Persistent pain and language disorder — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Persistent pain and language disorder

Options
Marie88
Marie88 Community member Posts: 114 Courageous
edited November 2020 in Work and employment

Hi, I joined last week but didn’t properly introduce myself at the time as I was feeling quite stressed. I have been suffering from persistent back and pelvic pain and fatigue for over ten years, which has gradually got worse over time. I am also dyslexic and have what I think is expressive language disorder and slow processing speed.  Because of my pain and language disorder I find it really hard to find suitable work that I can actually do.  I am unable to do any physical work or stand for long periods of time and I struggle with office/admin work that involves writing emails, letters, maths etc.

Until March this year I was working in a reception role which I’d been in for six years. I was working with a family member who trained me and was very patient with me. The company knew about my learning difficulties and were very understanding and I had support from other colleagues if I was struggling. The job also allowed me to sit all day, but I could stand too if I needed to. So it was great because I didn’t have pain flare ups and I had support in work. I believe I wouldn’t have this support in another similar role, as I know it was because of working with my family member that I was able to do the job. Because of Covid I haven’t worked since March, my furlough will finish this month and I don’t think they will need me back until at least Spring, if at all.

Im really worried about finding another job and what I can actually do, I feel so stuck. I tried a call centre job in the past which I was dismissed from because I couldn’t keep up with the training and I had a sales assistant job that caused me so much pain. I’m just not sure what I’m going to do and it’s making me feel so stressed and anxious.

I joined the community to chat to people and also try and get some advice for finding a new job and how to talk to potential employers about my pain and language disorder. 

Tagged:

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Marie88 :) It's nice to find out a bit more about you. I'm sorry that you're going through a difficult time, but hopefully we can help.

I think that one of our other users mentioned Support to Work to you last time. Have you been in touch with them? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Marie88

Hope you're well today and thanks for starting the discussion :) 

You say that you haven't worked since March due to furlough, and that it will end this month, when will you find out if they will need you back and when that might be? It must be hard not knowing, in the best case scenario they will have you back and that will ease some of your worries I'm sure.

With any employer, present or future, it's always best to discuss potential reasonable adjustments that could be made, so that you find it easier to do your job to the best of your ability, because you have skills and plenty to offer, it's about breaking down those barriers that can be posed by things like your pain and language issues.

Have you received any help from your GP or a pain clinic for your persistent pain?

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.