Any advise? Want to drive but don't qualify for the PIP, Motability and Blue badge scheme — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advise? Want to drive but don't qualify for the PIP, Motability and Blue badge scheme

Options
RacheleLeahSilvera
RacheleLeahSilvera Scope Member Posts: 77 Courageous
edited December 2020 in Transport and travel
I have an undiagnosed physical condition, have 24/7 pain and severe tiredness. I would love to start driving because it will allow me to be  independent but having a disability means paying more for lessons on top of paying hundreds for needed adaptions and insurance. As the benefit system say that I am faking my life-long issues I will never qualify for PIP, Blue badge and Motability.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

When you say the "benefit system says you'll never qualify for PIP" I'm assuming by this that you've applied and been refused. Have you ever taken that decision to a Tribunal? if not may i ask why not?

Being award mobility part of PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Blue badge is irrelevant here because you don't need a mobility award to be entitled and don't need to be able to drive either. People have blue badges that don't have a mobility award.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Would it be wise to drive whilst suffering from "severe" tiredness ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RacheleLeahSilvera
    Options
    @woodbine
    My tiredness doesn't effect my ability to drive. It would make my life so much easier.
  • RacheleLeahSilvera
    Options
    HI,

When you say the "benefit system says you'll never qualify for PIP" I'm assuming by this that you've applied and been refused. Have you ever taken that decision to a Tribunal? if not may i ask why not?

Being award mobility part of PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

Blue badge is irrelevant here because you don't need a mobility award to be entitled and don't need to be able to drive either. People have blue badges that don't have a mobility award.

@poppy123456
    The thing about it is that without out the 3 that I mentioned above I will be unable to have access to help, support and advise on what is available as a disabled driver.
  • RacheleLeahSilvera
    Options
    @poppy123456
    And yes I have and I was rejected.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,052 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can of course apply again anytime but doing so using the same evidence you previously used will very likely see another refusal. With PIP if you don't meet the descriptors, you won't score the points for an award. You can have a disability but it doesn't mean you qualify for PIP and there are some people that won't qualify, although i'm not saying you don't.

Of course no one here knows exactly how your conditions affect you so please don't take that comment personally, i was purely stating a fact.

You can have adaptions to a vehicle without have a mobility vehicle, even with a mobility vehicle the adaptions won't all be free but it would depend on what adaptions you need. I'm not sure where a blue badge comes into this because as advised, this can be achieved without a mobility award. There are also people that have a Enahnced mobility award but don't automatically qualify for the BB.

If you do decide to reapply then i'd advise you to get some expert advice before starting a claim and for this, start here.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • soconfused
    soconfused Community member Posts: 102 Courageous
    Options
    How does someone get a blue badge with no award? I mean you need 8 pip points to get one or has it now changed? 

Good if so! but I can't find anywhere to say it has so I wanted to ask 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,611 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @soconfused I believe you have to approach your local council and apply for a badge. Having points for certain things on the PIP assessment gets you a badge automatically but anyone can apply for a badge regardless of PIP and the council will decide whether you can have one or not. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's also an online application form for Blue Badges, which asks you some questions about why you might need one @soconfused
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Merl
    Merl Community member Posts: 18 Courageous
    Options
    Hope that the following might be useful:

www.drivingmobility.org.uk
    Information can be found on the following:

Assessments
    Driving with a disability
    Alternatives to driving
    Other useful information

Contacting your nearest Mobility Centre

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.