Is there anyone who's in the Support Group and became self-employed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there anyone who's in the Support Group and became self-employed?

LuckeeBlackCat1
LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
edited November 2020 in Work and employment
Hi, all. Hope you are well. I have complex conditions, ME, type 2 diabetes, PTSD, depression, IBS due to past domestic abuse. I love making art, design, comic drawing, life writing and watch films, reading. Also love cats. I find SCOPE do info on Self-employment. (When I checked a couple of years ago, wasn't. But for long-term sick and disabled self-employment however the scale is worthwhile and empowering. I want to be self-employed designer. But I have no support whatsoever. I am scared of talking to JobCentre, as I'm in Support Group of ESA and may get sanction. Is there anyone who got support and became self-employed?  
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You can't be sanctioned because you're in the Support Group. You can work while claiming ESA as it's called permitted work. Although you must make sure that you work less than 16 hours per week and earn no more than £140 per week after deductions. If you earn more than this then your ESA will stop. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/Permitted-Work-Rules

You will also need to make sure that the work you do doesn't contradict the reasons why you're claiming ESA, otherwise you could be re-assessed early and the decision could go against once it's made.

You will need to fill out a PW1 form from DWP for the permited work.

Can't answer your questions about self employed support though, sorry. Hopefully someone will see this and be able to help further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LuckeeBlackCat1
    LuckeeBlackCat1 Community member Posts: 21 Connected
    Thanks Poppy123456. 
    I am fully aware of limitation and risk in ESA, Support Group. That is why I am asking our community! 
    But I have had Permitted Work as self-employed while with Incapacity Benefit for three years. It's quite different nowadays by Tory DWP!! They used to bully me when I attended Work -Related Activity interviews when I had no confidence to do any work. (Vote Labour!! I supported my local Disability rep to be elected for national post!)  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.