Hi, my name is Kay! My daughter gets PIP, would she be entitled to UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Kay! My daughter gets PIP, would she be entitled to UC?

ckolade
ckolade Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello all. 
My daughter is 20yrs with Global delay. She receives PIP and get limited shortbreak support. Would she be entitled to further financial support like Universal credit?
We just have the feelings that she could be missing out on her entitlements as we have always covered all her expenses.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,344 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

May i ask if your daughter is a student? If she is and she lives at home with you then no, she won't be able to claim Universal Credit because students are unable to claim this unless they have been assessed as having limited capability for work,

If she's not a student then yes she will be able to claim Universal Credit and she'll need a fit/sick note from her GP to start the work capability assessment process off. She will receive the standard allowance for under 25's at £342.72 per month but do be aware that this allowance has been increase by about £90 per month but is expected to end in April 2021.

You'll need to claim online here. https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @ckolade

Welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

Just to let you know, I have moved your discussion to our parents category. I hope the above information has been helpful and it would be nice to see you sticking around on the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • ckolade
    Thank you for your response. Much appreciated. It's great to join the community. 

My daughter lives at home. She completed the internship programme at GOSH last year 2019 and she has not been able to secure an employment since then. She still has her EHCP as we are exploring a College programme as well whilst still looking for suitable job she would be able to do, but COVID has not helped.

I will contact her GP today to request for her fit/sick note and start the work capability assessment process. Thank you so much.

In the meantime, we are trying to get her back into routine of daily activities, as COVID has disrupted her routine. She stopped her voluntary job at the beginning of the pandemic.

Any suggestions of daily activities she can be involved with safely would be appreciated. She currently does virtual ballet with icandance and outing with her carer on Saturdays.

• poppy123456
    Please use the link above to start a claim for Universal Credit for your daughter, you will need to report that she has a health condition that limits her ability to work. First payment is 5 weeks after you submit her claim and it can't be backdated so my advice is to claim as soon as possible.

You will need to continue to send the fit notes until a decision's been made on the work capability assessment. The assessment is similar to PIP but with different criteria. You will need to send evidence for this when you return the work capability assessment form. If she's given limited capability for work and work related activity (LCWRA) then she'll receive and extra £341 per month from the 4th month of her claim. If a decision takes longer than this then she'll be backdated any money that's owed.

For daily activities then i'd advise you to have a google search to see what's available in your area. Covid restrictions vary depend on where you live. In my area there isn't any activities at the moment sadly. Covid has taken a lot of things away from people. My daughter has a disability too and lost everything she had when the first lockdown was put into place, so i know the difficulties you're experiencing.

Once you've claimed UC for her, if you have any further questions please do ask and i'm sure someone will advise you further.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @ckolade :) The virtual ballet sounds great. What else do you think your daughter might be interested in? Would she enjoy something like an online choir? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • ckolade
    Thanks for your suggestions Poppy12345. The UC application has now been completed and the process has begun. 

To Tori, I asked my daughter about the online choir, she puts her hand under her chin, looked up into the ceiling for few second and said, 'hmmmm. let me think about it'. A few days later, she is still thinking about it. 

After her ballet session this morning, she finally said, 'i haven't sung in a choir for a long time'.
    I guess she is still thinking about it.  

In the meantime, can I have more information about the choir to share with her? bearing in mind that Tammy cannot read, but she loves miming to all her favourite songs on Youtube.

I have found her primary school choir videos and I am playing these to her gradually. 
  • poppy123456
    @ckolade i think Tori was advising about choirs in general, rather than anything specific. Have you tried using google to see what's available? A quick search has found these. https://blog.chorusconnection.com/virtual-choirs-in-2020

• ckolade
    Fantastic. My daughter liked this. We will look into it. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, I was just mentioning it as a general idea @ckolade :) I'm glad she's interested in the idea! I hope you manage to find a choir she can join.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.