What are you scared of? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are you scared of?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
If anything, what are you scared of?

Me? I'm terrified of what's going to happen to me in a few years if/when Mum and Dad become too old to look after me or when they're eventually taken to a Funeral Home and not brought back.

On a lighter note, I'm scared of cold water, to an effect I hate showers, I'd much rather have a bath. I'm also scared of small dogs, a friend of Mum's used to have a litttle Yorkshire Terrier and the damn thing was a monster lol, although having said that I'd have a little West Highland White if I could, they're kind of cute.

So anyway, is there anything you guys are scared of?

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    I am terrified of heights and I do mean terrified.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I don't really like heights either but what I am really scared of is large spiders and snakes.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Putting aside things I am scared of as a result of my problems (large groups of people, aggression, driving on the motorway etc.)...

- Large spiders and insects. I can deal with smaller ones but large ones are too much for me. I’m sorry to say I have to kill them and if I take a swipe at a spider and it drops down behind the bed or something I have to pull the whole room apart until I’ve found and disposed of said spider or I won’t be able to sleep!!

- Military tanks, I really don’t like them for some reason. Even ones in museums I am not too fond of. I hate the barrel pointing at me. I think it’s the inhuman aspect - a person pointing a gun at you has that human bit to it but a lump of metal pointing its gun at you just scares me. Also on video games I don’t like dealing with enemy tanks and often get someone else to do those levels.

- Reverse parking or really any car maneuverers when there are people watching. I just get embarrassed!!
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Snakes definitely.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I first read that as snacks and had a bemused look on my face.

My fears hinge around public speaking, dentists and I'm not a big fan of walking over bridges.  *bead of sweat appears on brow* 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope I used to be afraid of dentists but since they collectively have done all the things I was scared of them doing I’m kind of over it. Kind of. I still avoid going.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Being alive...

Most people with health anxiety seem to be scared of dying, I'm the opposite, it's the only thing that gives me some comfort.  I'm constantly scared of all the horrendous injuries and illnesses that could affect my body at any point in time.

As well as people, animals, outdoors, indoors, heights, depths...tbh, it's probably easier to list things I'm not scared of!  :D
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Im scared of monkeys and birds 

I was attacked by a bird when I was young  as I was walking along a promenade, it keep swooping down at me and pecking my arm pinning me down. Took my dad several attempts to stop it

Fear of mon keys comes from going to a safari park and them climbing all over the car
  • [Deleted User]
    janer1967 said:
    Im scared of monkeys and birds 

I was attacked by a bird when I was young  as I was walking along a promenade, it keep swooping down at me and pecking my arm pinning me down. Took my dad several attempts to stop it

Fear of mon keys comes from going to a safari park and them climbing all over the car
    In most cases, Monkeys are harmless, they just want to play!

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2020
    Being alive...

Most people with health anxiety seem to be scared of dying, I'm the opposite, it's the only thing that gives me some comfort.  I'm constantly scared of all the horrendous injuries and illnesses that could affect my body at any point in time.

As well as people, animals, outdoors, indoors, heights, depths...tbh, it's probably easier to list things I'm not scared of!  :D
    I’ve thought about this before and I agree. I think most people aren’t scared of being dead but of the process of dying and what horrific stuff will happen to their body just before they die and death would be a release from that and something to be embraced. If everyone died in their sleep I think it would be different.

I went through a phase of wanting to be dead and explored all the ways of doing it but I guess a bit like you I decided I couldn’t cope with what I would have to do to my body to cause it to die and I looked at it logically  <moderator removed - potentially distressing detail> I wouldn’t be strong enough to go through with it once I’d started and I’d end up worse off i.e. injured and still alive. I do wonder if I lived in a country like America where everyone has access to a quick and painless way of death whether I’d still be here!
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys

Just a reminder that should anyone be struggling with feelings of low mood, you can always speak to:
    • The Samaritans by calling 116123 or emailing jo@samaritans.org
    • A trained crisis volunteer from Shout by texting 'SHOUT' to 85258
    • Or, if you feel your safety is at risk - always, always call 999 and ask for an ambulance
    This is a safe space and it's great you feel comfortable sharing these thoughts (as many others no doubt do too), but we just want to keep you all well and cared for <3
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm also terrified of Snakes, especially big ones, because years ago some nutter brought a MASSIVE Python fo Assembly at school and wanted to put it on me!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Needles and snakes are two of my bigger 'superficial' (for want of a better word) ones. I also get very nervous when doing public speaking. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.