The person I care for has died — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The person I care for has died

xxxcatxxx
xxxcatxxx Community member Posts: 4 Connected
As the title says, I am currently claiming carers allowance for a neighbour but she unfortunately passed away last week. I tried to use the online form to notify she has passed away but it just try’s to prompt me to us the service to report the death. This obviously isn’t my responsibility as her family would have done this. Shall I just wait and let the claim close down once DWP are informed of her death? Or am I best phoning? 
I also read about still being paid for 8 weeks after the death but not sure if I’m entitled to this as the claim was closed in July but then restarted the day after so may not class as continued claim?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    You should inform the carers allowance unit that you no longer carer as the person has died, you should get the 8 week run on although I'm not sure if a one day break will matter, I suspect not.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Just to add my condolences @xxxcatxxx I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  Please let us know if you need any more support.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • xxxcatxxx
    woodbine said:
    You should inform the carers allowance unit that you no longer carer as the person has died, you should get the 8 week run on although I'm not sure if a one day break will matter, I suspect not.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ll try to report it online again, if not I’ll give them a call.
    Thanks 
  • xxxcatxxx
    Just to add my condolences @xxxcatxxx I'm sorry to hear about your loss.  Please let us know if you need any more support.
    Thanks for your reply. It’s been an awful week ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Sorry for your loss. You should ring them to report the changes. What other benefits you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. If you're claiming Income Support along with the carers allowance then once this ends you need to look at claiming Universal Credit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • xxxcatxxx
    Hi,

Sorry for your loss. You should ring them to report the changes. What other benefits you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. If you're claiming Income Support along with the carers allowance then once this ends you need to look at claiming Universal Credit.
    Thanks poppy. I’m already on UC so we should get a higher amount now that the carers won’t be deducted 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,322 Disability Gamechanger
    No problem. Yes, your UC will increse slightly but your claimant commitments may also change now depending on circumstances of course.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.