Hi, im Sul1! How will a postgraduate loan affect my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, im Sul1! How will a postgraduate loan affect my benefits?

Sul1
Sul1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi
i would like to know if I get ESA can I apply for a postgraduate loan? Will it affect my dla, child tax credit or housing benefit.

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

It will depend what ESA you're claiming, if it's income related ESA then some maintenance loans affect the amount you're entitled to.

Students and benefits are extremely complicated and for this reason i'd advise you to ring th disabled students helpline for further advice. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/helplines/disabled-students-helpline

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @sul1 and welcome to our online community!  Good luck with your postgraduate (PG) course if you decide on following that route :)

I've moved your question to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' discussion board so our benefit savvy members can see it and best advise you on how your benefits would be impacted by a PG loan.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Sul1
    Sul1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Poppy 

Thank you for replying. I’m receiving a dual element Esa I checked with dwp today. I receive £227.10 every two weeks as contribution based Esa with £34.20 income related Esa every two weeks. How will this affect me?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    As advised, the income related part of your ESA will be affected by any maintenance loans. Please ring the disabled students helpline and they will advise you correctly.

Do also be aware that if the studying contracticts the reasons why you're claiming ESA and DLA then it could go against you when you're next reassessed for ESA and you maybe invited to apply for PIP earlier than they intended to.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.