Disabled people
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Does anyone have any advice on there experience of managing diabetes and mental health disorder?

earthchild23earthchild23 Member Posts: 129 Pioneering
edited November 12 in Disabled people
Hi I’ve just found out I am Type 2 diabetic and want to know if anyone else has this alongside mental health or any other illness and how they find it having to cope, I am awaiting a appointment in week to get advice from GP Nurse. I’ve been told so far to exercise to shift weight and new diet but I find my medication side effects it’s weight gain and I’m also having issues with hormones. (I’ve literally gone from 14 to 17 stone in just 2020 it’s really bad 😔) and affecting not just my mental outlook but health as I’m now diabetic but I have been told it can be reversed, I just want to know what I could do, from those with experience. Thanks 🥰

Replies

• Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,916 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @earthchild23

Just to let you know we haven't forgotten about you and I'm sorry you haven't received any replies as of yet.  I've marked your post as unanswered and hopefully someone knowledgeable will pop along soon!

In the meantime, I wondered whether you had visited the Diabetes UK website and in particular, this webpage called 'I have type 2 diabetes - what can I eat?'.  This might be a good starting point for thinking about what to include in your diet.  How have you been getting on?
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 1,639 Disability Gamechanger
    I have had type 2 for 10 years now and its reasonably well controlled with medication and to be honest its not high on my priority list when it comes to health issues, when i was first diagnosed I stopped eating most of the things I enjoyed and lost 3 stone but my blood sugar count didn't alter that much so now I eat what I want when I want and sod it.
  • earthchild23earthchild23 Member Posts: 129 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope and @woodbine thank you for the replies. yes I’ve spoken with a nurse today that’s told me I have a foot test and eye screen to monitor the health I told them about the pins and needles numbeness so I don’t know if it’s all related. 
    Tbh I’m scared as my late step grandad was diabetic and had amputations and I’ve watched him most of my young life on loads of medication and I’m already on enough with mental illnesses.  

Yes I have been told to seek some advice from the diabetes uk and referred to my local wellness service to look at controlling my weight and overall well-being. 

@woodbine, yes hopefully I will be able to control it via diet at first then be able to eat what I like in future. 

Thank you for feedback
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 5,227 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi I have had diabetes for over 30 years and it really has taken its toll on me leading to amputation and sight loss

I didnt control it for years and this has had a big impact so I wouid advise to get it under control changing diet and taking meds prescribed and testing everyday  

You should have regular checks with a diabetic nurse and an annual eye test 

Try and lose weight and remember it is about carbs you eat as well as sugar 

My consultant told me that having it for such a long period is he main reason for all the side effects as type 2 is usually brought on in older people I was only in my twenties but I was obese at this time which is a big factor

Happy to discuss anything with you  
    Hi @janer1967
    Thankyou for your honest advice. 
    I am only 26 going 27. And I’m 17st 8lbs abs tall tbh my weight has increased massively this year I do blame my self but I know social factors such as lockdown haven’t helped so yea I’m classed as obese too . 

If I am honest I am scared @janer1967 so any honest advice would be great, as I don’t want to have amputations and die from it like my late grandad. You know I’m already having this pins and needles with numbness in legs and feet so I’m worried about that too if that’s a sign. 

Yeah so the nurse said I’d need annual checks so I hope they go well. 
    I will do my best to lose weight I currently have a exercise game for Nintendo that I’m going to try and do daily and make up a good food plan. 

Please message me with any other advice you have it is appreciated 😊
    Hi again the numbness can be down to diabetes called peripheral neuropathy due to nerves it can be medicated I take this 

Make sure you never go bare foot anywhere and check your feet for cuts etc and take care cutting for nails.  You can easily get infected cuts on your feet and this is where problems start resulting in amputations 

It is advisable to visit a podiatrist if you have any concerns 

Try not to be alarmed lots people live with it and have no issues but you must do all you can to control it . Your nurse should give good advice 
    Thanks again @janer1967 I will look up peripheral neuropathy as I’m being sent for a nerve conduction test my assessment with my GP did come back as most of issues being down my right side of body and both feet. So that does give some insight. 

I do have a lady who comes to my house to do my manicure (as I nail bite till they bleed with anxiety and the gel stops me from doing it) and she does pedicure on toe nails anyways so I’ll tell her to take care extra care with it. But I guess podiatrist is more better. 
    Yes my nurse said I’ll be seeing her more regularly now so hopefully I’ll be advised as I get on. 
    Thank you again 🙂
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 5,286 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @earthchild23 - you have received excellent advice from Jane who has diabetes. If I can just add one thing.....sometimes something so simple as using a smaller plate than normal to reduce the amount of food you eat may also help you lose weight. Eat regularly, but cut out any 'snacks.' As Jane says, you need to get this under control, & I'm sure you will. Everyone here will also support you along the way too. Just to add, I'm on meds for pain that normally mean you put on weight; my weight has barely changed in the past 8 years I've been on them, but I do think about what I eat, & the amount. You can do this. :)
    Hi @chiarieds yes I’ve been given great advice indeed.
    yes I’ve thought about that doing portion sizes via the serving spoon. And also cutting down on bread, pasta, rice and meats.

yes I’ll have three meals a day and if I do fancy a snack I’ll have a piece of fruit. 
    Yes I’ll keep you all updated on here with how I do, wish me luck 🙂
    Update..
    so keeping track of the diet changes on top of the pains and numbness and mental health has been exhausting because at times I’m not wanting to eat and then I’m picking or wanting to snack. I hate the idea of having to deal with people in the street so in honesty I’ve avoided the walks even though I know thy will help the pains numbness and weight loss I’ve only changed what I’ve been eating this planned up by my bf/partner but he’s gone back to his place after we had a bit of a talking and he feels fed up with having to support me, it’s awful feeling like I’m alone and my mum she’s got a disability too so we have to literally help one another then I have my son with his disability it’s all getting on top of me but I’m at that point now where I feel I’m trying my best but mental health then comes in and takes over and I’m worried because I’m at that point im satisfied with not being here I’ve been trying to keep occupied with reading ect but I’ve lost all motivation, I don’t know what to do I’ve come on here to vent but it a cry fr help but at same time I just want alone time. Does anyone else feel like they are caged in and see no way out 
  • CressCress Member Posts: 276 Pioneering
    Yes...I dont want to be here, but dont want to fo die.
    Stuck in some never ending purgatory.
    My psychiatrist talks to me about mindfulness and grounding and I nod and agree but I cant do it.
    I feel like I'm always sabotaging my own recovery because of that but, I cant motivate myself.
    I feel like life is some party I was uninvited to and everyone cant wait for me to leave...
    I hate myself for not getting better or getting out of the way.
    Depression and anxiety makes me self obsessed....constant negative thoughts and just one more reason to hate myself.
    I responded to your post because so much of it echoes how I feel, I wish I could tell you something helpful...but other then saying yes, I feel that way too...is all I've got.
    Take care.
    Hello @Cress
    I totally know what you mean it all gets too much and feels like life’s closing in or in my experience I feel like I wasn’t supposed to be even born because nothing fits right with me I see I’m different and see when people see it. I’m also been hearing distant chatter noises which is when my psychosis starts from mood changes as my psychiatrist says but then today I’ll have a high moment I have Emotional Unstable Personality Disorder also known as BPD with OCD so the anxiety and depression and psychosis are like it’s family members in my head waiting to nag. I Understand the obsessive thoughts in my brief CBT I was told to tune it into something else when it gets too much that’s why I read and do my course to escape but at the moment I just want to be in bed alone and left. Honestly my son saves me everyday by being here. I hope you can find something to keep you going @Cress and I’m happy to help and listen too even though it’s hard to do it my self I will try this site is for supporting one another.

• Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Administrator Posts: 2,113 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Cress and @earthchild23 :) I'm sorry to read that you're both going through a difficult time at the moment. It's good to see you are both supporting each other. We've sent you each an email with some further advice and questions.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Hi @Tori_Scope I have replied to the email thankyou 
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Hi there good evening . I suffer with acute mental illnesses as a result of anti Pyschotic medication I put on 3 stone with in 6 months I became pre diabetic because of it . 

My weight is really hard fo loose as I can’t use a gym and hardly go out I also find it hard to follow home work outs . 

Is going to a gym some you could do maybe ? Regarding your mental health are you under a mental health team ? 
    Now Early risings to you @cupcake88
    I understand both my antidepressants and antipsychotics Cause me to weight gain and have no motivation one day I’m up and on a high and I just crash at the moment I’m in that period of uselessness and low. So I totally relate to not being able to go out or gym. Before lockdown I was seeing my local wellness ran and they support active ness now it’s just gone and I’ve gone with it. 
    In terms of mental health team yea I have a psychiatrist and a counsellor and off duty team numbers but you know all they will do is say what’s already been said and refer for more medication then consider hospital at it’s worst and I don’t want that, I’m the middle of being fine and crisis everyday it’s limbo and not nice. Thanks for getting in touch @cupcake88
    Hi @earthchild23 we have bobbed you an email back :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    Hi @Cher_Scope I have replied and Thankyou for the support 🥰
  • Samantha05Samantha05 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi @Cress and @earthchild23

I have joined the coffee lounge after reading your posts and fully understand what you are both saying. I have suffered with my mental health since my late teens and I’m now in my 50’s. I had a bi-polar diagnosis in my late 20’s and I’m on several kinds tablets, -weight gain is a major issue that I constantly worry about. For the last few years I feel that I’m experiencing ground hog day with nothing improving.  On good days I meditate and try and keep to a routine. Always remember to keep talking, try and remain hopeful, take baby steps when trying exercise, cut or meditation. and most importantly be kind to yourself 😊

Hi @Samantha05 and welcome to our community.  I'm glad you found us.

Your words of support will be of comfort to our other members so thank you for that  <3

We have a chat group dedicated to all things mental health that might interest you when you have time to read it.

I hope you are feeling okay today and remember if you ever need support to let us know. 

• Samantha05Samantha05 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank @Cher_Scope,
    I am going to have a look today. It is nice to know you are there for support. Thanks again.
    Hi guys 
    Update after days of being in pyjamas and down and closed off.. so I’ve got up today had a shower and will hopefully eat today asked my nail lady to come paint my nails and do some self care I hope to do face mask in afternoon being reading up on spas at home for mental health. I will hopefully come round to contacting mental health core team too.  Might seem small but is a big thing when you just feel like giving up and a little spark comes back. 
    Let’s see how long it lasts 
    @earthchild23 great you have decided to take some pamper time and hope you feel better for it 

Enjoy the nails and face mask 
    I agree that self-care is definitely a really great idea @earthchild23, and that it can be a big thing when you're feeling so low. 

I also hope that you get around to calling the mental health team, and that they can offer you some additional support :) 

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    Hi 🙋‍♀️ @Tori_Scope and @janer1967 yes I’ve booked for when lockdown is over for nails and have had a afternoon nap today, eaten and plan to do face masks I ordered online in the bath later 
    it’s small steps but it’s something to feel better about.
    Everytime I get low I have a high moment so I hope this lasts for a little time and you don’t have to put up with me meaning again on here which I’m sorry for. 
    My councellor called today so I never called mental health team I will do it tommorow and let you know how I get on.
    thank you 🥰
    That sounds like a relaxing day @earthchild23, and definitely a day to feel good about. Those small steps can often be the hardest to take.

You really don't need to apologise for anything. We're always here, whether you want some advice, a chat, or just need to get stuff off of your chest :) 

I'm glad your counsellor gave you a call, was it useful? 

Yes, please do let us know how you get on! 

Hi @Tori_Scope
    yes it’s been a more settled day, 
    I had a eye test in afternoon too with my son so I had to go out and we had a takeaway treat after days of not eating well (for me) 
    then in the evening I did the mask it was relaxing but hasn’t relaxed me enough to sleep. 
    Yes my counsellor spoke to me about my feelings ect, so I had someone to listen to me 👂 which helped me. But it’s now evening and the spark didn’t last that long I’m back to my thoughts again. I guess I have to live with it.
    hope you guys had a good and have tried today? 
    I'm glad to hear that @earthchild23 :) Ooh lovely, a takeaway always makes me feel better! What did you get? 

Have you tried anything else to help you sleep, like a mindfulness activity? How is your sleep hygiene

I can imagine that being able to chat things through with someone would help. I often find night time the worst too, as unpleasant thoughts can creep back in more easily. How are you feeling today? Have you managed to ring the mental health team? 

I think it's important to remember that, whilst there's no 'quick fix' for mental health problems, things can improve.

I've been having a good few days thanks :) 

Hey @Tori_Scope
    Yes it helped after the anxiety of going out and feeling even more closed in with the masks on for over a hour. We did get Chinese Noodle boxes. 
    Which we enjoyed! 

I listen to meditation music on a night, I don’t know about sleep hygiene but I can look it up. (From the link) 
    I called and never go through to mental health team I’ve bucked up the courage to do it and couldn’t get through so I’ll have to try again tommorow and hope someone answers. 
    My councellor explains me as dislocating my self when I have a low to getting high moment where I just try blank out feelings so at the moment that’s what’s happening I’m just numb with thoughts. 
    But as I can’t sleep tonight I will have a cup of tea and paint some furniture around the house. 
    Yes I’ve been waiting for most of my life for my mental health to be fixed but it isn’t. 
    Thankyou for accepting me in this safe place 
    Yes, I think a lot of people are having a similar experience when having to wear a mask for an extended period of time @earthchild23. Great choice of takeaway!

I definitely think sleep hygiene is worth looking into. It's helped me to get to sleep more easily. If you want me to send any other sleep-related resources just let me know!

That's frustrating. Is it that you're put on hold? Hopefully you'll get through today.

I see. Does that feel a little bit like dissociation? Have you ever tried grounding techniques? 

I hope you managed to get some rest last night. I can understand that it's disheartening when it feels like the problems have been going on forever, but you're doing all of the right things so let's hope things will steadily get a bit better.

Of course, that's what we're here for :) 

Hi @Tori_Scope

ive tried calling Mental health team again it’s just beeping noises on the phone and then the phone goes off. 
    So I will have to try again later, this is what I mean they tell you to contact them then when you do you can’t get through! 
    Tbh I think i have a sleep disorder and it’s all linked with my mental health because if I don’t sleep I have bad thoughts coming on and when I do sleep it’s bad dreams about my ex the abuser.
    It’s dissociation it’s a coping mechanism. 
    No it was a usual night but got about 3 hours this morning. 

Then on top of this DLA letter has come through for my son  that needs sorting out So I’m going through that filling it in. 
    I’m trying to give as much anecdotal evidence.

Thanks 😊 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Administrator Posts: 1,391 Pioneering
    edited November 27
    Hi @earthchild23, I'm sorry to hear you haven't been able to get through. Perhaps it might be due to the lockdown causing them to receive a lot of calls? Either way, fingers crossed you get through next time and I would urge you to keep trying :) 

Have you spoken to your GP about your lack of sleep? They might be able to recommend a treatment, or methods that will help you in that regard. You also might find this page from Mind helpful, about managing sleep problems brought on by mental health.

Best of luck with the DLA renewal form, if you need any advice on filling it in always remember you can ask in the PIP, DLA and AA category.
    Online Community Coordinator

Hi @earthchild23 Just checking in I see you have been up to some pampering , have you got your nails booked in now they can start working again

Are you sure you have the right number for the mental health team maybe it has changed, just a thought

Ive had a couple of bad nights not being able to sleep it comes and goes with me one extreme or the other

What furniture are you painting \?

Hoe you get some rest tonight and also manage to speak to your team
  • cupcake88cupcake88 Member Posts: 504 Pioneering
    Self care is very important I used to love getting my nails done not so much now days . I’m in tier 3 where I live which is depressing . I just wished things would go back to normal . 
    Hi @ross
    I did get through to the reception then the lady tried to put me through where there’s was no answer I was promised a call back and never got it, so I give up if I’m honest I don’t see the point. You know it’s supposed to be there for crisis and no one answers and on top of that I’ve had to fill in the DLA form myself as my family welfare worker isn’t at work, due to lockdown so it’s a right carry on. 
    I’m going to ask my go on Monday for some zopliclone I usually get it every few month when I get like this, I don’t think there’s anything anyone can do it’s all due to energy’s in the universe disturbing my when the moon changes I get like this. 
    Well I came on here to look at pointers and I’ve given as much examples as I can for each activity and I know if it doesn’t get put in there’s the tribunal, I’ve asked his school to write letters too. 

@janer1967 yes self care is impouvut with this condition as with many the motivation goes to even get dressed on a morning Most of time I take my son to school in my lounge wear or pyjamas I’ve past caring. But as it’s Christmas I wanted to do face masks and nails to feel better and the technician knows I have mental health so she comes to my house I’ve known her for years so I trust her I’ve painted my side board and coffee table I was sick of looking at the pine so I’ve done one white and other grey, and I’m currently on dpainting outside of mirrors it keeps me somewhat sane from the voices. 
    So I play music whilst doing it.
    I am greatful you guys check in don’t think I appreciate it. 
    @cupcake88
    Yea Boris and his bloody tiers is getting out of hand now he could of sorted this in the beginning and helped us with disabilities out but he’s just made it worse, so i relate with the depression I’m sure this is why I’m getting worse but I try stay away from conspiracies that are going around on how the government is trying to disadvantage us with disabilities. 

It's a huge shame you haven't been able to get through @earthchild23, and that your family welfare worker isn't in at the moment, that's an unfortunate coincidence.

I'm glad though that you've been able to do some painting and keep busy, face masks and nails sounds lovely. Is your son excited for Christmas?

What sort of music do you listen to while painting?

hi 🙋‍♀️ @Ross_Scope
    yes I haven’t been able to get through to the mental health team and have decided to cancel my course it’s all too much I need a break, but I guess with this I speak for all of us at the moment. 
    If I’m honest I’m not going to bother contact the mental health team anymore I’m not a priority as I haven’t attempted suicide so I’ll leave them to it. 
    Yes he’s excited for Christmas and the trimmings, but with the reviews going on for DLA and PIP I’m worried so I’m trying to get as much done now. 
    Hope you are ok
    i'm sorry to hear that @earthchild23, I hope you've been able to enjoy your weekend at least.

I'm not too bad thanks, quite tired, but who isn't these days?

Hi @Ross_Scope no I haven’t moods gone dim again but yeah you enjoy your weekend, thanks.
    Please do let us know how you get on with speaking to your GP today @earthchild23 :) I hope that getting the Zopiclone helps you to sleep better.

Hi @Tori_Scope
    No I haven’t spoke to GP as I said on email to @Cher_Scope I’ve had enough of calling up and not getting through so I’ll leave them to it and not bother.
    I’ll be ok for through worse, I’ll stop moaning on here now. 
    Thanks for past support.

@earthchild23 Sorry you haven't had any luck getting through to the GP.  It's understandable you are getting fed up of trying, I think most of us would be the same.  Please don't lose heart though and keep on at them if you can.  

Also, our community is here whenever you need us.  If you need a break we get it, but know that we don't think you are moaning  <3  Take care and please give us a nudge if we can help with anything.  

Hi yeah it’s fine and I’ve managed to get a prescription now and some advice from mental health team but still lack motivation hopefully this will pass by time Christmas comes around. Thank you
Sign in or join us to comment.