PIP and working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and working

Amiga1
Amiga1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi,
I am trying to help my friend who suffered a stroke 4.5 years ago. We are both confused by the PIP rules about work. Is she allowed to work? If so is there any limit on what she can earn? Will it affect her PIP if she does? 
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amiga1 - & welcome to the community. Thank you for joining & trying to help your friend. PIP is based upon activities/descriptors concerned with activities of daily living &/mobility.
    It is not means tested, so any earnings would not be taken into consideration. There are no 'rules' about work. However, depending on what sort of work your friend does, sometimes that can appear contradictory to the activities that may have been said to be difficult.
    I don't know what stage your friend is at, whether considering to claim PIP, or perhaps they may have already done so. It would be useful if you would say in order to get the best advice from some of our members.
    For now I'd suggest you show your friend the following list of activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Scores-for-PIP-Descriptors-2020.pdf   & read right through to the notes at the end. Hope this may help. :)

• Amiga1
    Thank you for your prompt reply. 

Liz has been claiming PIP for several years. She’s looking to make simple suncatcher crystals that she could sell at a local craft fair once a month. This is more a confidence builder than profit making. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome @Amiga1 - any profit she makes doesn't matter one bit, tho I'm sure it would be most welcome! It's great she's doing this, & all credit to her.....I hope it goes well.
    It might happen that when she next has a PIP review, questions may be asked if she does any work, so just to be aware of this, but people do work & claim PIP.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Although it doesn't affect the PIP it may affect any other benefits she maybe claiming.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Amiga1
    @chiarieds Headway helps her with her PIP assessments etc but I know this was troubling her. I’ve linked her to this thread so hopefully she’ll take some reassurance from it. 
    Thanks again. 
  • Amiga1
    HI and welcome,

Although it doesn't affect the PIP it may affect any other benefits she maybe claiming.
    Thank you @p@poppy123456
    We’re taking it one step at a time so hopefully she won’t fall fowl of the rules. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    What other benefits does she claim?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    It might help us to give better advice if we knew all the benefits your friend is getting as some might be affected by working although as mentioned it won't affect PIP.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Amiga1
    I’ll need to check, I’m more confused about what she gets than she is! I’ll speak to her tomorrow. 
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @Amiga1 Welcome to the community.  I received DLA when I was working and now I am not working I have transferred to PIP.

The only problem I can think of is if your friend has been assed for a Work Capability Assessment meaning they have limited capacity to do any work.  By what you say it is more a hobby and does not require much actual work to produce or grow, the crystals.  If they get Uniersal Credit any earnings could affect that.

I think from what I have read all is fine and good luck with the project.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.