Neurological conditions
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

How do I stop severe hunger caused by fibromyalgia

deb74deb74 Member Posts: 651 Pioneering
edited November 25 in Neurological conditions
Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to stop feeling really hungry all the time if you have fibromyalgia. I am always hungry and often feel like I am going to be sick if I don't eat. I often feel like I haven't eaten for ages even if it is less than an hour since I did eat. It is driving me mad!

Replies

• OxonladyOxonlady Member Posts: 210 Pioneering
    Hi, @deb74, I have exactly the same problem with Fibromyalgia only it's even worse as I'm on steroids. I didn't realise that the Fibromyalgia also had that effect. It's been driving me mad, too! I want to lose weight but I'm barely mobile and being hungry all the time really doesn't help. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it! 
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,138 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

May i ask how you know it's the fibro that's causing this? Or have you just assumed this is what's causing it? I've had fibromyalgia for over 10 years and i must admit i've never heard of this as a symptom, although fibro does have many different sypmtoms and we are all affected differently.

Have you spoke to your GP about this? Maybe there's something else going on here, although we can't tell you what maybe going on because we are not medically trained.

Maybe you're not eating enough or not eating the right things to keep you fuller for longer.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 651 Pioneering
    Hi @poppy12345.When my doctor diagnosed my fibro he asked me if I had had a change in appetite but he didn't tell me how to stop the hunger. It doesn't matter what I eat I am always hungry! 
    Hi @Oxonlady. I can't imagine being on steroids as well as dealing with this. I have found that fibro causes all sorts of weird symptoms that you wouldn't expect.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Community champion Posts: 21,138 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never heard of hunger being a symptom and reading this link here it doesn't mention hunger. https://www.healthline.com/health/fibromyalgia#natural-remedies

My advice still stands, speak to your GP because i'm not convinced this is related to fibro. Please do let us know the outcome, i'd be very interested.

Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Sorry @poppy123456. But If you can be bothered to read the reply from Oxonlady you will see I am not the only one with this symptom! and as you have already said we are all different. Just because you don't suffer from it that doesn't mean it isn't a symptom. As I have already said one of the questions my doctor asked me was about my appetite. I have also said that my doctor didn't tell me how to deal with it. I was looking for some peoples suggestions on how they dealt with the symptom not people telling me it isn't a symptom!
  • Francis_theythemFrancis_theythem Member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    edited November 20
    If i can jump in, I think what Poppy's getting at is that if it is another condition, treating that condition will manage the symptom. Understanding what's going on, which bodily system and the cause is important so we can find the right treatment. Also, if someone else has the symptom who has fibro it doesn't mean it's automatically and exclusively fibro e.g. could be a consequence or a comorbid disorder of the fibro present in some people.
    My personal opinion is it's better to go back to your doctor with this symptom exclusively as they will be able to a) double check that there is nothing else that *may* be going on to make sure it's not part of something else that's easily treatable and b) they can give you symptomatic advice, or prescribe medication that could help.
    Generally, drinking lots of liquid at once can fill your stomach up so can trick your body into thinking you have a fuller stomach. It's something I used to quell hunger when I had anorexia. But because I don't have the understanding of what's the cause and what's going on in your body I can't really give any coping tips.
    when I  went to see my doctor he asked me if my appetite had changed and told me it was a symptom of fibromyalgia in some people but couldn't suggest a way of stopping it! I will try drinking more and see if it helps.
    deb74 said:
    Sorry @poppy123456. But If you can be bothered to read the reply from Oxonlady you will see I am not the only one with this symptom! and as you have already said we are all different. Just because you don't suffer from it that doesn't mean it isn't a symptom. As I have already said one of the questions my doctor asked me was about my appetite. I have also said that my doctor didn't tell me how to deal with it. I was looking for some peoples suggestions on how they dealt with the symptom not people telling me it isn't a symptom!

If you happen to look at the time in which myself and oxonlady posted our comments then you will see that there was a 2 minute time difference, which could have meant that we cross posted with each other. As it happens i didn't actually see the comment. So it's not a case of "being bothered to read the comment"! but thanks for the advice here, i'll bear that im mind next time i answer 1 of thousands of posts here.

My advice still stands, sorry. You need to speak to your GP because it could be something totally unrelated to fibro. I won't make any further comments on your thread but please be mindful to others.
  • Francis_theythemFrancis_theythem Member Posts: 103 Pioneering
    deb74 said:
    when I  went to see my doctor he asked me if my appetite had changed and told me it was a symptom of fibromyalgia in some people but couldn't suggest a way of stopping it! I will try drinking more and see if it helps.
    This is exactly the point I'm making - understanding why it is happening, whether or not it is within the scope of fibro, is important to understand how to stop it. For example, it could be a result of malabsorption as a consequence of fibro, where your body is just not capable of absorbing the food you're eating, in which case the treatment would be based around that. Or, not regulating serotonin properly as a consequence of fibro can cause hunger as serotonin regulates hunger, among other things. In which case the treatment to alleviate the symptom is very different.  
    This is my advice, to properly investigate it so you can understand and treat it effectively. Liquid is a stop-gap measure but not a solution.
    I will go back to see my doctor again !
Sign in or join us to comment.