conditions affect you against the PIP descriptors. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Oh dear, it's the PIP self test again, this is the reason why i almost never post this as a link here on the community because unless you fully understand the criteria for PIP then this test is of no use at all and very few people fully understand what the descriptors mean. It's very very easy to over score yourself on the PIP self test, likewise it's easy to underscore yourself.

I note that you scored 12 points for mobility which is Enhanced mobility so it doesn't matter how many more points you score after those 12 points you can't be awarded anything higher here.

For the daily living part then if you scored 8 points, you need another 4 points for the Enhanced daily living.

Have you requested the Mandatory Reconsideration?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • macatac
    macatac Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    The person who carried out my assessment for pip was a occupational therapist. After the assessment my pip mobility was reduced from enhanced rate to standard rate. My tribunal is in November and will take place by telephone. Daily living was not awarded. My claim was due to both physical and mental health
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm confused you said in post 1 that you were awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility, now you say DL was not awarded? which is it?
    If its as you said in post #1 the best you can hope for is a change to DL.
    It really doesn't matter who did/does the assessment all they do is ask questions based on what the computer tells them to ask, to be honest all sorts of people do assessments.
    Did you photo copy your application or the MR forms?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I'm confused you said in post 1 that you were awarded standard daily living and enhanced mobility, now you say DL was not awarded? which is it?
    Post #1 and #3 are different members.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.