Entitlement to grants — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Entitlement to grants

Options
Whitestuff
Whitestuff Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi i am new here. I was just wondering if I would be entitled to a grant to have a summer house put in my back garden I will explain why I am asking this.  I have spent the last 14 years in and out of hospital because of anorexia I have three teenagers, I have recently spent two years in supportive accomadation receiving 24 hours support, and in December last year I took the next step in moving into my own flat and seeing my family in small periods of time.  I am now slowly transitioning to move home fulltime, this will be a very challenging time for me and my family but a friend of mine mentioned she knows someone who received a grant for a summer house. I will use this as a quiet place to be able to shut away and still have my SAFE place where I can stay ontop of my mental health and feel like I have somewhere safe and I can call my own. If you could sign post me in the rights direction for help finacially towards this I would be most grateful.

Kind Regards
Whitestuff

Comments

• Whitestuff
    Options
    I apologise if I have done this incorrectly
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Whitestuff first of all well done you in making progress I know how hard it can be as our daughter suffered from anorexia from the age of 15 and 17 years later still struggles to maintain a healthy weight. I'm not aware of any such grants and would suggest you speak to your friend and find out where their friend got such a grant.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Whitestuff
    Options
    Thank you so much woodbine, I am by no means through the woods yet but i am so so much better than i was and I am planning to stay that way, hopefully which is why I am looking into trying to get funding for a safe space for me. I am sorry to hear about your daughter, she is very lucky to have you supporting her that is always the key to recovery not being on your own xxx
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,041 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

I'm not aware of any grants for this either. Maybe it was a loan that this person received, rather than a grant?

Could you maybe have a room in your flat that you could make really nice so that you could use this as your safe place?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi & welcome @Whitestuff - thank you for joining, & of course you haven't done anything incorrectly. I'm sorry I don't have an an answer, but can appreciate how much having your own separate, safe space would be so helpful in helping you move home full-time.
    You might get advice from a charity concerned with your disorder, especially if they have some local support. There's a charity I know of that does help people, but their resources may be limited due to all the help people have needed recently with the pandemic. Please see: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/   & their 'Search for a Grant' link.
    Other members may know more, & I hope you get the help you need. :)

• Whitestuff
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone its nice to have people who are wanting to help even though I don't know any of you i appreciate you spending the time to read and advise me on my situation it means a lot so thank you 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.